Would this be to crazy???

Mommy2Marcus

I hope I am putting this in the right place, feel free to move it if it is not.

Okay, so we're going to be going van/SUV/car shopping for me hopefully soon. I was thinking about it on the way back from the store. How crazy of an idea would it be to try my car seat into the cars I am looking at? Since Marcus & the next child will be in seats for a good long while to come, I want to make sure that whatever I get is not an absolute nightmare to install seats in. I am also wondering how absolutly NUTS the car salesman will think I am.

So...tell me how crazy this idea is. Would you do it??

ADS
IMO you are SO totally sane and practical and sensible for planning to bring your car seats, and any car salesperson who thinks you're loony for doing that deserves to lose a sale:p
We brought our seats the last time we went car shopping (well, we had to - brought the kids too!) I think any good car salesperson would be polite and accommodating to any potential customers who bring child safety seats along to test out, even if the normal occupants of those seats aren't along for the ride.

Spam

I say absolutely not crazy!! I beg DH to test drive cars just so I can try out seats in them :eek:

Kaede's_Mom

I have always taken my seats when car shopping. Some sales men (usualy those with out kids) think you are nuts, but most dont care they will do what ever it takes to make the sale.

rodentranger

When we went shopping for my Pilot last year, I absolutely brought my seats! I also brought my seats with my SIL when they went shopping for her DH's Mazda 3. And I checked Nissan's website when my mom was shopping for her new car.
Salesmen without kids looked at us a bit odd, but didn't say anything. Not that I would have cared if they did. :whistle:

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks for making me feel sane! However I just thought about something. We will be test driving whatever car(s) we are interested in. Marcus will also more than likely be with us. This means we will have to install the seat in whatever vehicle we test drive! SO.......I would have to install it anyhow. Hopefully no one will give me trouble. However I will be pursistant that I NEED to try seats in them.

emandbri

I took seats when we bought our camry and the sienna. With the camry I went a step further and made sure we could fit three in a row if we had to.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I definitely don't think it's crazy, but I personally consider a car to be a "bigger" purchase than a carseat, and I would have been willing to buy a different carseat if it did not fit in the car I chose.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Not crazy at all, or just count me in as a proud member of the "crazy carseat trying out car shopper's" club, because that's what I've done for car purchase decisions since having kids. ;) I highly recommend it to be sure a car is going to be workable for your family's needs and to help avoid surprises about carseat compatibility and other related details like locations of tether anchors or lack thereof, etc. :)

MANDY1234

When we were looking for a new car last time, the only thing I want to know was was there LATCH, where and How many tether! The car sales men usually have to go find the manual for me ;) I think you'll have no problem!! YOUR the buyer !!!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Uh no. not only are you not crazy, you would be crazy for NOT doing that.
I would bring every seat you have, and borrow a few. This will be the vehicle you transport your kids in for the next...???forever? lol, so you NEED to see what your situation is going to be. You would be very, very stupid to buy a vehicle, and then realize "oh, hey, this sucks with carseats" - which I see people do ALL the time.
Bring a booster..have an adult sit in the back seats, take note of everything. Vent placement? Seat belts, placement, latch, what seat folds, what moves, etc. Bring your big stroller, put it in the back, look at the space for groceries, etc. Room front to back, rearfacing installs? I'm super-anal, lol.

aeormsby

I took our seats and tried them in multiple positions both RF & FF (DD wasn't 2 yet & still RF but I knew she'd be FF eventually). We spent a lot of time just sitting on the lot messing with the seats & reading the manual. I also found a Saturn forum (we were looking at a Saturn Outlook) and found other perspectives on carseats and other points about the car.
Ann

Mommy2Marcus

I definitely don't think it's crazy, but I personally consider a car to be a "bigger" purchase than a carseat, and I would have been willing to buy a different carseat if it did not fit in the car I chose.

Well, If we go ahead with the car purchase we really need to stick with the seats we have. So I really need my seat to fit. The only seat I am worried about right now is the MR. It is the one that NEEDS to fit for sure.

Not crazy at all, or just count me in as a proud member of the "crazy carseat trying out car shopper's" club, because that's what I've done for car purchase decisions since having kids. ;) I highly recommend it to be sure a car is going to be workable for your family's needs and to help avoid surprises about carseat compatibility and other related details like locations of tether anchors or lack thereof, etc. :)

I will deffinatly be checking for LATCH, TA's, & compatibility. I know this man is going to think I am absolutly NUTS, but that is okay. I agree that I need to know all this.

Uh no. not only are you not crazy, you would be crazy for NOT doing that.
I would bring every seat you have, and borrow a few. This will be the vehicle you transport your kids in for the next...???forever? lol, so you NEED to see what your situation is going to be. You would be very, very stupid to buy a vehicle, and then realize "oh, hey, this sucks with carseats" - which I see people do ALL the time.
Bring a booster..have an adult sit in the back seats, take note of everything. Vent placement? Seat belts, placement, latch, what seat folds, what moves, etc. Bring your big stroller, put it in the back, look at the space for groceries, etc. Room front to back, rearfacing installs? I'm super-anal, lol.

LOL! I am deffinatly going to be checking for all this. My big stroller is at my moms right now, which sucks b/c I would LOVE to try that sucker in the back. It is massive. It really does not fit in my current trunk or DH's. It is a Graco Coach & Rider which also turns into a pram. I LOVE it! Thanks for all the tips on what to try. I appreciate it.

Thanks everyone else for making me feel sane about this.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I did it when I decided on a whim one day to look at cars. One was totally a no go. I ended up buying my Malibu!

Kaegan

I think it's crazy that you are even wondering if it's crazy!

Your child's safety, and your ability to properly install the car seat are paramount. You are purchasing an extremely expensive long-term item, a CAR!

What's crazy is the feeling that you, the consumer, the one spending thousands of dollars, should cater to the salesman, the one making the money off your purchase.

Do what you need to do for your self and your kids and be confident in that and don't apologize.

aclayton74

Not crazy at all....we just bought a Pontiac G6 this past weekend and I wish I would have tried the car seat.

kaysmom

Nope not crazy, I'd also vote for the crazy if you dont;) And if someone "gives you trouble" as you said just give them trouble back by walking away:whistle: There are TONS of dealerships that would LOVE to sell you a car right now, so dont feel like your being an incovinence to them at all!

monstah

When I was car shopping, I was installing car seats in every car. Not a single salesman said boo. One even tried to help. Lets just say eek.
And when I made my final decision, I brought the whole family for a test ride, car seats and all. We took a cruise, loved it, then bought it. :D

hboo22

When I was car shopping, I was installing car seats in every car. Not a single salesman said boo. One even tried to help. Lets just say eek.

yeah, when I got my Pacifica I got to keep it for a weekend (perks of small town dealership) :) and the salesman tried to help by putting the other seat in while I installed one.....yikes, but at least he was helpful :)

I say absolutely take your seats with you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC