Surprised at how crunched dd is rfing in her MA over the MR

Raegansmom4

UPDATED: PICS!! So I reinstalled my MA (b/c I love the cover, I'm a dork) to get the 33 lbs of rfing out of it before I put the MR back in, and I'm really, really surprised at how crunched she is in the MA over the MR! I knew the MR was roomier for rfing, but I didn't think it was THAT much, kwim? DD has super stubbie short legs, and her legs are really squished -25th percentile for height. In the MR, her feet rest flat-footed against the vehicle seat's back. In the MA, she has the bend her knees significantly or folds her legs up pretzel style. So, if anyone was wondering the difference for leg room between the two, there ya go!

Last edited:
ADS

all together ooky

I know the surprise. Except, for me, it was going from our main carseat-the True Fit- to the MA in DH's car. Nora's legs are extended and touching with the TF, but all bent up in the MA.

susanx4

yeah we had to use our TFP for 7 weeks when i got my van back and my new MA i wanted to use my pretty new MA and was shocked how little room she had!! i KNEW it was less room since when she broke her leg she had to be in the TFP to fit her cast, but i was shocked how much she must of grown in the 7 weeks not riding in it! the MA is now FF in DH's mazda 3, she rides in it MAYBE once a month and it was very uncomfortable for me in the passenger seat with her rf in middle or behind me.. and woudn't fit behind driver at all so she is ff with that seat in his car....

tracee877

I know what you mean! My DS is only 14 months but he has long legs and he is pretty crunched.:( I am really sad since I :love: my MA. I ordered a Radian 80SL and I'm hoping it's a better fit.

mbbowman

I have the same problem with my 16 month old! It's so bad I'm seriously considering getting a radian or a True Fit. Unfortunately, there are no stores in the area that carry them, which is why I bought the MA to begin with!

Many tell me I will love the TrueFit. I just posted my MA on CraigsList just to see how it goes. DH is going to be SO annoyed LOL! Still, it's getting to the point where I'm so frustrated that I'm tempted to turn him and I know it's soooo much safer to keep him RF longer.

At 16 months he is 32.5in tall and 23 pounds with all his clothes on (as per Monday when we took him to the doc for stitches!!!!)

romanoma

Yeah, my DD had more leg room and seemed less scrunched in her signo than now in her BLVD!!!!! I am truly shocked by that one, seeing all the bad press the signo gets. I'm going to have to post pics of the difference, b/c even I can't believe it.

hsjwmom

I thanked you for this post because I was starting to consider getting a RA50 or MA for dd3's second seat, even though I KNEW the Britax seats have less leg room. I love my Britax seats, but I need to think about how they'll fit dd long term, yk?

mbbowman

I love my Britax seats, but I need to think about how they'll fit dd long term, yk?

I do! I just love this seat but it doesn't really work if HE doesn't love it! When my in-laws bring him home he travels RF in a Comfort Sport and they tell me he's happy and content in the seat, but when we put him in OUR seat he often braces his legs against the back of the seat and it's just so hard to get him in. At 16 months old he can't tell me what's bothering him, but I have to imagine that more leg room might at least help the situation a little bit. I really don't want to turn him!

*Everyone* has told me that he'd do better in the TrueFit Premier, and that I'll like the seat. I haven't really heard any complains actually....

Mommy2Marcus

I do! I just love this seat but it doesn't really work if HE doesn't love it! When my in-laws bring him home he travels RF in a Comfort Sport and they tell me he's happy and content in the seat, but when we put him in OUR seat he often braces his legs against the back of the seat and it's just so hard to get him in. At 16 months old he can't tell me what's bothering him, but I have to imagine that more leg room might at least help the situation a little bit. I really don't want to turn him!

*Everyone* has told me that he'd do better in the TrueFit Premier, and that I'll like the seat. I haven't really heard any complains actually....

Have you thought about the My Ride?? I own one & LOVE it. Marcus also has a TON of leg room in it at 3. I can not imagine what the poor child would do with his legs RF in a MA. Just another option.

I was also suprised to see what a difference in leg room the MA & EFTA offered when Marcus was about 21-23 months old. I took pictures to show it for someone here & still have them. I was looking the other day & was still suprised. I just really do not think that the big Britax seats are made with ERF in mind, at all.

mbbowman

Have you thought about the My Ride?? I own one & LOVE it. Marcus also has a TON of leg room in it at 3. I can not imagine what the poor child would do with his legs RF in a MA. Just another option.

I have also considered the MyRide, but I'm told the TrueFit is better for taller children. My son's torso was long enough to fit properly in his MA at just 10 weeks old, and has remained in the 96th-100th percentile since birth...so I'm worried he'll grow out of the height too quickly. It does look like a pretty neat seat though, and as I'm pretty sure BRU carries it I'm planning on checking it out next time I make it out there.
:)

emandbri

Yes, it doesn't have much room at all. This picture of Elizabeth really shows how little room it had. She is 2 years 8 months, 31 lbs, and 37 inches tall.

DSC02242.JPG

Madeline410

My poor DD is over 36" tall and has NO leg room. I really need to make up my mind on her new seat! She's not happy in her Blvd anymore. I also wish they'd make a seat with more leg room because I am very sad to be done with this seat.

mbbowman

Cool, thanks!

Does anyone have comparison pics with the Radian vs. True Fit? My husband keeps asking me which one has more leg room, but I can't find measurements on the internet.

Spam

The radian has very low sides, so kids can easily throw their legs over the sides for more room. This isn't the best pic, but he's A in the RN65, he was 13 months 32" and 29lbs. In the tfp he's 15 months 33" and 30lbs. He has a longer torso. They are both great seats, of course the RN offers a higher weight limit rf. As of now I like to have Austin more contained in the seat like he is in the TF, but that's just me.

aust10092009-10-08_1.jpg

Last edited:

Raegansmom4

Here we go. The MR pic was taken about 6-8 weeks ago, but dd really hasn't grown at all in that time :)( - kinda a shortie-pants!). The MA was today.

Spam

She looks more comfy in her MR. So cute.. I love that MA cover too and would want to use it to the max as well.

Raegansmom4

Thanks - I love the cover too! I do feel bad squishing dd in the MA for vain reasons...especially when her MR is so nice and roomie (and sitting in my closet).

mommyof3tx

Thanks so much for these pics!!! I've been thinking of getting my son a My Ride, he has a marathon right now, he's 25mo but pretty small at only 33in and 25lbs, but he's already getting a bit squished with leg room in his MA. I was wondering how much more leg room he'd get in the MR...looks like quite a bit!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC