Question Has anyone put a child over 40lbs RF in XTSL?

stephcali

I'm hoping to receive my new XTSL this week and I'm really hoping to put my DD1 RF in it. She is definitely over 40lbs, and I know technically the XTSL goes to 45lbs. I'm just worried about actually getting her in there! She's not chubby just solid! She has already expressed to me that she would like to RF again, she climbed into DD2's RF Marathon and thought it was pretty fun (don't worry we didn't drive anywhere :)) I just don't know how I'm actually going to lift her in there. It's not too difficult in the Frontier since I don't have to lift her as far. Oh and I drive an Odyssey so it is actually quite a way up from the ground.

And I really don't know how long it will last since she hasn't slowed down in her weight gain ever, she's been over the charts in weight since she was about 6 months old. I really thought she would slow down once she started walking, but we ended up having to turn her FF when she was about 19 months old because she hit 33lbs (all we had at the time was a 33lb Marathon, and I was about to have a new baby and didn't want to have to try and install a brand new car seat feeling 10 months pregnant). So I'm hoping she won't hit 45lbs before her 3rd birthday in January, but we'll see (and cross all our fingers and toes!)

ADS

disbugsmomma

Do you think she'll be able to climb in on her own? My dd could climb into her FPSVD and her Como at that age, both rf. Might be worth a try anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids all climb into their own seats and get their arms in their straps. Then all I have to do is buckle. :) My 5 1/2 year old even tries to do her own (and sometimes the other two) but doesn't have the coordination yet.

emandbri

Elizabeth has been climbing in her seats for quite some time. It takes a little longer at first but she got faster over time. Also the radian sits lower than the MA so it us much easier for a child to get into by themselves. Still working on getting her to do the straps.

stephcali

You know I hadn't thought of her climbing in herself :p I guess we'll have to try that to start with. She can actually buckle herself all the way into her Frontier and almost tighten the straps all the way so that is very helpful for me :) Is the Radian harder or easier to buckle?

Blondie87

She's almost exactly 45 lbs. She just climbed right in, and I buckled her up.

IMG_3137.jpg

stephcali

Thanks for the picture! That helps to see a child who is almost exactly the same size as my DD :) Hopefully it will work for us, I've always felt a little guilty for having to turn her FF so early, but she hit 35lbs before she was 2 so up until very recently we didn't even have any other options.

tweetykl

I'm am amazed by how much leg room she has. Gives me hope for my daugther who has orthotics. She seems so cramped in the marathon because of the orthotics that go up past her ankles.

sunnymw

Tweety, I'd venture to say the Britax convertibles (and maybe the Recaros) have the smallest amount of leg room of all convertibles :) so there IS hope---TONS of it!! :D

Mommy2Marcus

My son also climbs into his own seat. He can also climb into his FF seat in DH's car to. So it makes our lives much easier. DH & I both have problems with our backs, so this is deffinatly a life saver for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC