Ok, "Brytax" or "Britax"?

nursekori

Since I am such a noob, I have to ask...Is Britax pronounced how it sounds or is the emphasis on the "i" so that it is a "y" sound? I have been pronouncing it like "Bry-tax", but some lady at BRU said it was pronounced "Bri-tax" (like as in the word 'Britain') just curious :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Since I am such a noob, I have to ask...Is Britax pronounced how it sounds or is the emphasis on the "i" so that it is a "y" sound? I have been pronouncing it like "Bry-tax", but some lady at BRU said it was pronounced "Bri-tax" (like as in the word 'Britain') just curious :)

Hehehe, never trust anyone at BRU ;) (I've even heard Breetax...and from a tech who really didn't care to learn, Braxton).

SPJ&E

I say Bry-tax (with the I sound being like eye)...that's what customer service says as well, so that's what I stick with!

southpawboston

i just can't bring myself to pronounce it any other way than "bree-tax" or "brit-ax".

on a related note, ever since childhood (and my associated fascination with cars), i ignorantly assumed recaro was italian simply by the sound of it!!!! it was only recently that i learned the name is just an amalgam of reutter carosserie-Werke and that it's been a german company all along!

LuvBug

yeah I always say it with the long I, thats how CS says it.
The one that gets me is 'chicco', its not chee-ko or sheek-o or she-ko but key-ko. go figure.

Lea_Ontario

yeah I always say it with the long I, thats how CS says it.
The one that gets me is 'chicco', its not chee-ko or sheek-o or she-ko but key-ko. go figure.

I CANNOT wrap my head around "Chicco" being "key-ko" :confused: It makes absolutely NO sense.

Lea_Ontario

And dont' forget Robeez is "Rob-eez" as in "Robert"
It is NOT "Robe-eez"

I never had a problem with that one - I can visually separate the two parts "Rob" and "eez" - and it helps that I have a brother Robbie - so hearing "Robbie's" just sounds right.

LuvBug

I CANNOT wrap my head around "Chicco" being "key-ko" :confused: It makes absolutely NO sense.

oh I know! but that is how they say it. If you go to their website and watch the keyfit demo it says "the key-ko keyfit" lol!

I still think and say chee-ko even knowing it is suppose to be key-ko.

smurf

Chicco is Italian. "ch" = "k"
Think radicchio (rah-dee-kio).

I personally say Britax as in Britain, because, well, it's British company, I think? (at least their corporate headquarters are in the UK).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If I recall correctly, in Italian Ch is prounounced "K" and Ci is pronounced "Ch." That is why ciao is pronounced "chow." Chicco follows the standard rules of Italian, if I recall correctly.

Britax = the i is followed by another vowel, which is why it is pronounced with a long i. This follows the standard rules of English grammar.

Graco= the a is followed by another vowel, which is why it is pronounced with a long a. This follows the standard rules of English grammar.

Robeez= if it follows the standard rules of English grammar, it should be pronounced with a long o, but there are always exceptions! :D

There are definitely always exceptions to the rules. Names can be funny.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC