WWYD? FFing MA or RFing Scenera

FFing MA or RFing Scenera

• Tethered FFing MA

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Untethered RFing Scenera

Votes: 44 89.8%

• Total voters

Mommy090804

Due to the fact that we had a MA installed FFing in our Civic, we have had to perform a major carseat switcheroo.

In our secondary car (Focus wagon), I need to install three carseats. I have a MA, Scenera, and RN. One of the children is just over 30lbs and the MAand RN only RF to 30lbs (Cdn). Would you FF the child in the MA, or RF the child in the Scenera, untethered? The RN will be used FFing for my five year old DD.

If you are still reading, I am a little concerned about the rebound of a large child in an untethered RFing Scenera , but I have a feeling it is still safer than the FFing MA. As well, the Scenera does not have EPS foam. Also, one of the seats will not be occupied on a regular basis.

I am actually able to install all three seats FFing, with the RN in the middle. It took a lot of mental and physical effort, but they are all independently rock solid. I think I still have enough room to install the Scenera RFing outboard if I need to.

Sorry for the ramble, but I certainly appreciate your opinion both from a tech and parent perspective. Thanks so much!

ADS

swtgi1982

RF scenera, I can tell you from personal experience with a RF scenera in an accident, that even though there is no EPS foam, it is still very safe. My little focus rolled three and a half times and DD was in it RF and came out with no bumps or bruises, so the lack of EPS foam did not harm her in any way. (This was 3yrs ago, before most seats had EPS foam, but still). Rebound was not bad either with it, but my car only hit the ditch on the front end before rolling, but ditch vs car I do not know how much difference that would make I looked in rear view mirror on impact to see her and her seat did not budge but like and inch or two (rebound wise).

Heather86

I'm not a tech but we opted for the rf scenera un-tethered for quite sometime before I got a seat that had a higher rf weight limit. Rebound or not I have to believe that rf un-tethered is safer than ff for a child that size :twocents:

Evolily

RFing Scenera

Rebound looks scarier than it is- the injuries associated with rebound are similiar to the fractures children get learning to walk.

Kat_Momof3

rf scenera... definitely... heck, I did that for Ruthie when she was little so her brother could have the Marathon I had to be harnessed again.... she outgrew it rf when she got her Marathon back... and road ff in the marathon before dropping weight and rfing in it...

point is... I never worried enough about it not being tethered to move her brother back to a booster (even though he never gave a problem about using one).

rearfacing is so much safer... no question that I'd rearface rather than tether.

Mommy090804

Hi! OP here again. Thanks so much to everyone for posting their responses. I knew the answer to the question, but I was truly curious what most people would do. I am definitely asking in the right place, because DH just rolled his eyes at me when I said that DS might have to be turned FFing.

As an update, I can't fit the Scenera RFing outboard. I am very frustrated. I am frustrated by the puzzling that is required, and most of all, I am frustrated that I have two beautiful carseats (MA and RN) that only RFto 30lbs in Canada!!!!!!! UGH! It looks like DS will have to FF in this car.

I am definitely going to order the Radian XTSL once it is available in Canada. It looks like it wil be a very useful carseat for us for so many reasons.

Thanks again everyone!

Splash

How old is the kid? Over 2 I would say MA hands down. A Scenera wouldn't really be an option for my kid unless it was dire circumstances or the only possible thing that would work. In this case, since you have a MA, I'd go with that.

Mommy090804

How old is the kid? Over 2 I would say MA hands down. A Scenera wouldn't really be an option for my kid unless it was dire circumstances or the only possible thing that would work. In this case, since you have a MA, I'd go with that.

Yes, it's for my 3 year old. I have installed the MA FFing outboard. I will have to move up the harness straps back up to the top slots though, which is surprising because he is a little peanut.

Ironically, you have raised an interesting point about using the Scenera. I went back and viewed the TC videos. There are no videos of the Scenera, but there is one video of the Scenera cousin, an Eddie Bauer Touriva. TC tested the seat with a 6yr old 51 pound dummy installed with LATCH and tether in a 2002 Nissan Maxima, and it appears to have performed better than the MA installed with LATCH and tether in the 2006 Civic. The difference is that the former was a type 2 crash, and the latter a type 1 crash.

I like my MA, but am glad that my 30lb 3 year old is sitting in it FFing rather than my 40lb 5 year old. Also glad we have another car besides the Civic to install it in. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Maedze

A 51 pound dummy would significantly exceed all weight and height limits on that seat. You can't put any credence by that test result.

Some people may feel strongly about particular brands or manufacturers, but (although I deeply love the some people in question :p ) that does not negate the fact that rear facing in a Scenera is safer than forward facing in a Marathon.

Now, given that your child is three years old, there's a top tether available, and you can't get the seat in rear facing anyway, it's not something I'm going to get bent about. :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC