What do you know about the Safety 1st Intera?

toothfairymama

This seat really impressed me when I was looking for a convertible seat back in 2006, but I didn't get it and I don't really remember why. I got a ComfortSport instead (big mistake!). But I was just looking at Safety 1st's website tonight and they still have it, and in an adorable ladybug pattern. I'm just curious how people feel about it. I know that 3-in-1s are generally a bad choice over all, and it only harnesses to 40 pounds. But is it a good seat for what it is? I'm almost certain that it would have been a better choice than the CrappySport.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The backless booster is a joke. For rear facing, without the booster part on, it isn't bad. I did have an issue in an 1986 Suburban. The thing kept reclining more, when the baby was put it. Took a bit to get that figured out!

Lea_Ontario

My 200-lb adult arse can fit in the 'backless booster' portion of it. Absolutely NO way that that portion would be safe for an average sized child.

RF, it's okay. Takes a good amount of fiddling to get it from laying completely on it's back in a Cavalier or Grand Am (the only vehicles we used ours in).

FF, well - it only goes to 40lbs.

But it's NARROW if you take that booster / base portion off. Which is the sole reason we bought it.

Oh - and that ladybug sent my DD into fits, it terrified her when she saw it. It's really creepy looking in person. We bought the blue one instead.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The backless booster is a joke. For rear facing, without the booster part on, it isn't bad. I did have an issue in an 1986 Suburban. The thing kept reclining more, when the baby was put it. Took a bit to get that figured out!
That happened in a 2008 Ody captain's chair...we never figured it out, the mom just turned the baby at age 1, two months later :eek:

ginny4

we had an intera (2 in fact) & it was a good seat. i wouldn't buy it again today (there are other seats i like better). i had zero problem with installing it. it wasn't the easiest but i was able to install both RF & FF just fine in our 94 grand caravan. i installed WITH the base. i thought it gave it a more sturdy install.

i loved how tall the shell was. my son was able to stay in the intera right up to the RF weight limit of 35lbs. the harness height FF is decent for a 40lb seat

removing the cover was a PITA. you had to remove the base which is a job in itself. i got good at it tho.

the intera the last i know lacks any EPP or EPS foam. its just shell with comfort foam in cover

i think it makes a lousy booster. in HBB mode the lap belt is placed rather high on abdomen & dependant on your vehicle seatbelt geometry the shoulder belt doesn't necessarily stay with in the WIDE guide. the backless base is ridiculously WIDE & frankly i had no idea how you can even use it. it was complicated.

CarSeat027.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC