First encounter in car seat aisle for me

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I was at BRU and walked over to check out the car seats (despite having ordered a few on the way). A couple was there with a 9-10 month old little girl. I actually wasn't paying them much attention b/c I was looking at the Apex. But they started looking at the bpb next to the Apex...:eek: The dad said, "How about this one?" The mom: "I think that's for older kids." Dad: "So? We'll get it now, use it for the trip then put it in my car and have it forever." Mom: "I'm not sure I'd feel safe having her in it yet." Dad: "Oh, come on now!" Then... ME: "Actually, she's not big enough for that yet and she should be in a harness like this", pointing to the 5-pt-harness on the Apex. Then ME again: "She should really be RF for another couple of years anyway..." Then that led to "Oh we thought we HAD to turn her around at a year old, which is coming up"... In the end, the mom decided to get a carrying case (which I showed her) to use on their upcoming trip for the seat they had and delay buying a second seat for their new car until after viewing the crashtest videos online of RF and FF kids (which I told them about). The dad was like "whatever".

I felt a little nervous interjecting, but - I just couldn't keep my mouth closed after the dad wanted to put that tiny baby in a bpb! I then had to leave the carseat area b/c I found myself trying to listen to other shoppers!!!

Maria

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Good for you!!!!

I am so glad you gave them some good advice!

By any chance, that wasn't at the Seven Corners/Baileys Crossroads, VA BRU, was it? I was a that BRU the other day (looking at gates) and overheard someone giving some carseat advice about keeping a baby RF. That would be interesting if it was you! :D

I alternate between the Chantilly, Sterling, and Seven Corners BRU stores. They never know where I may turn up! :)

Last edited:

Tara

Woohoo! Good for you!

Honestly, the way I see it, some may disagree, go ahead..but the way I see it, *we* need to speak up when the opportunity arises. What's the worst that can happen? The parent(s) tell you to mind your own business?? Ok. No big deal. Yeah, *ouch* but, oh well, let it roll. At least you were making an effort at spreading the word of car seat safety.

southpawboston

it's great to spread the word about CPS, but it's not surprise to me that there are so many ignorant people. the problem IMHO is that the law is too lax. most people think that if they follow the official rules, they and their families will be safe. it's frustrating to those of us who know better to see so much ignorance (or indifference) about CPS, but unless the laws change and become much more stringent (like RF'ing longer, and FF'ing with harness longer), there will always be the less informed majority who think that sticking to the minimum requirements is "good enough".

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
By any chance, that wasn't at the Seven Corners/Baileys Crossroads, VA BRU, was it? I was a that BRU the other day (looking at gates) and overheard someone giving some carseat advice about keeping a baby RF. That would be interesting if it was you! :D

Yes! It was that BRU, but it was today... That's really the only one we ever go to but I haven't been in ages. Actually, I went by just to look at the Apex (may have gotten it for my inlaws but the color was ugly - need to check their car for a headrest, too).

Maria

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Good for you! :) I hope the mom follows through and views the crash test videos and keeps baby RF for much longer.

I hope so, too. They seemed surprised when I mentioned how long she should stay RF, so that's when I brought up the videos. The dad was still checking out the bpb but the mom's eyes were about to pop out of her head... She'd never ever heard of keeping a child RF that long. Then she turned to her husband and suggested they put off buying a seat until after she'd looked at the videos. Her DH then asked what they would use on the trip - that's when I told them about the carrier...:p The mom seemed excited about all this info; the dad - not so much so. :cool:

Well, it's my experience that *most* men don't take to being proven wrong very well. Lots of women don't, as well, to be fair, but I've known more women over the years who could say, "Hmm, really? I suppose I could be wrong-- must think on this..." than those of the opposite gender. :shrugs:

Good for you for speaking up! It takes so much guts, doesn't it? I'll bet that mom watches the crash test videos, and makes the hubby watch them too. Maybe that will have some effect on *his* opinions, after all! Ya done good!

Thanks! I actually just created my sig & added that photo a few days ago. :) So, you didn't miss it. It was never there before. ;)

We've actually stopped now. Just don't tell the baby-- she may not appreciate the sentiment! :eek:

:chuckling:

That quote was actually something a friend's Dh blurted out once when he was asked one too many times, exactly *how many* children they planned on having (they were working on #6 or #7 at the time). My own Dh gave me one of those keepers as well a few years back-- "We're just doing our best to outbreed the idiots!" I may change my sig to that at some point. :D

Tara

:chuckling:

That quote was actually something a friend's Dh blurted out once when he was asked one too many times, exactly *how many* children they planned on having (they were working on #6 or #7 at the time). My own Dh gave me one of those keepers as well a few years back-- "We're just doing our best to outbreed the idiots!" I may change my sig to that at some point. :D

LOL I like your style ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC