My 4 year old and my 8 month old use the same slots on the XT

oxeye

Weird!!

I put DS in DD2's RF XT in DH's car today. I fully expected to have to lower the straps for him. He was even with the third slots. DD2 is way above those slots but not quite to the 4th ones.

That was just shocking for me! I would technically need to move the crotch buckle in a slot for the baby but even that was just barely in front of him with his big 'ole cloth diaper butt.

ADS

abigaylebelle

Wow that's funny. There is so much space between the 3rd and 4th slots on that seat. You said you need to move the crotch strap in for the baby, is it not allowed to be just in front of the crotch? I think I might need to go move mine...

oxeye

Wow that's funny. There is so much space between the 3rd and 4th slots on that seat. You said you need to move the crotch strap in for the baby, is it not allowed to be just in front of the crotch? I think I might need to go move mine...

Yeah for kids 5-30 pounds you want the buckle in the slot closest to or under the child. You don't want it angled back towards the child (ie so their butt could slide away from the back of the car seat).

For kids 30+ pounds, the manual just says to have it in the position furthest out.

Actually, if I added the comfy soft I wouldn't need to move the crotch strap in (and I would use the comfy soft with DS if it were his seat).

Karen

Yeah for kids 5-30 pounds you want the buckle in the slot closest to or under the child. You don't want it angled back towards the child (ie so their butt could slide away from the back of the car seat).

For kids 30+ pounds, the manual just says to have it in the position furthest out.
I called and talked to Russ about this part in the manual. He said to use the best fit, and that it only said that because "most kids" need the one farthest out.

As for the strap thing, both of my kids need the third too. It is crazy!

lil.miss32

Granted, I have the XT SL but in my manual it said not to use the outmost position for rear facing... Don't know if it's the same?

oxeye

Granted, I have the XT SL but in my manual it said not to use the outmost position for rear facing... Don't know if it's the same?

Definitely different from my manual. Of course my manuals also say to use the headrest in the lowest position when using the bottom two harness slots. If I didn't read this board or haved looked at the manual online I wouldn't know that they changed that. (My XTs have 12/08 DOMs which are the earliest batch AFAIK)

Karen

It does say to use the farthest out position in my XT manual, but I was curious about it so I called Russ. He said that they are all reinforced the same, that all call be used, and that it was only in there because MOST kids over 30 pounds (which I disagree with) will need the outer most position. There was a HUGE gap on DS on the outer most position so I called about it.

triscuitsmom

My son isn't four, he's three but yeah both my boys are on the third slot too. And my younger son has been on the third slot for quite a while and he's only just barely 9 months old now. It's definitely the slot that'll get the most use around here LOL :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC