New vehicle choices again...van, mazda5, etc

skipspin

*Update* at end.

We're still looking, but don't have to replace until May-ish, but probably could sooner. We're looking at the $6000 range, but maybe up to $8000. We will have cash.

Judging from what we have seen we could get a 05 or 06 Grand Caravan with under 80k miles or probably an 07 Mazda5, not sure on the mileage- but not super low, probably average. We're okay with some minor fixable problems because my DH used to do bodywork and car mechanics, so he can fix about anything for the price of parts. We could get it painted cheap by a great painter too since he works for DH.

Right now we have the 3 kids- and DD can be in a booster when we get the van/5. We should have any more kids for at least 3 years, and even then we aren't sure. Maybe one more. Maybe. I like my Radians, but they don't have a long time left and I can easily replace seats when we get a new vehicle. (DH has been warned. LOL)

DH and I love the 5. We rented one for a road trip for a week in May and liked it even more. I can deal with the storage, or lack thereof. I'm most concerned that we'll only have 1 extra seat and I might regret that. Also, no rear air in Florida. Are the kids going to roast? There is a chance my granparents (out west) might be getting an Expedition to keep out here and if that's the case we can just take that if we need extra seats a few times a year. They visit maybe 2 months out of the year a few weeks at a time. We also have DH's huge truck if we need to haul stuff or go on a trip with more space. It's an 05 HD crew cab.

The caravan is the other option. The stowngo is neat, but I sort of like the bench too since it would be better for 2 rfing seats and the stowngo seems like it could break. The seats aren't the comfy either with stowngo, IMO. We'd have plenty of room. DH knows he can fix any issues and the engine we would get gets 200k plus miles with no big issues all the time. Can I realistically get 7 in it anyway with 3 in seats?

Safety-wise I'm having a hard time seeing that one is just a ton better than the others.

Last edited:
ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm most concerned that we'll only have 1 extra seat and I might regret that. Also, no rear air in Florida. Are the kids going to roast?

YK, not having any extra seats worried me too. We went from an 8-passenger Astro, and I really liked those extra seats and the extra room! Honestly though, it's one of those things you don't miss once it's gone. We fit people into vehicles as we have the seats to do so, and half the time we don't want to drag the entire family along anyway. "Hey, gramma's flying in, let's all six drive to the airport and pick her up!" Um... not! LOL!

As for the rear air, I'd be worried about that in Florida. Can you plan on having the windows tinted? I think that would make a huge difference. Can you maybe swing an '08 model - they have rear air vents.

skipspin

did you pick one out yet?

No, it will be after January, but by May unless some super-duper-can't-pass-it-up-deal comes our way.

YK, not having any extra seats worried me too. We went from an 8-passenger Astro, and I really liked those extra seats and the extra room! Honestly though, it's one of those things you don't miss once it's gone. We fit people into vehicles as we have the seats to do so, and half the time we don't want to drag the entire family along anyway. "Hey, gramma's flying in, let's all six drive to the airport and pick her up!" Um... not! LOL!

As for the rear air, I'd be worried about that in Florida. Can you plan on having the windows tinted? I think that would make a huge difference. Can you maybe swing an '08 model - they have rear air vents.

Tinting- yes. My Jeep doesn't have rear air, either, so it's not a total deal breaker, just a consideration. So far all the 08s are a lot more, but if we find one with some cosmetic exterior issues (DH can fix) then it might be doable.

As far as the extra seats, well, there are times I like not having them, but it was sure nice to all go in one car when my grandparents were here and rented a 7 pass Traverse. We HAVE to have one extra seat since we *might*, have another baby in several years and I wouldn't want to have to buy something else, even though we probably could by then. Also, it is nice for DD to be able to have one friend come over, go to church, etc with us. I also can't leave any of mine home alone, so right now I can't even pick up my grandparents at the airport unless I get rid of a kid. With one nursing, one 2, and one homeschooled and no grandparents around that just doesn't happen easily.

Hmmmmm. I really wish it had one measly little center seat in the middle so that I could sit there if we needed an extra seat. Even if a car seat didn't work it would be of benefit to us. We should just move overseas. We'd love a standard diesel 5. Sigh.

I still want one, though.:whistle:

Just tell me how much safer than an 05 Caravan they are before you go into hiding.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
We'd love a standard diesel 5. Sigh.

Oh yes - I am SO jealous of those! Why can't we have them here in the states? So perfect. *sigh* indeed

Just tell me how much safer than an 05 Caravan they are before you go into hiding.

I'm not sure what the crash-ratings are, but I do not believe that the '05 Caravans have side-curtain airbags. :twocents:

Pixels

Informed For Life puts the 05 Caravan in the worst 10% for 03-10. The 05 Grand Caravan is Medium risk. The 2007 Mazda5 was not rated by IFL, but the 08 is Medium risk.

The Caravan/Grand Caravan got Poor ratings for rear impact. The Mazda5 was not rated, which means IFL assumed average ratings. The rear impact rating is based largely on headrest configuration and adjustability. I do know that the rear headrests in all 4 rear positions of the Mazda5 are adjustable high enough for an adult male.

skipspin

Well, DH is on a Mazda5 kick right now, although I get to decide (within budget) since it's my car. I told him I'm getting a convertible Beetle and can only run errands when he keeps at least one of the kids. :p I had one before I had DD that I LOVED.

I'm also thinking if we got for a DGC I will be able to find an 06- I think it has some added safety features.

We're hoping after January prices will go down since everything will be a year "older."

skipspin

Well, it seems I shall be getting a Mazda 5 for Christmas. An 08 Mazda 5 that needs some light engine work. (Which may or may not be under warantee)

Happy early Christmas to me. :) We got a great deal on it and DH likes to fix stuff- so we should get it just before Christmas (it's in GA), but may or may not drive it right away until DH finds out exactly whats wrong with it. It was a rental, never crashed, just has a few small dings and an engine noise. Dh says even if it needs an entire new engine (unlikley) it's still several thousand less than most used 07s out there.

Silver with black/grey interior and...wait for it....rear air. Yay for on 08. Oh, and a passenger armrest.

I'm thinking DS2 will probably stay in the Coco until he outgrows it RFing, DD will use the PW in it for a while, and DS1 will stay in the RN until he's FFing- then I'm not sure. RYS if it fits in the 3rd row, or maybe the RN in the second. I haven't decided if I want him in the 2nd or 3rd row most of the time yet. If I had to buy something for FF in the third I'd probably go for a GN. Maybe they'll have something cute and boyish by then. Hey, I can hope...

canadiangie

Yay for you! Congrats! And an '08 to boot... I think the rear air, because you're in FL, is pretty important. I'm hot and sweaty just thinking about it. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC