Do people normally pay for a car seat check?

LP Mom

The one decent car check service in my area charges $99 a seat! I just need someone to double check my install. Ugh!

ADS

Maedze

Being a CPST is a thankless job. :cool: It requires continuing education, travel, organization and time, generally on the CPSTs dime (very few of us work as salaried CPSTs). Although I work for 'free', some CPSTs do charge for the work.

jess71903

Ambassador
Around here they don't. Have you tried to find individual techs in your area that might be willing to meet you?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you contact the ones on here?

I don't charge when I do private checks, and the events I work are free to the public. Sometimes I get paid for them, sometimes not. I consider it a bonus to be paid, not a bummer not to.

Would you like to post pics of your installation here so we can look at it? That may tide you over the three weeks knowing that a bunch of eyes, if not hands, have seen it and checked it over as best as we can.

Wendy

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Safety Squad does offer a much less expensive drive up service, it's $55. It's on their website if you want the info.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do not charge for checks, although once a mom gave me a few $$ because I'd driven to meet her and I didn't turn it down.

Having written that -- meeting with a good CPST on your terms (a time and place that works for you) is worth something. It's true that most of us volunteer, but that doesn't mean that a tech's time and trouble isn't worth anything. And sometimes it's true that you get what you pay for: this is NOT a commentary on skills or worth, but on availability. The tech who charges a fee deserves compensation for making her- or himself available sooner than three weeks.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The XT looks good. How does it look on the Frontier side, and is it in independently of the Frontier (so if you take out the Frontier the XT is happy as can be)?

Are the straps at or below baby's shoulders?

The tech you want to meet with, do they know Radians and Frontiers? They're not exactly the easiest seats to install. So if they know the seats I'd definitely wait, rather than trust random techs who may never have seen or heard of either of those seats. But if Darren recommended someone, that goes a long way in my book. Just pricey.

Wendy

LP Mom

The XT looks good. How does it look on the Frontier side, and is it in independently of the Frontier (so if you take out the Frontier the XT is happy as can be)?

Are the straps at or below baby's shoulders?

The tech you want to meet with, do they know Radians and Frontiers? They're not exactly the easiest seats to install. So if they know the seats I'd definitely wait, rather than trust random techs who may never have seen or heard of either of those seats. But if Darren recommended someone, that goes a long way in my book. Just pricey.

Wendy
Thanks Wendy. I will make an appt with Safety Squad. I installed the Radian first and it does not move, but I am new to this seat, so I want it double-checked. The straps are slightly below baby's shoulders. I assume the Safety Squad people will know Radians and Frontiers. That was part of my concern. Thanks for your help! :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When you call them ask. If not, I'd wait. I'd hate to think what someone could do with a Radian and a Frontier if they didn't know what they were doing (rear facing tether and the long belt path come to mind).

Wendy

Pixels

Can you flip the hook on the RFing tether, so that the opening is toward the floor? Sometimes gravity won't let you, and it will flip as soon as you let go. But with the hook toward the floor, there should not be twists in the tether or D-ring.

The only other suggestion I have is to put the forward facing child in the middle if the seats fit that way. The rear facing child is more protected from side impacts by virtue of being rear facing.

LP Mom

OP here with an update. I took my car to a Safety Squad station today to have my XT SL install checked. Tom, the tech who I think trained Darren of carseat.org, helped me. He said I had done a great job with my install. Woo-hoo! Still, we took the car seat out and re-installed it. Nothing will move that thing now. It is beyond rock solid! I just want to thank everyone here who helped me with all of my Radian questions. You all rock! :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Excellent! You're supposed to take the seat out every time, so don't feel bad that he did that. That way the tech checks it for cracks, missing items, harness threading, etc. as well as some seats need to be removed to check the dates and model number for recalls. So it sounds like a great check! You got quite a compliment. :) I have told precious few parents that they've done a good job.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC