Reading product reviews are so annoying

Kellyr2

I was looking on target's site, at the recaro reviews. here's a couple - http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...iew=custReviews&asin=B000AHJJR8#R6LUWL0JZJC5V
Now, I don't question that it's an awesome seat. but I've just seen so many reviews from people who choose this over a britax for their INFANTS, "because we'll need a booster after the MA, but this converts to a booster." They don't consider the fact at all, that the MA would allow them to continue to RF their one year olds, and would then harness beyond 40 lbs. man! no more review reading!

ADS

ktmo

I was looking at Target's site the other day, and someone has gone through on all of the infant seats and posted Consumer Reports test scores. I think they only give the score and if it passed or failed. I want to go through and respond to them all. It is horrible.

Katie

Splash

Hmm... but doesn't it rear face? I mean, ALL seats are safe rear facing as long as your seatbelt is long enough, right?
Yes, I know that's not true. But I've seen that WAY too many times. "It says on the box for forward facing only, but it's okay as long as you have a long seatbelt and can get it really tight. My son is 45 pounds and still rear facing in his Graco Cargo!"

Kellyr2

holy crap! i think i'd pass out if i heard that. I know lots of poeople think their 3 in 1s that go to 100 allow you to harness to 100 though.

Morganthe

Whoa -- Target has really messed up!
• For children weighing 18-40lbs. with the harness system and for children 30-80lbs. as booster seat

Bold highlight is mine.

from Recaro.com:
This innovative seat offers the latest safety protection like energy-absorbing EPS foam, deep side wings and an excellent fit for children weighing 20 - 80 lbs.

I wouldn't place a 20lb child in it, but to state on the Target website an 18lb limit is extremely inaccurate and illegal in many states. I hope no one uses it as a guideline :(

Splash

But to those people, I have to look at them like they're stupid. Come ON! What person do you know weighs a hundred pounds and could still fit in that harness? Common sense people, it's FREE.

scatterbunny

Then they changed it and retailers haven't realized it. When the Young Sport was first released the minimum weight really was 18 pounds.

RubysGirl

LOL.. I was helping my friend who worked in a church nursery a number of years ago and there was one mother who used the 3 in 1 seats for her two kids.. both just over 40lbs, because the slots were so high and it harnessed to 100lbs. No matter what I said or what I brought in and showed her, she just did not believe me that she couldnt' use it with the harness past 40lbs or in the highest setting.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmm... but doesn't it rear face? I mean, ALL seats are safe rear facing as long as your seatbelt is long enough, right?
Yes, I know that's not true. But I've seen that WAY too many times. "It says on the box for forward facing only, but it's okay as long as you have a long seatbelt and can get it really tight. My son is 45 pounds and still rear facing in his Graco Cargo!"

OMG!!!! That is awful!!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
But to those people, I have to look at them like they're stupid. Come ON! What person do you know weighs a hundred pounds and could still fit in that harness? Common sense people, it's FREE.

LOL!!! I have had this argument on MANY occasions. Some people are convinced they can continue to use the harness. Like you said, Splash, how many 100-pound people can fit in that harness?

kelly

I saw an Amazon review for the Recaro Young Sport that said something about it being a "GREAT seat, BUT its far too upright when rear facing so we returned it....." HUH?

I flagged it as did some others from baby bargains and it was quickly removed.

tjham

I'm on a parenting board and every few months someone says the same thing about the 3 in 1's going to 80 or 100 lbs. harnessed. I gently tell them the truth and mostly, after they check their manual, they thank me! People just don't read the manual (or even the stickers on the side of the seat!)

Part of the reason I originally bought the AOE 3-in-1 last August was that a couple of websites had it listed as
RF-35lb.
FF-80lb.
BPB-100lb.

I actually had it compared to the Radian (and other seats) on a comparison chart I drew up, and decided that buying it on sale for $109 was a better bargain than the $199 for the Radian, when the AOE (I thought) was rated to 80# and the Radian to "only" 65#. ::shrug:: I wish I could remember which site had it listed as FF to 80#, but it turned out to be misleading.

scatterbunny

The 3-in-1s are my most hated convertible, not because they are a BAD seat, but because they are the most likely seat to be misused, in my opinion, because of people thinking it harnesses to 80 pounds and because of the low top harness slots/rule against using the top headrest setting for the harness.

I can so relate to that! By the time I'd read through the manual from front to back and through again, I'd realized that I would never be using that seat for half of the time I thought I would, and that many of the features (like the highest harness/headrest setting) would be totally useless in harnessed mode. Then, I found out it's a loser of a BPB as well! So, while I've found it to be a GREAT seat for a FF child < 40#, I will certainly NOT be getting my money's worth out of it as I originally thought I would. It's merely adequate (WRT ease of use) as a RF seat, mainly due to difficulty in getting it installed, and difficulty managing the harness release mechanism when it's jammed up against the vehicle's seat back. Makes ins & outs much more difficult.

Jennskiddos

Not according to the specs on their website http://www.recaro.com
RECARO Young Sport - Product Features:
Youth Seat
20 – 80 lbs
up to 59 inches

Dimensions:
Width: 18.1 in
Height: 26.38 - 31.3 in (adjustment range)
Length: 21.26 - 25.98 in
Seat Weight: 22.5 pounds

We have the Young Sport and our manual says minimum of 18 pounds. (no we dont use it for that young but that is the weight limit)
Jenn
Kaitlyn 01/01
Dalton 06/03

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC