Poor spot on A Baby Story today

Pixels

Tips from Pampers on car seat safety: Read and carefully follow the car seat manufacturer's instructions on installation. :thumbsup: (While showing a SR with toys hanging off the handle, then an instruction manual from a high chair, swing, or stroller.) If you don't know how to install the car seat, take the seat and your car to the car dealer or bring it to your local fire department. :doh:

ADS

Shaunam

I saw that! When I heard take it to the car dealership I was like - WTH?

I test drove a car one time and one of the selling points the very young salesman gave was that "it has those car seat hook thingies in the back". LOL Yeah, don't take your seat there!

ChristyH

Don't all dealerships have certified techs? DH's dealership has two and he was told it's the law that they have at least one at all times. Was he wrong?

Really?! I've been to many car dealerships in my life and my family has worked in and around them for years. I've never heard of having a tech at a car dealership. If they have certified techs than that's awesome.

kittykate

I think Nissan requires each dealership to have a tech. The dealer we bought our Versa had one and when I called Nissan Consumer Affairs to ask if a rear facing seat touching the front seatback was allowable (the manual is ambiguous) I was told to contact any Nissan dealership and ask to speak with their CPST.

lovinwaves

Don't all dealerships have certified techs? DH's dealership has two and he was told it's the law that they have at least one at all times. Was he wrong?

Well if that's a case, I just found my dream job :D

What kind of dealership does he work at. Just curious on car brand.

zactayaus

I worked for a dealership for 4 years and we never had a certified tech. Our mechanics weren't aloud to re-install a car seat either if they had to remove it for some reason.

daisie125

Well if that's a case, I just found my dream job :D

What kind of dealership does he work at. Just curious on car brand.

Volkswagen :thumbsup: (Although it's paired with Honda, so if the requirement is just by make and not actually law, it could be either of the two.) Both techs have other jobs in the dealership, though.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
There were 2 employees of a dealership in my CPST class. Both were full-time mechanics.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I saw that spot a few months ago and went to Pampers' site to look for more car seat info. There are some real gems on there. I think I posted about them but can't say for sure. I emailed them to offer to help update their info but never heard back, of course.

As for car dealerships, it's certainly not a legal requirement (at least in any jurisdiction I'm familair with), but in looking through lists of technicians in the past, I do recall seeing a lot at VW dealers.

stephcali

When we went car shopping for our minivan last year we were taking the car seats out of our old car to go on a test drive and the sales person told me, "Oh I can install those for you." I hesitated and then let him do it anyway. When we got into the van he had installed my 19 month old DD's car seat FF when he had definitely seen it RF in our old car. I wasn't too happy, but since she was already FF in our other car I let it slide (although I did check the installation very carefully and had to tighten it some more so I was completely satisfied). So he obviously was not certified, and I can't believe he was even allowed to do that. That seems like some major legal issues for the dealership if something were to have happened.

Pixels

I worked for a dealership for 4 years and we never had a certified tech. Our mechanics weren't aloud to re-install a car seat either if they had to remove it for some reason.

Exactly how it should be. DD's seat was in brother's car when he had some work done (fixing the recalled lower anchor, actually) and they had to remove the seat, of course. They laid the seat down sideways on the vehicle seat to make it clear that the seat was not installed. I thought that was great.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have a few dealerships that have a tech or two around here, but not nearly most of them. And there are NO certified firefighters around here. I'm always a bit peeved when I see that spot (but I stopped watching A Baby Story a long time ago because it ticked me off, and not just the car seat misuse. ;) )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC