Question New (Maybe?) seat for my big boy.....

jenofeve

Hello!

I had another baby boy at the end of June. He's currently (HUGE) just under 19lbs and 27inches long and will be 4 months tomorrow. He has been riding in a Graco Snugride (his brother's from 2007). DS1 (2.5yrs, about 34lbs, 37 inches) is in a FF MA (he was turned due to weight). We also have a Radian (an older 48lb one) in hubby's vehicle. DS2 is just about out of the Graco following the 1" hardshell rule. So what to do......

Move DS2 into the MA and get a new seat for DS1? I haven't been by here in a while so i'm out if the loop on anything new. My initial thought was a Nautalis (sp?) or Frontier for DS2 but maybe you all will have better suggestions.

We also need a second seat for the grandparents car in BC (we're in Ontario). We currently have a 48lb Radian there and a Graco Snugride. We'll need a new seat for our Christmas visit there. Preferably something that's smaller than the Radian RF, and something that could also be used for my 5 yr.old niece (i'm guessing about 40lbs and 40in?) when we're not in town. I know she rides in a booster *cringe*, but my mom has her one day a week and i'm trying to talk her into harnessing her.

Thanks in advance. You guys are the best :love:

ADS

mommycat

(Belated) Congrats on the new baby! ;)

I would be trying to get something that RF past 30lbs for the baby. But more on that in a minute.

I would probably get the Nauti or Frontier for DS1 like you said and give the baby the MA to RF in. Keep using the RN in DH's vehicle. The MA will be easy to move to DH's vehicle when needed.

I was going to suggest that you give the MA to your mom when you go to see them - use it onboard for the flight, it should make the flight so much easier to have a place to put the baby, not to mention it's safer. (I'd get a CARES harness for DS1.) The MA would hopefully fit your niece as well, although could she use the Radian since it's already FF (just remember to take out the SafeStop when you leave)? And that way you could get a 35+lb RF seat to use at home where you need it full-time. If you don't want to do that, you could get a TF to use there, it will fit smaller than the Radian RF and be really easy to switch to FF and change harness height.

For your seats at home, I would be looking at having DS1 in the Nauti/Frontier in your vehicle, the Radian in DH's vehicle (sounds like you still have tons of room despite the 48lb limit), and get one of the 35-lb seats for DS2. Or a 40lb or 45lb seat, depending on what's available when you are shopping for it. Sounds like your kids are pretty big, at least to start, so some room to RF longer would really benefit the little one. Here's a list of seats that RF past 30 lbs, with new ones in the offing (I think it's the Radians coming out at 40/45lbs RF soon, though I am not sure when):
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1030348

jenofeve

Thanks for the reply :) I appreciate all the suggestions. I never thought about bringing the MA to YVR- good idea! I will look more into a seat that will RF longer for DS2. I have a little time, but not a lot. I don't particularly like the Radian because it doesn't seem very comfortable (but it was a $99 Cdn Tire Special so who's complaining?!) so i'm happy to keep it as the extra in DH's car and focus on finding the right combination for the primary car. We are getting a '09 Hyundai Santa Fe this week, I hope there are no install issues with this vehicle.

I do already have a CARES harness for DS1- he's been on 29 flights now. We got it right when it came out and he coincidentally was turning one, mostly Toronto-Vancouver, and it's SO handy..... each flight I have to go through the whole thing with the FA's but they're usually keen to know more about it and see how it works. I should figure out how to post a pic here.

mommycat

I have a friend who has the '07 [ETA I checked and it's '07, not '08] Santa Fe and has successfully installed a FF Radian as well as a Nauti (and RF anf FF older-model AOEs). Seemed to be pretty forgiving for installs. :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC