What mini van can I put 3 Radians across?

cnote

We are looking for a newer used mini van, maybe a 2006 at the oldest. We would like to stay around $15,000.

I have 3 kids and one on the way. We currently have an older mini van (I think it is a 96 pontiac trans sport). In our current van we have two kids in the 3rd row and one in the captain chair so that I have space for diaper changes, potty or whatever in the big gap where the other captain chair would be. I really want to keep this set up with 4 kids by putting 3 seats across the 3rd row and 1 car seat in the captain chair.

Any mini vans out there in my price range and age range that can fit 3 across the 3rd row?

DS will be 3
DD will be 3
DD will be 1.5
and the new born due April Fools

Thanks in advance! I have lurked here before but clearly this is my first post. I know lots of cars fit 3 across but I haven't seen much in terms of mini vans especially the newer ones that have the stow and go seats.

ADS

christineka

Radians fit 3 across the sienna third row. You just have to use latch for the passenger side seat. It won't install with the seat belt.

cnote

Thanks so much!

I have been searching through the thread here on "Successful 3 in a row". I was having a hard time because so many are cars or suvs but from what I have gathered over the past few hours I will be looking at:

Town and Country
Sienna
Kia Sedona
The Odyssey is out of my price range

My DH was shooting from the hip so I have a 2008 Dodge caravan in my driveway right now that is going back. I measured the 3rd row over and over and it is 49" at best. I think some of the older caravans had bigger 3rd rows but I can't see fitting any 3 car seats in the back of the 08 sitting in my driveway.

DH wants stow and go and newer and I want to eliminate the need for one of the captain chairs (for the time being). So I am hoping these 3 minvans will work for us and we can pick one!

Carry

christineka

The sienna's back bench measures 46 inches, but the radians fit. I can fit two radians and then something wide like the nautilus.

cnote

I am still confused on this.

I'm measuring the space from when I hit something on the side to when I hit the plastic wall on the other side (not just the width of the bench seat) and it is 49(ish) inches?

What I don't get is I have seen pics of 3 seats in a row on this board (the Successful 3 seats thread) on a 2008 Town and Country. But when I looked up the manufacturer specs of the hip room for the 3rd row I get this:

08 Town and Country - 48.7"
08 Kia Sedona (the LX or LWB models) - 50.1"
08 Dodge Caravan - 48.7"
08 Toyota Sienna - 51.8"

So how are three 17" car seats fitting in these spaces? I am seeing the pics you ladies are taking of your 3 in a row set ups in minivans but it just doesn't make sense that three 17" car seats that add up to 51" can fit?

My DH is going to try to purchase 3 Radians ASAP so that we can try them out in the Caravan. I have to believe that if that mom fit 3 in the back of her 08 Town and Country then I can fit 3 in the 08 Caravan.

W need to get 3 Radians by Friday to try this out because we need to decide if we are going to keep the Caravan by that point. I am going ot check out the Kia Sedona just in case. I'd love to look at the Sienna and I know we could do 3 in a row in it but my DH said that they are just out of our budget.

Wish me luck! If I get three in the Caravan I promise to post pics. This board is the best.

christineka

Car seats aren't the same width everywhere. They are thinner at some places and fatter at others. Putting seats together is often called "puzzling" because the seats are put together in various ways, perhaps overlapping others or in a rear and forward facing pattern.

3 times 17 inches equals 51 inches, but somehow I can fit them in my third row. Here's a vivo (18 inches wide) next to two ffing radians in my sienna.

vivoffradians.jpg

cnote

I think I get it now.

The Radian is 17" wide at the top but 14.5" at the bottom. That would explain why it fits!

As far as puzzling, that is something I will have to figure out since we are officially the proud owners of a 08 dodge caravan now..YIPEE!

I purchased 2 Nautilus before my DH decided to by a new minivan on a whim so I have to decide what to do. I took them out of the box and the kids sat in them in the living room, but never even put them in the car. So now do I keep one nautilus and get two radians or return both nautilus and get 3 radians. Lots to figure out. I think I will be looking around on this board for a awhile.

Thanks for all the help!
Carry

Chex

Are you going to keep your 1.5yo rear-facing? That would change the dynamics of things a bit, but the 3 Radians would still fit across with one of them rear-facing. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC