seatcheck.org is really annoying me

Splash

This site is SUPPOSED to be about proper use of the seat, right?

Well EVERY photo on their header (it changes every time you load the site, so keep hitting refresh) features a child buckled in WRONG.

One has a kid in a 3 point infant seat with a belly clip
One has a kid in a five point harness with aloose straps and a belly clip and I *think* the straps below her shoulders
One has a child in a very old booster with the belt clamps

There are more bad ones throughout the site. What gives? How can PARENTS get it right is the pros won't even take the time to make it right for a picture?

ADS

Kellyr2

I think that infant one is a 5 pt harness. I think I see harness going around the hips. Oh, or maybe it's a diff one, i was only seeing 3 p ics, i just got a 4th. Of course, the one i see now is a man bucking in a sleeping baby and the chest clip is really low. we could assume he'll push is up after buclking... The ff harness kid - there's a shadow, but i am also trying to figure out where the harness slot is. above or below?

CandCfam

Boy, that's sad.

There's also the one where the dad is buckling the child in, and the baby looks small enough to still be RF for sure, but he's FF.:(

Splash

Grrr... and a very small baby forward facing in an OHS, a DEFINITELY under 40 pound child in a combo seat used as a booster, when you can easily see the top harness slots well above her shoulders. There is one *almost* correct one. A young child, obviously under 2 and probably about 25 pounds, forward facing in a roundabout, but at least the straps are snug and the chest clip correct. I called seat check (daimler chrysler) about it, and he told me to call the NHTSA, that they don't actually manage their own website. Grrrr.

scatterbunny

The three point infant seat, the belly clip IS definitely too low, but the straps look tight.

The one with dad buckling up baby, that baby IS over a year old and 20 pounds by the looks of it. Sure, they could promote extended RF, but they don't HAVE to, and I can't get mad at them for this picture.

Same with the booster--it's a Breverra, those still have some life left in them (made up until 02-03). Sure, it's not the best example of a booster possible, but if they had all Britax seats up there, would the general population really relate?

I, of course, think a website like that should promote proper use, by placing chest clips and harness straps at appropriate levels and using the appropriate restraint for the child's age, but there is some overlap in what is appropriate for certain ages and sizes, and there are older restraints that are not expired that are fine to use and display.

There, I feel like I've played devil's advocate enough now. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmmm....

That is annoying. The baby in the OshKosh Medallion is a cutie but that "chest" clip is way too low!!

The others don't look TOO bad. They aren't great, but they aren't the worst either.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I volunteered a couple of years ago to be the "expert" on site during a multiple day photo shoot that CHOP was doing for their webpage. I only volunteered for one day but it was a lot of fun, I learned a bunch and the photos were used for their flash "movies" that they have on their site w/ info about car seats and installation.

Even though all the shots were totally planned and fully scripted... they still made sure they had one certified tech at all time so they didn't do any flubs, especially since this was geared to help parents do installs correctly!

One of the things that they shared w/ me was that during these professional shoots it was REALLY difficult to make it appear that the chest clip is in the correct place. And amazingly they were right. After each shot, or set of shots the photographer actually had me okay the images (digital camera) before going on to other shots.

I always think of that when I see ads and such..although generally misuse shown in ads is usually MUCH worse than a chest clip just a little off.

It was definitely a very cool experience.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC