Two little girls who have outgrown their current seating situations

Stretchy Glue

100_6482.jpg

H-7 1/2 years. 70 lbs and 53":eek: (4'9" state) Holy cow.

100_6481.jpg

M-(niece) 5 years. 35 lbs and I don't know how tall. I swear to you, in June she fit in a Scenera like she fits in this today. Talk about a growth spurt! She's gained 5 lbs, and grown at least 3 inches because she all of the sudden outgrew pants for the very first time.

So, with H, her hips are too wide to fit in the Cosco booster, which has a slightly lower profile. She has a Dakota in DH's truck, but it doesn't give her any better fit in my car. The headrests in my car DO NOT go up. I'm praying she makes it to March which is when she turns 8 (the law) but I am just not sure.

With M, I think a Turbo is in our future. H still needs her seat, otherwise I'd put the back on it and give it to M. She'd be pretty narrow in it, but then I wouldn't have to buy a new one. She's right at (within .5") of outgrowing the harness, and her ears are getting up there to the top too. Dang growing.

Honestly, a new seat is not in the finances for my sister or us right now. DH is on his 10th month off, sis has been off since February so neither of us have a lot of money to spend right now. We'll figure things out, they'll work out because the always do, and for the time being, we'll stick with what we've got, but if either make it to Christmas in their seats it'll be a miracle.

ADS

Stretchy Glue

FPSVD, with the cover I wish I had. :thumbsup:

How does the booster fit H with the back on it?

Her shoulders touch the guides. I'm hooped. Yes, M is in the FPSVD. I wish they both still fit in their seats. It's a sad day.:(

Did anyone notice they're dressed alike? H spent the night with my niece and when they met us at church my niece had a nearly identical outfit to wear.:rolleyes:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Dang, she is tall! I bet she passes the 5-step test in that seat, too (though I understand why you can't just get rid of the booster.)

How about swapping seats? H could use the Frontier in booster mode for a little while, and M could use her Monterey until H can legally give up the booster?

Oh crud... I just realized that's not a Frontier M is riding in! :doh: Well, that at least makes her growth spurt not quite as shocking as I'd thought it was LOL. Maybe M's parents would like to buy her a Frontier? ;)

Stretchy Glue

Dang, she is tall! I bet she passes the 5-step test in that seat, too (though I understand why you can't just get rid of the booster.)

How about swapping seats? H could use the Frontier in booster mode for a little while, and M could use her Monterey until H can legally give up the booster?

Oh crud... I just realized that's not a Frontier M is riding in! :doh: Well, that at least makes her growth spurt not quite as shocking as I'd thought it was LOL. Maybe M's parents would like to buy her a Frontier? ;)

Deb, she does pass the 5 step test. Isn't that scary! M's parents cannot buy the Frontier right now. I might get my sis to buy a Turbo but that all depends on paychecks and bills as she's unemployed right now too. H is not legal to be out of a seat for 3 inches or 4 months. I honestly don't know if she'll make it. She's outgrowing the size 10 jeans she got in August already. Seriously, size 10!:eek: She's wearing a size 4 tennis shoe too! Our CPST team does have a couple of turbos I'm sure I cold borrow for M, but I don't have an option for H really. She's got hips that don't fit in most boosters. You can clearly see that there isn't a lot of width in the Monterey.

Defrost

Ah well, it was a nice hope (the Frontier).

I think I might just do away with the booster. You know she's safe, and it's unlikely any cop would even think to ask if she were under 8. Looking at that pic, I honestly think she'd have a better seat belt fit without the booster.

Stretchy Glue

Ah well, it was a nice hope (the Frontier).

I think I might just do away with the booster. You know she's safe, and it's unlikely any cop would even think to ask if she were under 8. Looking at that pic, I honestly think she'd have a better seat belt fit without the booster.

Oh I'm going to cry! My baby! I know this is the best option. You'd think I'd photoshopped or something. My little munchkin barely fit in an infant seat when I took her home, and now she's outgrowing boosters. :crying::crying:

Defrost

Oh, I know! :( It really does seem way too young - I remember when Gypsy realized that her dd 5-stepped the 3rd row of her van... at age 7! You kinda go "okay, I knew she was taller than most kids her age, but is she really THAT much taller?"

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd have to see pictures of her without the booster.

I think I might try to just ride it out and keep her how she is until/unless she no longer fits properly. Right now, she does. She has head support, a good belt placement and it looks like her torso could grow up to an inch more before she outgrows the backless booster in that seating position.

Oh, I know! :( It really does seem way too young - I remember when Gypsy realized that her dd 5-stepped the 3rd row of her van... at age 7! You kinda go "okay, I knew she was taller than most kids her age, but is she really THAT much taller?"

Yeah, and it was barely after her 7th birthday too!

Joni's dd is about the same size as my dd - and my dd will be 9 in about 6ish weeks.

The only other seat I think that might buy her some booster time is the SafeGuard GO backless - it's got a very low profile, but that's a lot to dish out for a few months use, and I'd go boosterless before doing that IF she has a great 5-step-test.

Kat_Momof3

WOW... H spurted to go catch up with Damian's growth style... you remember my boy hitting 4'9" at 8yrs old? She might just do that!

She looks like she's got about 2" before her ears go over... (and I wouldn't move her when they go level... I'd wait till they're over)

and you know, if the belt doesn't fit her right, I'd keep using the booster with less than ideal head support because belt fit is more important.

Your niece is tall, too... and a spurt around that age is pretty normal... but at least she made it till 5.

Gorgeous girls of course... and just looking at H... I'd say another spurt is coming.
(Does she still fit with the back ON the Monterey, per chance?)

Stretchy Glue

WOW... H spurted to go catch up with Damian's growth style... you remember my boy hitting 4'9" at 8yrs old? She might just do that!

She looks like she's got about 2" before her ears go over... (and I wouldn't move her when they go level... I'd wait till they're over)

and you know, if the belt doesn't fit her right, I'd keep using the booster with less than ideal head support because belt fit is more important.

Your niece is tall, too... and a spurt around that age is pretty normal... but at least she made it till 5.

Gorgeous girls of course... and just looking at H... I'd say another spurt is coming.
(Does she still fit with the back ON the Monterey, per chance?)

No Kat, she doesn't fit with the back. Her shoulders are touching the red belt guides. She's grown since I bought her school clothes in August, so another spurt doesn't surprise me. Now my niece, she doesn't seem very tall to me, but apparently she has a good sized torso. She's always been so tiny but has really grown since June.

Mommy0608

Wow, that's really a tough call. :( Without seeing her in just the seat belt, it's hard to say what I'd do in this situation. I agree that it isn't likely that a police officer will assume she's under 8 simply because of her size. However, I also agree that right now she does fit as-is, so I'd be inclined to leave her in the backless booster until she grows more. Hopefully it'll be after her birthday, but of course you can't predict a growth spurt.

BabyKaykes

Nothing to offer. Just wanted to say hi, long time no see (you too Kat)! And I can't believe how much she's grown!

scatterbunny

Wow, Joni, she is getting so big, and she's longer-torsoed and bigger-boned than my H now, even though my H is now 3 inches taller (56 inches and about 75 pounds). My H is also in Youth size 4 shoes (Women size 6). She's outgrowing some of her size 10 pants, too (her Levi Strauss from KMart and her Old Navy ones in the waist, others in length, though the waist is fine). Size 12 pants are still a smidge too long and most are way too big in the waist, so we have to go with adjustable waist. We're experimenting with slims (have two pair on order). Like your H (I noticed in your Halloween pic thread), my H can wear many women's size XS/S shirts.

Your H definitely has to be longer-torsoed than my H (think we already knew this), though, because she's 3 inches shorter and has already maxed out the Monterey highback. My H is now on the highest setting of the Starriser Comfy (so I think she would be on the highest in the Monterey, too, with not much grow room). Thankfully the Indy Plus gives us more height room than any other booster we've tried, and that's her primary seat. I think she's still on the second-to-top setting on that one.

I will be in the same situation as you very soon (although, since my H is 8, it is technically legal for her to go without a booster in my state). One more inch and she will be be 4'9. That will happen in the next 4-5 months, I'm guessing. She will be too tall for her highbacks before 9. But neither of our vehicles have rear headrests, and on top of that, she has awhile to go before she can pass the 5 step test (at least in my car). Her feet are still several inches from touching the floor, the lapbelt is still too high for my comfort, and the shoulderbelt rides a bit too high.

Even if a child technically passes the 5 step test at a very young age, I still worry about the lapbelt riding up too high in a crash due to immature iliac crests. There's a study out that shows kids are safest in boosters until closer to puberty, for this very reason.

It's hard having a huge kiddo, I know. ((HUGS)) I worry all the time, do we need to consider a new vehicle (SO not an option right now, with dh losing 40% of his income), a new booster...or have her sit up front, so she can continue to use a backless, at least, for proper belt positioning (and the front would give her the headrest she'd need). But, I have always heard that the back is safer, anyway, even without head support.

My ultimate opinion on your situation is that she fits okay for now, and I'd keep her in the booster as long as possible, until it starts to make the belt fit worse rather than better. Definitely try her in the center position, that could make all the difference.

menfusse

My girl is around the same size as both your H's, lol...and same age. She's all legs though, so we're blessed in the booster dept. She still has room to go in both her Vivo and Monterey.

Joni, I know budget is tight, but what about a cheap high rise booster or another low proflie backless. Does she have hip room in one of those? Probably not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Not sure what to suggest for your neice other than the turbo.

Stretchy Glue

My girl is around the same size as both your H's, lol...and same age. She's all legs though, so we're blessed in the booster dept. She still has room to go in both her Vivo and Monterey.

Joni, I know budget is tight, but what about a cheap high rise booster or another low proflie backless. Does she have hip room in one of those? Probably not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Not sure what to suggest for your neice other than the turbo.

Nope, not enough hip room. I just made a call to the state coalition to see if they could help me out. They may have some options or seats that I can try out.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, I went and sought you out, also:eek: My dd will be 7 in February, so 6.75 years old. She is 51 inches or so, and 76 pounds. She is in a parkway now, but barely, and I think she ends up slouching a bit because of the slant of the seat. Now, is the monterey taller than the parkway? ANd by how much if it is. Darn, I can't find a pic in the car. She is I think on the second to last notch on the parkway. I think we are looking at like a 20 inch torso. She outgrew the regent before 6. She needs an 8 or 10 pant (8 length is better, 10 a bit too long) and at least a 12 shirt really as of now. And she is wide too. And she can barely get her butt into the turbo.

and in another 2 years, I will most likely be saying the same thing about her younger sister, who just turned 4 and outgrew her decathlon at 3.25 years old, and is on the top slot of a nautilus and 3rd of the regent, creeping up to needing to go to the top already. sigh. she is 43 inches and 43 pounds right now.

Stretchy Glue

Jennifer, you're singing my song. My Monterey is taller than the PW, but I don't know about the others that don't go as tall. I am so relieved that the Frontier is going to work, but she said it's narrow, not uncomfortable, but narrow. She loves it. Pics are coming as soon as Photobucket uploads them all the way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC