A few Frontier questions

MoreLatte

I searched the successful install thread and didn't see my vehicle. Does anyone know if it installs well in a 2005 Suburban/Yukon XL? (I had serious install issues with the Regent, so I'm a little worried)

Is the width comparable to the Nautilus?

In all of the stock photos I've seen with the headrest up, it looks like its tilted to one side. Is the headrest wobbly?

I know, really random questions:) I have a MA expiring in a few months and just trying to decide what to replace it with. DD 5 is 3yrs, 38# and 40 inches tall. She's on the top slots of the MA already. I have a GN, but thinking I could put that in my other vehicle and get a FN for mine. Thanks!

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The Frontier installs pretty easily in almost all cars with the lbp. I wouldn't worry about install issues. I found th Regent to be a huge pitb to install in my Odyssey but no issues at all with the Frontier. The headrest is not wobbly imo. It's wider than a Nautilus but not as wide as the Regent.

MOM25BOYS

I installed mine in my SIL's 2005 Suburban outboard with LATCH with no problems. :) I didn't get to try it with the seatbelt before I traded it :eek:, but really it's not as quirky as the Regent is. :p I had one time where the headwings were uneven, but it was my fault for not making sure they locked on the same level. :whistle: Otherwise the headwings are nice and solid and as the PP stated it is wider than a GN.:D

Niea

I have both a Regent and a Frontier and actually have found the Frontier to be a tad trickier to install in our vehicles (a Honda CR-V and a Ford SporTrac). The Frontier is plain incompatible with the SporTrac in the outboard position (no LATCH, so we're talking a seatbelt install here). The Regent installs fine, however.

If you're going to be using LATCH, then I imagine it'll install nearly anywhere. The seat is physically narrower than the Regent. However, a seatbelt install could be problematic. And honestly, even if you plan on using LATCH, I wouldn't buy it if it wouldn't work with the seatbelt because at some point you'll have to switch to it (by 50 lbs at the latest).

What sort of problems were you having with the Regent? In our SporTrac, the seatbelt is barely long enough to do the LBP. As in, the seatbelt was ALL the way out and if you didn't put enough weight on the seat, you couldn't get it buckled. But it did fit. The Frontier, interestingly enough, requires an even longer belt than the Regent does for the LBP. Not much longer, but a few inches and those few inches could be a deal-breaker depending on the length of the seatbelt. The advantage with the Frontier is that you get more flexibility with using SPB or LBP, but in the SporTrac I just couldn't get the seat even remotely tight using the SBP. The problem I had was that the lap portion of the belt is anchored to the floor, not the seat bite, and the angle was fixed, causing me to be unable to get the belt tightened enough. If your belts are anchored to the floor too, this could potentially be a problem for you. However, this particular setup in the SporTrac poses difficulty for every carseat I've ever tried in it. The Frontier was just impossible whereas the other seats eventually can be made tight.

The headrest is a teeny bit wobbly, but nothing I'm concerned about. It's not nearly as wobbly as the one on our Boulevard, if that's you're familiar with.

zactayaus

I have a 2000 suburban. I can get a rock the car solid install with sbp with the frontier in the outboard positions in the 2nd row. Took me all of about 3 minutes to install it. I also have a GN. I think the frontier is a little wider than the GN. I also think that the frontiers head rest is not nearly as solid as the GN's and does seem a bit wobbly to me.

MoreLatte

Thanks so much! My seatbelt in the third row was not long enough for lbp for the Regent. I had to install it sbp(against instructions) and it was never tight enough, so it's good to know that the FN requires more seatbelt.

I guess I'll stick with the GN, since I know it installs well in all seats of my vehicle. If the FN will only install well in one or two spots, that just won't work out. Sometimes we just have to shuffle seats around and I need versatility! Lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC