OT - Internet Safety for Kids

Ali

I know this is off-topic, but I thought some people might know where I can find additional resources regarding Internet safety for kids. I have to do a presentation (less than 20 minutes) for K-6 parents regarding Internet safety.

Any resources?

Thanks!

ADS

Simplysomething

I don't have any sources for you, but a big one is to just hammer down the point that parents need to pay attention to where their children are online and who they are talking to. Tell them that while there is software that is intended to block certain objectionable material, it can't replace the parent's eyes. Etc.

Good luck on the presentation. Was it to be 20 minutes long, or 20 minutes from when you posted?

Wineaux

I don't have any sources for you, but a big one is to just hammer down the point that parents need to pay attention to where their children are online and who they are talking to. Tell them that while there is software that is intended to block certain objectionable material, it can't replace the parent's eyes. Etc.

Good luck on the presentation. Was it to be 20 minutes long, or 20 minutes from when you posted?

Keep in mind that the blocking software is pretty easy to defeat once a kid reaches a certain level of computer proficiency. Not only that, but the blocking software also tends to block out good websites as well that your kids will want to access for school. For instance, sites dealing with breast cancer tend to always be blocked. Online resources for gay and transgendered kids get blocked too. That sort of thing.

A very valuable tool for a parent is to install a keystroke logger on your child's computer. This will allow you to see every website they have visited, IM's they have sent, full chat room logs, as well as emails they write. If they type it, you can see it after the fact.

Ali

I only get 20 minutes to present to the parents. It is for parents who actually come to the learning night and choose to come to my session, so unfortunately they are probably the parents who are already diligent about watching their kids.

I don't really know much about the filtering software, so I was going to focus on keeping the computer in a public room of the house, if a child ever quickly minimizes or closes a browser window when a parent enters, etc. I also have "contracts" that both the parents and children sign about appropriate behavior for the Internet. I want it to be about teaching the child what is ok and what is not.

Thanks for the Netsmartz link - that is actually the curriculum we are using with the K-6 students!

Morganthe

Another major point is educating children from a young age (and this is really hard to do) to not share every bit of information about personal lives. They are very trusting and just do not realize how information such as
Parents occupation and/or income
House type & location
Age of them or family members
photos
city or school location
hobbies
daily schedules (school and at home)
etc...
Can be used against them or their families by really nasty people for Identity theft, pedophilia, and other criminal activities.

It is very difficult for a child or even teenager to truly understand that not everyone is who they seem online.
good luck on your presentation.

Last edited:

skipspin

I have worked with teens (who know more about the computers than their parents!) a lot and a very good filter program is Safe Eyes. You can google it. Yes, it sometimes blocks "okay" sites and can be a pain, but the Admin can allow them individually. You can also get email useage alterts and if you turn it off, you can't get online at all. So, it's a better option for teens than some of the simpler versions. You can also have different users so mom and dad can have different restrictions (or none) from the kids.

It's really scary how many kids have computers with internet in their rooms with absolutely NO accountibilty or protection these days! We see it all the time and the outcome is not usually good.

Simplysomething

Keep in mind that the blocking software is pretty easy to defeat once a kid reaches a certain level of computer proficiency. Not only that, but the blocking software also tends to block out good websites as well that your kids will want to access for school. For instance, sites dealing with breast cancer tend to always be blocked. Online resources for gay and transgendered kids get blocked too. That sort of thing.

I know, hence the "nothing replaces a parents supervision" thing.

Wineaux

Software only solutions are great up to a certain age and the users computer knowledge. Then, they are pretty easily defeated. You might want to look at this hardware solution as well.

iBoss and iPhantom

These products along with a keystroke logger will really help you out. Above all, as has been mentioned before, keep your eyes open! Keep the PC out in the family room and not in the child's room. Walk by regularly and see what your kids are up to on the computer. Talk to them about the dangers of the internet such as online predators, scammers, phishing email and websites, identity theft, and the like. Communication and vigilance is the key here.

vamom

There is a dvd available for kids about this too. It is by John Walsh and the lady that founded Baby Einstein. They also have a dvd on stranger safety. I saw some clips that looked promising. Check it out at www.thesafeside.com

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC