Tether points in 98 Voyager?

obamamama

Ok, so I'm not sure what I'm doing. I have been looking for a FF tether spot in my 98 Voyager, and cannot find one. I have read the manual and it doesn't show them. I have 2 bench seats, and since it's older I don't have LATCH.
I am hoping to keep my TF ff in the 2nd row and tether it.
Help?

ADS

monstah

You aren't finding one because there isn't a top tether anchor. :cool:

You can have one retrofitted though. If someone doesn't come along with the bulletin # soon, I will find it. Baby is crying so I have to run...

Pixels

Dealers will install tether anchors free of charge. Please have the dealer refer to TSB 23-008-00 Revision B for details on this policy.

Part numbers: second row: 04864118AB
Third row: 05018506AA

Can I just say, there's a lot of people jealous of you right now, because you can have SIX tether anchors in your vehicle (assuming it's an 8 passenger vehicle).

crunchierthanthou

Dealers will install tether anchors free of charge. Please have the dealer refer to TSB 23-008-00 Revision B for details on this policy.

Part numbers: second row: 04864118AB
Third row: 05018506AA

Can I just say, there's a lot of people jealous of you right now, because you can have SIX tether anchors in your vehicle (assuming it's an 8 passenger vehicle).

five. Chrysler vans are 7 passenger. ;) There are just six possible tether points for the anchors to be installed because the second row can be either a two person bench or captain's chairs.

There's actually a more current Technical Service Bulletin than what Pixels posted. Use number 23-029-08 dated October 24, 2008.

The tether points are on the floor behind the seats.

Pixels

In that era, could one still put a third-row ench in the second row? If you had two third row benches, you could have 8 passengers. Just sayin'.

obamamama

Ok, that's what I thought. No tethers, I didn't think I was that slow. LOL

I do have a 2 seater 2nd row bench. I have tried putting that in the back row and putting 3rd row in middle, but still have dang lapbelt in the middle of 3rd row seat. BUMMER.

I have the regular Voyager, so the wheel base is short, it's 9" shorter on the interior than my 92 Grand Caravan DH has. I really don't need the 3rd row most days, since the buses start running monday, my older kids wont be in the car much besides weekends.

I was thinking that because my van is shorter thus lacking the interior room, I dont know how the 3rd row passengers would be effected by using a tether in the 2nd row. Would it cut off legroom? I do have a pretty tall ds#1 (5ft6 and growing at 13 yo) so he can't really sit in the 3rd row anyways.

Does anyone know if I could (in theory here) get 2 captains chairs, and have those installed in place of the middle row? It's still cheaper than a new car (I wont be buying a new car come hell or high water til the wheels fall off or I win the lottery). They would be "original Dodge components" though.
Would that be a no-no since it didnt' come from the factory?

I would rather have captains chairs, but was not lucky enough to find a van I could afford with them at the time I bought the ones we have. Oooh, too bad stow and go couldn't be retrofitted. LMAO!

Thanks for the help, I'll call the dealer and see if they laugh at me, I live in North Dakota, and our Dodge dealer here is snarky as they come.

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

You can also have TAs added to your 92, but only 4 total (both driver's side and center positions). The part number is 05017529AB for all 4.

You can put captain's chairs in if they have the same seat anchorages. I don't know if that's the case, though. If your third row fits in that position, maybe you could get a second third row bench. That will turn you van into an 8 seater like Pixels was lusting after, but third row access might be a little tight. I know of a couple posters who have done that with their 7 seater vans.

I don't think the retrofitted TAs impede legroom too much. You can see pictures of them in a 99 Caravan in the Tether Anchor Pictorial thread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC