Vent UGGG got into it with a Dad at BRU....

emandbri

I went to babies r us today and couldn't help but walk down the car seat aisle. There was a dad there talking to a BRU employee with a tiny child sitting in a graco turbo. I was going to let the guy do his job but when the dad put two turbos in his cart I had to speak up.

I asked if he was buying the seat for that child and he said yes. I told him that Missouri law says kids need to stay in a harness until 4 and that his son needed to be in a harness instead. He asked where it says that on the box. I told him that the box says that kids can use it at 3 but kids really need to be in a harness longer then that and that Missouri law is stricter then other states in that regard. I told him I was a car seat tech.

He then asked what happened before kids were in car seats, I told him kids were killed in crashes.

I then pointed out that the box also says that kids can't use it until 30 lbs, I could tell he wasn't 30 lbs. The BRU employee then asks how much the child weighs, the dad says 26 lbs and says he is almost 3 :eek: The employee tells him he needs to be in a harness and points to the sign above the seats that says booster seats 40 to 80 lbs (I think it said 80).

I asked the dad what he was in now since chances are he would fit fine and he told it was none of my business. I told him I was just trying to help and he says that he didn't ask for my help. He says he has 4 kids and they are all perfectly safe and asked me to leave.

I am quite upset that the employee didn't ask the child's age, or weight, until I was there trying to help the dad. The kid was seriously tiny and he obviously wasn't 4 or 40 lbs.

I'm going to write a letter to the manager at BRU and tell him/her that the employees really need some training!

ADS

2BunniesMommy

How sad for that 2 year old.

I am actually impressed that the BRU employee agreed with you, even if it did take you speaking up first.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
It's a hard thing to do to speak up. Good for you. Maybe the dad will go home, even if he buys the TB, and do a little research. But he certainly sounds like the type that wasn't going to show he didn't know what he was doing.

As for BRU, I got into with an EMPLOYEE of the gear dept once...he said the MARATHON converted to a booster. I couldn't let that go. It got pretty heated, and I did go to the manager over that one.

Kat_Momof3

man that dad sounded like he was being a jerk... the employee was probably just (wrongly) assuming the guy wouldn't put a kid who was too small and too young in the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC