Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

graco snugride without EPS?

Hi there!

My name is Sarah, and I'm just doing some research trying to see if we have to buy a new carseat.

I had my daughter in Aug 2005, and we used the Graco Snugride for her infant seat. We loved it - never had one single problem with it.

Now, I am expecting again in Aug 2007, and this consumer reports study just came out. I'm not sure if my carseat has EPS. It was purchased in May/June '05.

If it in fact does NOT have the EPS, do we need to buy a new carseat, just for a little bit of foam??

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have! This is confusing....I wish they would have tested a non-EPS version, too!

Sarah

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: graco snugride without EPS?

No, you have a perfectly good seat. Consumer Reports' testing on carseats is worth less than what you paid for the magazine. Ignore it, or at best acknowledge it, wonder, and realize that every infant seat out there passed NHTSA testing and is perfectly safe provided it fits your car, fits your child, and is used properly 100% of the time.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Re: graco snugride without EPS?

I have the same problem as you, and I've decided not to get another infant seat because it will be used all of 4-5 months (if this coming baby is like the other 2, length-wise) and I will be driving infrequently (less than once a week) and for very short distances with the baby. I'll switch fairly soon to a RF convertible seat.

However if I were to use the seat for a whole year, lots of driving and mileage, etc. I probably would have bought a new seat, just to ease my mind.

You'll find lots of info on this board on the recent Consumer Report article. I've read everything, including a Transport Canada advisory and decided to take what CR says about car seats with a grain of salt (expect for the Evenflo seat flying off its base).
    DD 7, 52" 48# Maxi Cosi Rodi XR and Britax Parkway SG
    DS 5¾ 46" 45# Britax Parkway
    DS 3 1/2, 40" 36# SK Radian
    3 across in a '07 VW Rabbit and a '09 Acura MDX