Need more input on cloth diaper/trainer choices

scatterbunny

So I'm ready to order, but can't decide. :rolleyes:

I decided against Happy Heinys because of how loose they look.

These are what I'm looking at:

XL Snap-ez pocket diaper
http://www.snap-ez.com/CartPocketXL.html

6/8 Snap-ez AIO trainer
http://www.snap-ez.com/CartAIOTrainers68.html

XL Fuzzibunz pocket diaper
http://fuzzibunzstore.com/Fuzzi-Bunz-Single-with-Microterry-Insert--Extra-Large-p-100.html

Hayley's tall and big for her age, 48 inches tall and 48 pounds, but her measurements are pretty small: 22 inch waist, 14 inch thigh, not sure on the rise. We need these for nighttime-only, need lots of absorption, like the snaps because they're easier to get on and off.

What are your thoughts? What should I go with? The FB seems cheaper, but do they work as well?

ADS

Dillipop

I would go with a pocket trainer, because it allows you to decide how much absorbancy is needed. I have some of the snap-ez pocket trainers in size 4-5 and love them. I can send you pics of my 3 1/2 year old if you'd like. I also have some pics of him in the happy heiney's to compare. He is much smaller...about 40 inches and around 40 pounds, but you could at least see what the smaller size looks like. Just let me know if you want to see the pics.

scatterbunny

See, I liked the looks of the pocket diapers more than the pocket trainers. :confused: I'm so confused!

I'd like to see the pics, though! Hayley has the same waist and thigh measurements as techrgrrl's (I know I butchered that name, LOL) son, who's only a bit above 40 inches and right about 40 pounds. So she is a good 6-8 inches taller and almost 10 pounds heavier but is so solid and thin!

Lea_Ontario

We've got 1 pocket trainer - it gaps horribly between the snaps, so if she lays on her side AT ALL, I'd expect leaking.

I'd get the XL FuzziBunz - but that's just my opinion. The work like a dream, and you can customize the absorbancy.

Dillipop

I forwarded you the message I sent to someone else about these trainers. It has links and I believe I saw his measurements before I hit send. HTH!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Have you ever seen/used a FuzziBunz? We used cloth diapers and had a few FuzziBunz in our stash. They work really well and if used with the micro-inserts, they're very thin and not bulky at all. I thought they made a training pant? Also, we've had friends swear by the Mother-Ease products and they have a training pant:

http://www.mother-ease.com/database...9&SID=f2410bdc4c68c6c8c79faf9f2d5f4120&Loc=US

Now, if you want to get as obsessed with cloth diapers as with carseats, go to the cloth diaper board on mothering.com:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=221
Those folks know cloth diapers like the folks here know carseats ;)

Maria

scatterbunny

Okay, I decided against the AIO trainer, I like the option of adding/removing inserts. So the Nap-ez stuffable trainers look better for our needs. But ouch! $35-$40 for ONE (with insert). The Snap-ez pocket diaper is a little cheaper, by a few bucks.

The XL Fuzzibunz plus a hemp liner would be about $25.

I prefer the looks of the actual diapers, they seem more absorbent, but maybe I'm wrong and the pocket trainers would be better-suited for my older child? She can pull them on herself (versus needing help with the diapers, probably), and unsnap them in the morning (she hates pulling wet panties off, so the snaps are nice).

I have some pocket trainers I bought for nighttime use with my 5y/o dd, who was, until recently, having trouble staying dry at night. I *think* they are Happy Heinys, but they might have been SnapEZs.... :confused: Anyway, they work quite well. They only unsnap on one leg, so I don't think I'd like them much if I were using them for daytime training purposes. They are a little "poofy" when worn, as someone mentioned. Wouldn't go well under clothing (another reason I'd have been dissatisfied using them as trainers).

I've also had FuzziBunz and know that they work quite well, too. I think you'd do well with whatever you choose to buy, honestly. Have fun with it!

scatterbunny

The Motherease look comfy, but they aren't absorbent enough for our needs (it says they aren't as absorbent as a diaper). :(

And now I'm thinking a pocket trainer isn't the way to go, because of the gapping that Kashi commented on.

So back to my favorite choice so far, the XL Fuzzibunz. I've never used a cloth diaper in my life, so this will be a new experience!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
You'll be happy with the FB. B/c of the pocket, you can always double up on liners, if you need to. I don't think we ever had a leak in a FB...?

Shaunam

I'd personally go with the FB, unless she's at the age where she needs independence and privacy with that stuff. FB's she'll probably need help getting on, but will be able to take off herself. It'll probably be the best for fit though because you can adjust the waist and thigh seperately.

Whatever you get, make sure you get enough absorbancy. One hemp insert will not be enough. I use prefolds in our pockets overnight with great sucess. A toddler prefold might fit in an XL FB and those bad boys absorb a LOT. :D

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I use prefolds in our pockets overnight with great sucess. A toddler prefold might fit in an XL FB and those bad boys absorb a LOT. :D

We used prefolds 90% of the time with the FB - very absorbent. Just didn't know if at her age she may not want a "diaper" in there, ya know? Maybe double/triple up on inserts, but that's going to cost more than one or two prefolds...

scatterbunny

Thanks, everyone, for the input. :)

I don't think Hayley will care about me needing to help her get them on, really. I think she'll just be happy to not wake up soaking wet every morning.

Prefolds are cheaper than inserts anyway, so I'll just go with the micro insert that comes with the diaper and buy some cheap prefolds.

scatterbunny

So does everyone think an XL FB (35+ pounds, 14-16 inch thigh) will work?

Her measurements, again:

48 pounds
22 inch waist
14 inch thigh

She wears a size 6/6x in almost everything. Her legs are so long a size 7 pant fits her best in length but swims on her in the waist. Size 6/6x just now fits, for the most part, in the waist.

scatterbunny

Can anyone show me a pic of an older child IN a FB pocket diaper? I want to compare to the pic I have of a child in the Snap-ez pocket diaper.

Shaunam

I'd be most worried about the rise. Thigh and waist will be fine I'm sure. Worst case scenerio is you try it, it doesn't fit, and you send it back (or sell it on ebay if they won't take it back). :)

didymama

i'm going to throw something else in here-motherease makes bedwetter pants. they have great reviews-just don't remember where. motherease.com.

scatterbunny

OK, if the rise is the only potential problem with an XL, we'll go with that size first. :) Hayley wears low-rise undies because they're more comfy for her, the regular briefs always slide down naturally and end up bunched up, and it drives her crazy.

That's part of the reason I don't want to go with the pocket trainers; the design of those is just so loose and blousey.

So does anyone have any input about the Fuzzibunz pocket diapers (not trainers) compared to the Snap-EZ pocket diapers?

The plain-color Snap-EZ are cheaper than the Fuzzibunz: http://www.snap-ez.com/CartPocketXL.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC