My thoughts on the Radian XT SL so far....

LP Mom

Need HELP with Radian XT SL install...please!

I like it, but:

1) why so hard to get an upright recline?

2) adjusting the harness is a major PITA - takes forever to adjust

3) seems like the headwings should lower more since they can be used on the third harness slot from top (where my baby is), yet his head does not reach the headwings

4) re-threading the harness caused me to sweat and swear.

I'm wondering if I should have kept my easy-to-use and install Boulevard. :(

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

1. It's the dangumblasted rear facing boot. Some of us have been bugging Russ/SKJP to develop another boot with less of a recline. Join the club. (Seriously, the more people ask for it, the more they will realize it's a problem.)

2. I don't like the ratcheting adjuster, either. We don't adjust every time any more. If you pull down on the harness in back while pulling the adjuster, it helps.

3. Really? He must have a tiny neck and head. They fit my DD perfectly. She is at the third slots, or maybe a tiny hair below.

4. This seat has never really given me a problem re-threading, except the one time the harness went in through one slot on the cover and came out the shell on a different slot. What was so hard about it? Are you not used to rethreading straps on any seat? (I don't know what seats you are used to other than Boulevard.)

LP Mom

LOL. He does not have a tiny neck or head. He is 9 months, 21 pounds and 29 inches tall. What was a PITA was taking the harness straps out of the metal plate on the back of the seat and putting them back in there. Both straps were really hard to put back in there. That took FOREVER and I am comparing it to adjusting a knob in my Blvd. Still, it is way easier to re-thread our Marathon too!

Pixels

Are you sure the headwings are actually all the way down? The bottom of the wings should be approximately even with the third slots. You can peek under the cover by looking in the slit for the headwings, just pull it away from the seat a bit.

abigaylebelle

My xtsl has the headwings all the way down so they are even with the third slots. On the seat I had to return because of the crack in the plastic the headwings were really hard to move. This one they are much easier, so maybe you just have some tight wings? I also agree about the boot, it's way too long and therefore incredibly hard to get an upright install. Also the first time I messed with the harness slots it was hard to get back on the splitter plate but after that it has been fine. (I moved mine back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd slot to figure out which was the appropriate fit).

ForeverSkye

At first I found our Radians an total PITA, but now, I can adjust it and get a good install right away. Takes a bit of practice, but I love ours.
I may email this Russ guy about the boot like someone suggestion...that is my one and only complaint.

LP Mom

I e-mailed SK CS my complaints - especially my issues with the darn boot. I will check under the cover to make sure my headrest is all the way down. Mine is super hard to move, so I'm glad I am not the only one with that issue.

LP Mom

Talked to Russ from SK. He suggested I place the "feet" of the boot under the bump in my backseat, but there is no crevice there, so the feet have to go in the only opening between the top and bottom part of the backseat, which is above the bump seen in the pics. I don't think I can get a more upright recline because of this issue. Is this a problem? Do I need to get rid of the seat because of this? The install is rock-solid.

Also, thank you for asking me to look under the seat cover. The headrest was not all the way down. Hopefully, my son's head will be between the headrests now.

Finally, I looked at the harness mechanism and see that the harness pull pulls it from the back, not the crotch area. A-ha. Now I understand the tug-tug and pulling on the back. ;)

Last edited:

Pixels

Try putting the toes of the foot below the bump. Wedge them in there, and it will install more upright. The tighter you can get the seatbelt, the more it will pull the seat up. If you can have a helper hold the seat upright for you while you install, that will help.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Talked to Russ from SK. He suggested I place the "feet" of the boot under the bump in my backseat, but there is no crevice there, so the feet have to go in the only opening between the top and bottom part of the backseat, which is above the bump seen in the pics. I don't think I can get a more upright recline because of this issue. Is this a problem? Do I need to get rid of the seat because of this? The install is rock-solid.
There doesn't have to be a crevice for the foot to go into. Do as Russ suggested and place the feet in front of the bump, press down hard where baby's feet go and then do up the seat belt.

It's quite reclined the way it is, I'm not sure what's level with ground in your pic, but I'd say it's either right at 45° or over if your pic isn't straight. Assuming it's right at 45°, if you can't get it more upright, the seat might not be much use to you for long as your little one is likely not going to like that much recline at some point. Plus, it's safer to have older ones more upright. If it's over 45°, I wouldn't use it at all.

ETA: was typing with a 3 year old climbing all over me so took me awhile and Pixels posted about the install in the meantime :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NannyMom

I have a bigger bump in my Sienna, and I did it. Like you, I didn't think it would work. When I put the toes of the RN forward of the bump, there was a ton of space between the Radian and the back of the seat- seemed like a no go. But the ladies here convinced me it would work, and it did. Have Person1 put lots of pressure where your child's feet would go on the RN. Have Person2 pull the seatbelt as tight as they can. I managed to do it on my own, but I was using LATCH (and I had to almost bounce on the RN while kneeling on it- it would have been much easier with a 2nd person).

myliljunebugs

Wow, now I understand what people mean about mine being "so upright"! Holy moly that is reclined! I hope that what pp's suggested works! I kind of got behind mine (to the side) and pushed down really hard while I tightened. After I had it most of the way tightened (less than 1" movement but not quite tight enough for me) I moved to the outside of the car and tightened it more there. The first time I just did it from the outside of the car and it was much more reclined. Fingers crossed you get it more upright! :)

LP Mom

I will try to install it before the bump and see if that works. If not, I am glad emandbri thinks it still works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC