Does anyone have a wombfruit wrap?

natysr

I'm planning to collect a small stash of babywearing gear for this baby.

I pretty much want one each of a sling, wrap, mei tei, and buckle carrier. (for some reason I have no desire to have a ring sling)

I already have a toddler size buckle carrier. So with these other additions, I think I should be set.

I have my sling. (A peanutshell purchased for $10 through their "grab bag")

A babyhawk mei tei is on the way (thanks super_grape!)

Now for the wrap. I was showing them to DH on youtube. He hates them. He thinks it is way too much fabric and too cumbersome. :rolleyes:

I think they will be perfect for the newborn stage. Especially for wearing around the house. It also seems pretty versitle to be able to NIP.

We are having a June baby though. So, I saw the wombfruit wrap, and I think I am in love. It looks so lightweight and breathable.

I'm wondering if anyone has one and can let me know how they like it.

ADS

Shanora

I don't have one, but gauze wraps are good wraps. The only concern I have about this particular wrap is that when I was watching her put her baby up on her back it looks really stretchy, and baby looks like she/he was stretching the wrap quite a bit. So if you were to do back carries in this wrap I would make sure that it doesn't have alot of stretch, and if it does to REALLY tighten it.
Another one to take a look at are the Gypsy Mama Wraps, she has gauze wraps and they are good for back carries!

4boysmom

I HATED the Moby because it was a absolute PITA and cumbersome for me and since you are of similar frame, and maybe even smaller I would definately see if you can try the concept before you buy one and if you do get one see if you can get one that is perhaps a bit shorter to start out. You are still early enough along that you will be able to simulate postpartum pretty well without a belly in the way.

lynsgirl

I have a Wombfruit Wrap and a Sleepy Wrap (a Sleepy Wrap is just like a Moby - it's stretchy and it has tapered ends).

I like them both, but for different reasons. I love the adjustability of the Sleepy Wrap. I can put it on tightly, sans baby, and still get baby in fairly easily, which keeps baby nice and snug. Downside? As the baby gets bigger/heavier, that stretchiness is not your friend anymore lol. It gradually pulls a heavier child down and you end up needing to adjust after a while. It also gets hot, which is not so fun in the summer.

The WFW is definitely lighter and not as hot. It was somewhat of a lifesaver for me this summer, between being lightweight and having a cranky baby who wouldn't let me put her down. Downside? It's harder (for *me*) to mess with than the SW, due to it not being stretchy.

Will come back to this thread later, as I have to run and my computer is being taken over by dh :p.

One last thing - I actually reach for my ring sling the most often of everything I have and have tried. Might be worth a try, if you can borrow one for a while?

natysr

Thank you for all the feedback.

I do have a small frame. I'm only 4' 10", so I think front carries will only work for me for so long. Jordan was a small baby. Born at 6 1/2 pounds, and was only 18 pounds at his first birthday.

For frame of reference, here is Jordan in a snugli when he was 2 months old. He was born August 20, and this was the week before halloween.

10588165_GFHFw-S-1.jpg

DH likes the baby K'tan, but I worry about it not being a good fit for me, because I do plan to BF while babywearing. So it seem a K'tan wouldn't be adjustable enough.

I mostly want carriers that support the weight of the baby on both shoulders. This is why I was leaning toward a wrap. Adjustable and supports both shoulders. I figured that once I get the hang of using a wrap, If I still like it by the time winter comes, and I want to move on to back carries with it, I could sell my sling and wombfruit for something less stretchy.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Not that I'm trying to influence your purchases or anything, but for the sake of clarity....

a properly worn ring-sling does not put all the weight on one shoulder at all. If you spread the fabric out over your back (or front if you are doing a back carry) all the weight is distributed pretty evenly over your torso and hips with little pressure on your shoulder. I have more problems with a purse on my shoulder than a kid in a ring-sling. Just a couple of months ago Hope sprained her ankle really badly and I was quite easily able to sling her 85# butt on my back for the better part of a week.

That all being said, if you think you might want to try a ring-sling at some point, I would be happy to let you try mine. It's not the best, I wore out my really good one on vacation and it was the best I could find in a pinch, but it has served me well.

natysr

Not that I'm trying to influence your purchases or anything, but for the sake of clarity....

a properly worn ring-sling does not put all the weight on one shoulder at all. If you spread the fabric out over your back (or front if you are doing a back carry) all the weight is distributed pretty evenly over your torso and hips with little pressure on your shoulder. I have more problems with a purse on my shoulder than a kid in a ring-sling. Just a couple of months ago Hope sprained her ankle really badly and I was quite easily able to sling her 85# butt on my back for the better part of a week.

That all being said, if you think you might want to try a ring-sling at some point, I would be happy to let you try mine. It's not the best, I wore out my really good one on vacation and it was the best I could find in a pinch, but it has served me well.

That is good to know. It isn't what I expected. We may have to arrange to meet up one day so you can show me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC