What would you do... Frontier as booster or Regent??

WhatAboutPuppy

Ok, so I'll tell you the story and if you don't want to read it skip to the 3rd paragraph. :eek: I put DSS1 in the Radian last night and tightened the harness... Definitely tight enough. We get to the end of the street and he says, "I don't feel safe". I ask why (know that his normal seat that he is ALWAYS in is the Frontier in harness mode). Turns out he thinks he's loose. I am able to get a couple of tugs on it, it's already in ratchet mode and doesn't want to budge. I ask if he feels safe. He thinks he could be a little tighter and tries to pull his shoulders forward (they don't budge). So I give another tug... it wont even go a whole ratchet notch. So I explained he literally can't get any tighter. "Then I feel safe, we can go now!" Sigh...
So, we get down the freeway a ways... I'm still dwelling on our conversation when I remember, he's got like a couple months left in the Frontiers in harness mode, he's basically evening with the top slots, they're just BARELY above. The Radian is about the same but because you can go above the harness as long as his ears are still completely in the shell this seat will last a bit longer. Ok ok...
I remind him that he's going to out grow his harnesses in a few months and will be using his seats as boosters like he's done once before. I then asked him if he's ready for this. His reply is very hesitant. He says he doesn't like how much he can move in a seat belt and he wont be safe. He wont be tight enough... I tell him there's one more car seat that will fit him longer but we don't own it. I told him it doesn't look like a booster like his Frontiers. He concluded that he wanted to stay in the all over belt as long as possible (the 5-point harness).

I know this was very long but I wanted to be sure I explained his wants.
What would you do for your child? I've found a Regent for $159 at one point somewhere online... We don't really have the money but...
I can post a pic or two of him in the Radian... maybe he'll last longer in that then I thought. I also took a pic of him in the Frontier today too...

ADS

Maedze

I wouldn't put a developmentally typical child in a Regent, no.

I am baffled, though. I don't see how a Radian could last longer than a Frontier.

Does he still have a 15" torso ??

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I stay with my answer. He feels safer, he is safe in a 5 point harness. So, I would get the Regent.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
How old and big is he now? Your sig can't be correct anymore....is he still 6? or closer to 7? And his torso must be 18ish, right?
Does he have special needs? Does he have sensory issues?

Honestly, it sounds like he is old enough and big enough to be in a booster, and that he would pay VERY careful attention to not moving out of place. Therefore, a booster would be a very safe choice for him. In fact, I'm sure there is some evidence it might be safER, a la the Swedish testing that boostering is actually better than a FF hanress.

If he is typical and can understand, i would just try to explain it to him. That a seat belt is perfectly safe for him now. I would be afraid of creating artificial, unnecesary worry and panic, and I think it is something we always have to remember when teaching our children. Every once in a while, we hear about the child who FLIPS out at having to be turned FFing, or to be boostered, etc, because they have reached the limits....and that can't be mentally healthy.
If he is pushing 7, and can sit correctly, and has outgrown the Rn and Fr harnesses, i personally wouldn't buy a regent for him for the extra inch. But i can completely underestand the concept of wanting to fulfill your child's wants, so I certainly wouldn't think badly of anyone who would, lol.

I think this is a great reminder to be very careful HOW we teach, and WHAT we say.

WhatAboutPuppy

I might take you up on that Judi.

I'm not sure at this point what his torso is. The stats are dated... He's about 50 pounds now. Let me upload two pics real quick! Maybe I'm wrong about time left in each seat.

It was my understanding that he can be over the slots in the Radian as long as the tips of his ears are still in the seat frame. He maybe have a centimeter more room harness wise in the Radian with the recline base extended...

Blondie87

Crazy.. in my car J had outgrown the Frontier, but had a couple inches left in the Radian and Nautilus.

Maedze

How old and big is he now? Your sig can't be correct anymore....is he still 6? or closer to 7? And his torso must be 18ish, right?
Does he have special needs? Does he have sensory issues?

Honestly, it sounds like he is old enough and big enough to be in a booster, and that he would pay VERY careful attention to not moving out of place. Therefore, a booster would be a very safe choice for him. In fact, I'm sure there is some evidence it might be safER, a la the Swedish testing that boostering is actually better than a FF hanress.

If he is typical and can understand, i would just try to explain it to him. That a seat belt is perfectly safe for him now. I would be afraid of creating artificial, unnecesary worry and panic, and I think it is something we always have to remember when teaching our children. Every once in a while, we hear about the child who FLIPS out at having to be turned FFing, or to be boostered, etc, because they have reached the limits....and that can't be mentally healthy.
If he is pushing 7, and can sit correctly, and has outgrown the Rn and Fr harnesses, i personally wouldn't buy a regent for him for the extra inch. But i can completely underestand the concept of wanting to fulfill your child's wants, so I certainly wouldn't think badly of anyone who would, lol.

I think this is a great reminder to be very careful HOW we teach, and WHAT we say.

I agree with this. He is safe. If you reassure him that he's perfectly safe, he'll be ok with it. If you feed into it, you'll just be facing this problem again in a year or so.

New car seats are always fun, I guess, but ultimately, they're a piece of safety gear. :twocents:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Your sig also says you use an 86-Y. How does he do with that?

Also, do your seat belts lock with a switchable retractor? That might make the transition from 5 pt to seat belt easier.

I wouldn't go for a Regent at this point unless there are sensory or behavioral issues. He might not feel safe but he IS safe since you have taught him how to sit correctly and the booster fits properly. I think it is like learning to your first pair of glasses or wearing short sleeves outside on the first warm day. . . It feels very strange at first, but you quickly get used to it.

NannyMom

I haven't tried it recently, but A and J had more room in the Radian than the Nautilus (which is similar to Frontier).

Would buying a Regent be a burden? Would he sit properly in a booster? If you think he'd sit fine in a booster, I'd say booster him. Unless buying another seat isn't a problem.... then go for a Regent if you want.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
A post adv Regent, doesn't have a lot more room. So, I would borrow mine, and start booster training on short trips.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

A post adv Regent, doesn't have a lot more room. So, I would borrow mine, and start booster training on short trips.

So how much more room does the post advisory Regent have over the Frontier? I also saw the Regents for $159 and wondered if I should pick one up.

On the booster thing, what if you pull the belt all the way out and let it rachet back so that it locks when he is in the booster. Is that allowed? I'm not a tech but it seens like that would keep him snug in it.

WhatAboutPuppy

16237_522781400238_51701790_31149080_1698714_n.jpg

Haha... He was being soooo goofy, I'm just glad he didn't do anything funky with the loose tooth that's barely hanging in his mouth. lol This was the Frontier today.

16237_522737887438_51701790_31145572_7400475_n.jpg

Radian last night. Does he really have until his ears are just below the top of the frame?? I mean, that's quite a ways!

He's become a lot more worried about his safety (in general) in the last few months, I don't want to talk much about his home life, but it's been turned around a LOT. I think that's where this is stemming from. Which this is where the mom (or technically step mom) in me wants to help him feel safe no matter what.
Someone mentioned the locking retractor... both our cars have those and not the locking latch plates. I will definitely go that route!
He fits very very well in the frontier in booster mode.

The 86Y is in his mom's car, i haven't seen him in it since the day I installed it. It's my understanding that he rides in it 100% of the time he's in her car as she has only lap belts in the back seat. DH was concerned one day when he saw him in her car and the 86Y wasn't routed through the head rest of the HBTB, she told him it was right and to mind his own business soooo... at least she doest that part right, and I taught DSS1 how to route the belt himself.

I agree with Maedez also about feeding the fear. That's the opposite of what I want to do, hence why I'm asking for opinions and why I am talking so much. haha I want to make sure that not giving in is the right choice. I'm very confident that he can ride correctly in a booster... This is purely because he's voicing a concern.

WhatAboutPuppy

So how much more room does the post advisory Regent have over the Frontier? I also saw the Regents for $159 and wondered if I should pick one up.

On the booster thing, what if you pull the belt all the way out and let it rachet back so that it locks when he is in the booster. Is that allowed? I'm not a tech but it seens like that would keep him snug in it.

It is allowed in our cars but usually a child who needs to be buckled this way to be properly restrained should probably still be harnessed... on average.
Obviously for DSS1 it'd be to make him feel safer, not because he couldn't ride correctly and keep his body under his own control.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I LOVE your dog! :love: How do you like the Radian XT? Never seen one of those in person. Oh and what kind of car do you drive? Just curious. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC