Twin stroller advice?

Hello everyone,

I am a new father of twins (one boy and one girl) and you all were very helpful to me in selecting both a car (2009 Acura TL) and infant car seats (pair of Chicco Keyfit 30's) for them earlier this year before they were born. They've now arrived, and I'm looking to purchase a twin stroller. I was hoping I'd be able to pick you all's brains for any expert info you might have on the matter :)

First, some vitals on the kiddos: both are 5 weeks old right now, one is a boy (about 7 lbs and 21 inches at the moment) and the other is a girl (8+ lbs and 19 inches). The reason the boy is considerably smaller is because he had a pretty rough start ... a placental abruption did some level of brain damage (prognosis unclear so far) and kept him in the NICU for 5 weeks. He just got out yesterday -- yay!

Anyhow I'm now looking for a twin stroller and would like to find something with as small ofa "foot print" as possible so as to conserve room for other things in the car and what not. I've searched around some and have narrowed things down to the following choices:

(1) Baby Trend Double Snap 'N Go

My understanding thus far is that with this one, I would snap in the car seats into the frame. But I'm not clear on whether my Chicco Keyfit 30's would be compatible, and have seen some indications online that they are not.

(2) Baby Jogger City Mini Double

I like this one because it's a very compact stroller. But I'm not sure if my babies would be too small or young to sit safely/comfortably in it.

(3) McLaren Techno Twin

I like this one because it's an umbrella stroller and is small, lightweight, has easy to use handles, etc. But I'm also unsure if 5 week old infants are going to be too small to sit safely/comfortably in one. The back looks fairly upright with this model.

(4) Graco Quattro Tour Milan

This one caught my eye because it's a tandem stroller that looks significantly smaller than typical tandems. I figure a tandem stroller might be easier to fit through doorways and elevator doors. But I also don't know much about how nicely small newborns like mine would do in it.

I think I would prefer one of the strollers that can accomodate into toddlerhood over a snap 'n go one that only works with infant car seats, but of course safety is first! Price is no object, it looks like most of these options run from $200-$400 which is definitely doable.

I know I've asked a lot, and this is a car seat forum rather than stroller forum, so if my question is inappropriate, please don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll understand. But I figured you folks were so knowledgeable last time that I should at least run the question by you guys. Thanks so much for any feedback you can offer.

-- NewFather09 ;)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a twin techno and LOVE IT! The lowest recline position is more reclined than, say, a car seat seat is, it's almost flat but just not quite totally, and the harness can be adjusted to fit even itty-bitties snugly. The head supports are nice too. I took my third for a ride in it at 10 days old and to the mall at 2 weeks, it worked perfectly.

I don't like the Graco for twins; one would sit higher than the other. It also wouldn't be compatible with your car seats. If you want a tandem, I'd look at the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem. Very nice, and comes with one car seat adaptor (you can buy a second) and then allows use with toddler seats in many configurations.

I know some people here have used the Snap 'N Go with Keyfits, but I don't know about the double.

skipspin

We actually have a stroller sub-forum here, so I'm going to move your question over there for you.

Having never had twins, I would lean towards the Maclaren or City-mini both with a nice infant snuzzler in it- but there are a lot of variables and I'm sure you'll get some better suggestions in the stroller forum!

Wiggles

Can't advise for what model, but I will say this: Try it before you buy it. Preferably with the babies in it--possibly with a little more weight if you can swing it. Maneuverability in twin strollers is SO variable. I've used a fair number of twin strollers and some of them have been so impossible that I gave up on using them and honestly found it easier to carry a baby and a toddler in my arms than to use a stroller.

twinsmom

Can't advise for what model, but I will say this: Try it before you buy it. Preferably with the babies in it--possibly with a little more weight if you can swing it. Maneuverability in twin strollers is SO variable. I've used a fair number of twin strollers and some of them have been so impossible that I gave up on using them and honestly found it easier to carry a baby and a toddler in my arms than to use a stroller.

Good advice. Try before you buy if at all possible. I tried strollers that most people loved, but found they didn't work for me at all. Personally, if the Snap n' Go double fits your carseats, I would get that one first. It was a life saver for me. It was sooooo much easier to take the carseats out and snap them in the stroller, rather than take 2 infants out of their carseats and into a stroller.

After the Snap n' Go I had the Peg Perego Aria Twin. I liked it for awhile, but when my kids started getting heavier (at about age 2) it became pretty difficult to maneuver. At that point, I got a Mountain Buggy Urban Double. I can't say enough great things about that stroller EXCEPT that it is very heavy and was somewhat difficult to get in and out of my car. I don't know if there is a good "do everything" double stroller. Each has advantages and disadvantages. But I would definitely recommend the Snap N' Go in the beginning, assuming it will work with your carseats.

Congrats on your twins and good luck!:)

njkj

I don't have any real advise but I did find this video showing the the Key Fits DO fit in a snap n go. HTH

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgDcaOHXOI"]YouTube - Chicco Keyfit 30 Car Seat Baby Trend Double Snap-N-Go Demo 09/05/2009[/ame]

rochelle

(1) Baby Trend Double Snap 'N Go
Not sure if your car seat can fit but you can try that out at BabiesRUS or Baby Depot.
(2) Baby Jogger City Mini Double
not a problem from newborn to 4-5yrs old (or older). Lots of people here have them
(3) McLaren Techno Twin
My boys use it from newborn. They were 8lbs at birth. It reclines almost flat and has foot muffs which I find very useful. It was also very light and can be gate check for air planes. I had manage to put my mclaren at the back seat foot area of my corolla with 2 rearfacing cosco scenaras. That leaves the whole boot empty :)
(4) Graco Quattro Tour Milan
its too bulky and not easy to push when your twins get heavier. just my experience, tandem strollers are not v comfy for two kids that are the same age. more useful for a age gap of 3-4 yrs.

AmandaR

I don't have twins, just closely space siblings (13.5 months) and I have the Twin Techno and I love it. It has a great recline and is so easy to turn.

Hello newfather09 & congrats on your new babies. I hope they continue to thrive for you.

Here is my suggestion on the strollers. This comes from a mom of 19m old twin girls who is a one handed parent on top of it.

In the start it will be well worth it to go w/ the snap n go (I see someone posted a video showing that yes it DOES accept the KF30). Here's the link to the site so you can see that it's a listed seat. http://www.babytrend.com/strollers_snap-n-go/1305TW.html

The double snap n go does drive a bit like a limo, hee hee, but is worth it's convenience to keep your babies safely, warmly & snugly secured in seats (especially when asleep). The other nice thing about the stroller is that it sells nicely on craigslist (so you might just be able to find a used one & save money).

Here's my fave advice I dish out. While they are in the snap n go system take that time to test multiple doubles to see which you really liike. See what meets your criteria & your budget.

As the one handed mom of twins I've used the snap n go, peg perego aria & the Baby Jogger City Mini. I loved the snap n go for that car seat convenience then after that stage I hated my aria. It was flimsy, hard to fold & unfold (although it was a bit more of my one handed issue) & the canopies plain ol' sucked.

My Baby Jogger City Mini Double, I love love LOVE it. It maneuvers like a dream, canopies are huge, basket is a tad sucky but I never use it anyway so not much of a big deal to me, recline is tiny bit tricky for me as it's a strap you have to hold & slide a clip up & down (again, only tricky because of the one handed issue but my knees help, lol), did I tell you it's a dream to push, the recline is near flat, the fold is slim (wide yet slim, in fact mysillykids can likely be bugged into posting her pic of the fold), it pushes smooth and little babies will likely benefit from the use of a snuzzler in the seat.

Did I sell you a Baby Jogger? If not I need to work on selling skills. LOL...

Oh yes, even when weight is uneven in the Baby Jogger it still pushes like a dream. I used it at an airshow w/ just my 3yo who was 40lbs at the time over very crappy terrain & against strong winds. I never had a problem pushing it or getting stuck.

Thanks, you guys rock like always! We decided to pick up the Baby Trend Snap 'N Go Double to use with our Chicco Keyfit 30's for the first year or so. We figure once the kids outgrow it, we'll have to pick up new car seats anyhow and will get a new stroller at the same time. After looking around my wife is in love with the Quick Fold system of the Baby Jogger City Mini Double so that one's the front runner at the moment :)

We appreciate the great advice from everyone!

romanoma

depending on what uses you are needing a double stroller for, there is an AMAZING deal on a double all terrain stroller right now. Not really for jogging, but great for off road, zoo, park, etc...

Mountain buggy urban jungle double, marked down over 60%! I wish I needed a double, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

http://www.joggingstroller.com/Moun...=6024774&zmas=4&zmac=73&zmap=C103396CHOCOLATE

these probably won't be available at this price for long though. I don't know anyone who owned a Mountain buggy who did not love it. (lovinwaves, have you owned this one?)

Good luck!

Romanoma, thanks a bunch, that does look like a smokin' deal! The Mountain Buggy is probably a bit overkill for us at this point, though, but I showed it to my wife and we'll keep it in consideration for the next round coming up in a year or so after the kids outgrow the Baby Trend Snap 'N Go Double. We're city folks and fairly lazy ones at that :) so we're looking for something lightweight and compact for the next set of wheels. Thanks for the heads up!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC