New car - should I get a new seat?

K

kerneld

My DD is 46month (2months shy of 4)
39"
38lb

and I just got a new vehicle ('10 Honda Fit) and I want to know if the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX is still right for her.

I am using Latch/Tether in the center position, but that makes it a real squeeze for any rear passenger and I am contemplating moving it to the rear passenger side position, but the latch for that is on the bottom of the seat back which looks less secure than the center position which is on the rear roof.

If I get a new seat, It would probably be a 3 in 1 and the Graco Nautilius looks like it will last out the duration of the car seat period.

The other car is a '06 CR-V with a Brittax Marathon, and I am a little concerned at the CA crash test videos for that with the 5 point restraints pulling out from the seat! I don't intend to take that all the way to the 65lb limit! For now though, that is the main kid mobile and I am happy with the brittax marathon there, I just want to be sure when I occasionally take DD to Ben and Jerries or Chick Fill-E in my work commute vehicle (The Fit) that I am traveling in safety.
One consideration is that I will likely not have the seat fitted most of the time (Instead it would be in the back), so any replacement would need to be quick to setup with a good tight fit.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If your dd fits the triumph advance well and you're happy with the seat, I see no reason to replace it just because you have a new vehicle.

Does the Honda Fit have a dedicated set of lower anchors in the center of the back seat? Honda as a general rule doesn't allow borrowing of outboard anchors, so it's possible you may need to install with the seatbelt and top tether in the center position.

So far as the top tether anchor being on the back of the seat in the outboard position, there is no concern over that. Many new vehicles including both my 07 and my 09 have the tether anchors located on the back of the seats. Wherever the manufacturer decides to put it and test it is perfectly fine provided you can get a good installation.

Have you tried installing the seat passenger outboard? I'd give that a try and see how it goes. If it goes in easily there, then I see no need to buy a new seat before you have to. Then again, if you *want* to buy a new seat, that's a totally different story. :thumbsup:

Raegansmom4

I agree. If your dd still fits the seat (check to make sure her shoulders haven't gone over the top slot position) and the seat installs well in your new vehicle (again, check to see if it is allowed to use LATCH anchors in the center position- I don't think you can either in a Honda), then keep the seat. If you want to get a new seat, the Graco Nautilus is awesome. We have one and LOVE it. My dd is also almost 4 (Nov 4), but she is bigger (42# and 41"), so I snagged a Regent for her since they are going so cheap, but I still really love our Nauti. In fact, I'm keeping it for my youngest to use when she outgrows rear-facing.

Kat_Momof3

there is nothing wrong with the placement of the tether anchor being on the back of the vehicle seat... in fact, it is one of the most common placements.. it is where you almost always find the anchors on minivans.

And most vehicles don't have center latch, so make sure to check your vehicle manual on where you can and can't use latch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC