Britax Multi Tech used in teh US...pls. respond if you own one

aisraeltax

im just wondering....the seats are not "legal" in the US. from my perspective, it seems that if we were to be in an accident, our insurance company could refuse to pay for any damage if our child is harmed.

how did you justify using it in the US? im seriously tempted but have to get through some hurdles first.

if you dont want to say in this thread, please pm me. :)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No snark, but people can justify anything they want to.

It's not legal. This means that the law and the insurance company can treat it as if the child was not restrained at all. What that means will depend on the state and the company.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
One's insurance policy may touch on child restraints or restraints in general, it could be worth reading.

aisraeltax

i understand its not legal. i would just like to talk to someone who uses them in the US...if not in this thread, then privately. thats all. not trying to start or continue a debate.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have one, but here are my thoughts.

Take my state for example. We have a proper use clause and a clause stating that the seat has to be federally approved (or something like that). So yes, using a foreign seat would be illegal. Then again, so would misusing a US seat, and we know that most people do that. (Not properly installed, etc.) But insurance companies replace those...

Most insurance workers are pretty clueless about car seats, and might not even ask what type of seat was in use. Or if they did ask, they likely wouldn't know that it's an approved seat.

In practical terms, if you (general you) can afford to import that seat, you can probably handle taking the loss if it's ruined. I wouldn't expect insurance to pay the $500 (or more?) to import another one--just for replacement value of a similar US seat.

Honestly, now that there are US seats that will get most kids to at least 4 years old RF, I don't really see the point in paying so much money to import an illegal seat, but it's an individual choice, obviously.

tl01

I checked on this issue re insurance before we bought our TWE. My insurance company said they would have to cover DS in a crash just as they would with a child who was not restrained at all, or was in a improperly installed seat, or the wrong seat for the child. They said that if he was in the car at the time of the crash and if he was injured he'd be covered by my insurance. I also confirmed this with my health insurance company.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC