Got a vehicle you can't use....

canadianmom2three

Because it won't work with your carseats/kids?

I just realized that DH old F150 has become that vehicle. It is one of the mini-extenda cabs, will seat 3 in front (but the centre is lap belt only, and no headrest) and 3 in back (but no headrests at all and centre lap belt).We don't use it often, and even less often as a whole family.

Last weekend we wanted to go to a bigger town about 1 hr away to a flooring auction, and needed to take the truck to bring it home cause it was cash and carry (that day only). Usually the set-up was Radian in the centre back for DS, highback boosters outboard for the other kids. It made me realize how long it has been since we have gone out as a family in the truck. I sold the radian a year ago at least, and oldest DS is taller than me, no way he can sit in a highback booster. :rolleyes:

We can never use the truck as a family again, someone will always be stuck with the lapbelt no headrest seat.....

ADS

Pixels

Do you have the Frontier in Canada? It fits many adults by height. Not sure if it's worth it for you since it sounds like you really don't use it that often as a family.

melniemi

We had an extended cab truck too. Sold it when dd2 was a baby since we no longer could fit all of us in it. Now we only have our van, but we all fit :)

rodentranger

DH's 1991 Ranger standard cab manual transmission. The four on the floor makes it silly to put a car seat in the center, and the non-working retractors make it impossible to put a car seat outboard. Really he just needs to sell it and buy a more sensible truck.

Nisha

What year is the F150? We have a 94 and I feel your pain! That's the reason I bought Radians in the first place!!!

tiggercat

Well, our Camry is currently a 1-2 kid car, we can't all fit until Greg passes the 5 step test. So I have a FF MA and a Monterey back there and sometimes I toss the Monterey in the trunk so I can put the infant seat in without the base.

4RunnerLover

Our Tecel will possibly be un-carseat friendly. It was a pain when DS was a baby and was in the infant carrier. It's only a 2 door, RF it would only fit behind the passenger side and I think the only way it would fit was to take it in and out through the drivers door. To make matters worse when I installed the infant base I was about 8 months pregnant, in late June and hubby had a broken arm and couldn't help. I was NOT happy.

Once we have another there is no way anyone but me (I'm only 5') will be able to drive it with 2 kids in the back. As it is if anyone rides in the passenger side they will be up on the dashboard.

Sad part is, it was never meant to be my vehicle. It was DH, the 4Runner was mine. Of course usually when it's all of us we take it. I'll be so glad when we get another car, hopefully next year. ;)

tracee877

Yep we've got 2, a 98 Explorer and a 06 Accord. After #3 came along we never could find a safe solution for all 3 kids so we ended buying a new vehicle with a 3rd row to accomodate all 3 kids safely.

canadianmom2three

Ours is a 97 F150, and DH has been looking for something new for a while, but trucks are EXPENSIVE!!! We really don't use it often, but it's kind of dissapointing to realize we actually can't anymore. Even the newer ones only seem to have 2 headrests in the back, so once DS (7) outgrows a highback we would be in trouble again....

daisie125

Yep... DH's car. 84 Pontiac Fiero. You can't install a car seat in it even if you wanted to - it's got the dual feed seatbelt that is banned for use in every car seat manual I've ever seen.

(And let me tell you how bummed out DS was - before I knew that, I told him daddy could take him for a ride in it in a parking lot (that car scares the crap out of me, but DS thinks it's the best car ever...) but then we cound out we couldn't install a seat in it)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oddly enough, our '97 Astro can still fit our entire family fairly safely. It's got 4 sets of lap/shoulder belts in the back, with headrests.

Granted, I think it has like a 3-star crash rating or something and it gets about 2 miles per gallon (I exaggerate. Slightly.) not to mention the passenger door only opens from the outside... but yeah, we could all wear seat belts and have head rests!

I do really wish my dh would put a new battery in it and clear out the wasp's nests and sell the stupid thing. It's a lovely eyesore. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC