Hotel Shuttles in FL

mburks26

We are going to FL next Oct. DD will be 5 and a few months. There will be 9 of us going (so not looking forward to this) DH states that instead of renting cars we will use the hotel shuttles as much as possible. What do I do with dd? I have never seen hotel or airport shuttles at all. Can seats be installed? DD has a Gn and DH says her seat must be used on the plane. If were were going to rent a car no big deal bring it if he wants to carry that heavy thing (I decided to get a RSTV use it at the destination) but using Shuttles I have no idea. Will the RSTV work on them? DH also said something they have built in car seats and boosters? Heck no I would so rather use my own. So what options do I have with shuttles?

ADS

Evolily

it's probably a bus, without seatbelts. Are you staying at a disney resort? If you are, I can tell you it definitely is a bus ;) otherwise you'll have to call and confirm. If I brought something I'd bring a RSTV.

skipspin

Yep, call the hotels. Disney has a variety of options, but mostly busses. If you are staying off Disney (assuming Orlando here) some hotels have 15 passenger vans or smaller van-front busses and most of the smaller busses don't have seat belts at all. They;re not required by law, but that doesn't mean they are safe. I'm okay with the older set (over 4 and 40#s) in the smaller busses, but not a baby. (Our church has one, but since DH ordered it for them he had some seatbelts put in for car seats. Gotta love the DH!)

mburks26

I have not a clue where we are staying etc but we are not going to Disney park. All I know at this time is that the type of work my dh does there are classes and conferences on it. He said that the shuttles would take us where ever we wanted to go when ever we wanted to go but my understanding is that are on a schedule so heck if I know.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A hotel shuttle will likely be a 15-passenger van, and it will likely have seatbelts. I don't know the specific law in Florida, but my guess is that they are not exempt from car seat laws, and even if they are, you should still use one.

I forget the exact details with the RSTV in terms of tethers. My guess is that the vans won't have anchors, so if you need a tether, that would be out.

I don't understand why your DH says your DD has to use the Nautilus on the plane? But you're not using it at your destination? I'd either take the Nautilus to use on the plane AND at the destination (it can be used without a tether), or just take the RSTV and let your DD sit in the seatbelt on the plane. I'm perfectly fine with a 5-year-old not using a car seat on a plane.

Keep in mind that hotel shuttles are often very unreliable and limited in where/how often they run. Just something to think about.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The RSTV only needs a tether if using a lap-only belt. So as long as a 3-point belt is available it would be fine in that regard.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Shuttles may be vans OR they may be some version of a bus. Most airport shuttles (the ones that take you to/from the parking lot or rental car place) have seats that face to the center of the van/bus (can't use a CR), not to mention that they do not have seatbelts. Some may have seatbelts on the rear seats but I've only seen them as part of the restraint system for wheelchairs (as a car seat freak, naturally, I'm looking :rolleyes:).

This may be obvious, but why not just contact the place where you will be staying? They should be able to tell/send the current shuttle schedule and what type of vehicle is used.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC