I am now the proud owner of...

Stretchy Glue

a Frontier! I was going to go get it next week from our local coalition to borrow and it was delivered to the high school today. So at lunch time today I get to truck through the high school with a giant pink car seat. I won't even be able to try it out until this evening because I have to rush out of here to get dd before I can get it fit for her. Who would have thunk?

ADS

Stretchy Glue

That is great! To be used as a HBB for DD? How did you get it?

Yes. I called the guy the other tech in the county who has the storage facility (it's the upstairs of our EMS building) and he said he had a Frontier that the distributor wanted one of us to use so we could recommend it. He's already using a Go and a convertible for his kids, a former tech got an Apex and now I get a Frontier. I'll give it back eventually, but I'll use it for a while too!

Maedze

That is so fantastic. What a perfect solution! I can't wait to see a picture :D

ETA: Yes, the Frontier can be LATCHed :D

Stretchy Glue

That is so fantastic. What a perfect solution! I can't wait to see a picture :D

ETA: Yes, the Frontier can be LATCHed :D

Thanks. Another question...I need to take the screw out for booster right? (At least for my daughter;)). Can the seat be used later without the screw in harnessed mode? I'll do my best to not lose it, but honestly, keeping track of a screw is not going to be easy.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Thanks. Another question...I need to take the screw out for booster right? (At least for my daughter;)). Can the seat be used later without the screw in harnessed mode? I'll do my best to not lose it, but honestly, keeping track of a screw is not going to be easy.

Yes, it can be used without the screw, as long as the user is very careful to make sure the Booster extension of the headrest is all the way down in the lowest position. The screw just provides positive feedback that headrest is positioned properly so as not to interfere with harness mode.

ETA: you can buy a new screw at any hardware store for about a nickel. Britax will give you the screw size if you call them. If you put the screw in an envelope and stick it in a gallon size zip-lock bag with all the harness parts, there is enough space inside the plastic cover on the back of the shell for it.

Maedze

I *think* the screw is required in harnessed mode, but don't quote me.

I'd take a piece of duct tape and tape the sucker to the back of the shell, if it were mine....

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I *think* the screw is required in harnessed mode, but don't quote me.

I'd take a piece of duct tape and tape the sucker to the back of the shell, if it were mine....

Email conv with Sarah Tilton

Kimberly-

The screw does not play a structural integrity role for the seat. It is however very important the head restraint DOES NOT utilize the booster mode positions in harness mode. Therefore the screw is a positive action they must take to convert to booster mode.

In this situation there was no need to send the child off in a different seat. I would have reiterated to the parent they need to return the screw to position. The screw was made of a standard size that can be purchased from a hardware store if lost by the parent.
You will find in the user guide under Troubleshooting where it indicates a #8-32 sheetmetal screw can be sourced - as we anticipated that consumers would not remember where they put it.

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting me.

Sarah

Stretchy Glue

Well this is only a short term fix. Her shoulders are really broad and she has very little room. What am I going to do?

I will be working with the head of the state coalition soon to try as many boosters as I can possibly try to find one that works. The plan is to take pictures of each that can be used for a demo on how a child fits differently in different boosters and how the measurements on the seat mean nothing.

October2009152.jpg

October2009153.jpg

Here is a pic of her in the Monterey which is wider, but at this point the way the seatbelt goes through the belt guide makes the seatbelt not retract. She also have very little room in that. It looks like there is more on her non belt shoulder only because she was slouching and getting annoyed. The sweatshirt she is wearing is a light weight zip (WOMENS mind you).
October2009154.jpg

This is adjusted to the widest torso adjustment and the problem I see her having in these now is that she is cramped and leaning out to not have to squeeze her shoulders.

DANG IT.

kandamom

Here is a pic of her in the Monterey which is wider, but at this point the way the seatbelt goes through the belt guide makes the seatbelt not retract.

What do you mean when you say "at this point" the belt guide makes the seatbelt not retract? Is this a problem you did not have earlier with the same seat in the same vehicle? I am curious because my ds1 is similar in height and we have that issue in our forester, but not in our Entourage. Could it become an issue in the Entourage as he grows? Even though my ds1 is the same height and close in weight to your dd, he is pretty leggy and has narrow shoulders. He fits much differently than your dd does. I appreciate your pictures, since it gives me an idea of how he will fit as he grows. Your dd is just adorable! I would have a hard time getting ds1 to let me take pictures like that. Does your dd fit with a backless booster? I like the comparison pictures of the Frontier as well. I am considering getting a frontier for ds1 to use as a booster in the forester until ds2 needs it. I really love the way the frontier fits as a booster!

Thanks,

kandamom

It has to do with the way the seatbelt enters the belt guide.

So that could change as higher settings are used?

I better go play with the highest settings in our Entourage. I'm assuming that it is not safe to use if the belt does not retract properly, unless I lock the belt. Is this correct? I haven't been using our Monterey in the forester since I discovered this issue. I would have him use a backless in the occasional car (the forester), but he isn't even close to fitting the shoulder belt that way. Even with the positioning clip, the shoulder belt hits at the very outside corner of his shoulder. I am looking forward to the time when ds1 fills out in the shoulders.:whistle:

Your daughter is just gorgeous - love the hair and eyes! You will sure have to keep an eye on her in a few years.;)

Stretchy Glue

So that could change as higher settings are used?

I better go play with the highest settings in our Entourage. I'm assuming that it is not safe to use if the belt does not retract properly, unless I lock the belt. Is this correct? I haven't been using our Monterey in the forester since I discovered this issue. I would have him use a backless in the occasional car (the forester), but he isn't even close to fitting the shoulder belt that way. Even with the positioning clip, the shoulder belt hits at the very outside corner of his shoulder. I am looking forward to the time when ds1 fills out in the shoulders.:whistle:

Your daughter is just gorgeous - love the hair and eyes! You will sure have to keep an eye on her in a few years.;)

It bugged me because it wouldn't retract at the highest setting. It had to do with the angle. It didn't get used at that level for very long because her shoulders were at the belt guides anyway so we went backless. That only lasted about 3 months before I found myself in my current situation.

kandamom

I was curious as to what your current situation is, so I found the post. Maybe it's not so bad to have a kid with a short torso and narrow shoulders. From the stats you listed in the other post, my ds1 is a little smaller than your dd is. He was 52" and 58 lbs. last time I checked. Size 5 shoe, though! It sure is interesting kids fit the seats so differently.

I sure hope you can find something that works!

Stretchy Glue

Here they are. Pictures with the headrest extended. I'll redo my siggy stats when I remember how to.

October2009160.jpg

And I made her take her sweatshirt off. (I also noticed that she has 4 brown zip hoodies. Maybe we need to expand her colors)
October2009163.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC