What is the actual top slot height on the Gen65?

Shaunam

I keep hearing 15.5", but that just doesn't seem right. DS fits with plenty of room to grow, but he's outgrowing other seats with 16-16.5" top slots.

I know some seats seem to be roomier even if the actual measurement is the same as others, but this is a little odd to me.

Are people not moving the headrest up and seeing the tallest slot or what?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The actual measurement doesn't seem to correspond??
I didn't have a measuring tape with me, i as going off my kids measurements.

All i know is, dd;'s torso sitting against a wall, legs crossed, is 16 inches even, maybe 16 and a quarter, and she is dead even with the second to top slot in her nauti, and yet has a good inch in the gen 65. That measn the top slot of the gen 65 is about 1 inch higher thanthe second to top slot of the nauti...which is also, since the slots are exactly 2 inches apart, approx 1 inch below the top slot.

Another poster just posted the same thing...her dd fit into the nauti about even with the second to top slots, and absolutely had an inch+ of growing room in the gen 65.

When you measure it though...it doesn't seem to make sense. That poster got 15.5 for the gen65, and 17.5 for the nauti, which would seem to indicate a 2 inch difference in top slot height...but yet, based on how her child fit, the difference was only an inch or so. so...?????...ya? another phantom seat?

All i know is, my dd is well over the top slots of say..the titan, which has 15.5 top slots, and the AOE, which also has about 15.5 top usable slots....but yet still has room in a generations. so regardless of teh measurements, I feel confident telling a parent whose child is outgrowing one of the smaller, shorter-slotted convertibles like a scenera, titan, tribute, comfortsport, 40-lb AOE, etc, that they will in fact gain harnessing time in a gen65. Not as much time as a nauti, but probably *enough* time for most kids to get to a proper booster age.

Shaunam

All i know is, my dd is well over the top slots of say..the titan, which has 15.5 top slots, and the AOE, which also has about 15.5 top usable slots....but yet still has room in a generations. so regardless of teh measurements, I feel confident telling a parent whose child is outgrowing one of the smaller, shorter-slotted convertibles like a scenera, titan, tribute, comfortsport, 40-lb AOE, etc, that they will in fact gain harnessing time in a gen65. Not as much time as a nauti, but probably *enough* time for most kids to get to a proper booster age.

Yeah, I recommend it all the time because it IS going to harness kids to 5 or 6 years, but sometimes people want an actual measurement and I can't give them one. If I tell them 15.5" they'll completely overlook the seat because that's ridiculously low. Maybe it's a phantom seat. That's SO far off from the usual .5" or so that phantom seats seem to vary on though.

I really need to start carrying a tape measure in my purse so on the rare occasion I make it out to babies'r'us, I can do my OWN measurements. :p

cookie123

I can measure infant seat's lower slots with my thumb and forefinger. If I can't reach the slot when my thumb is on the bottom, then it's too tall!

Qarin

On my older (Feb, 2005) Generations, if I measure it unoccupied from the top of the seat-bottom cushion to the bottom of the top slot, I get 15.5". But! the seat bottom is a very soft cushion, and a child with any weight pushes it down quite far. If i push the bottom down pretty hard, and measure from there to closer to the top of the top slot, I get 16.5"! Add to that a bottom that isn't shoved RIGHT up to the back of the seat (and with the shape of the back, I think that's typical that it wouldn't be) and you'll get a bit more space, too.

veggiegirl228

I have this seat in my garage right now. I measured just shy of 16", I got this at the display at BRU and at home. Give me a minute to upload to PB...BRB

veggiegirl228

I can get more pictures if anybody needs, just let me know!
Cloth tape measure:
DSCN2321-1-1.jpg

Metal one:
DSCN2320-1.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Is it possibly an issue of recline, etc.? The compression adding another inch is another good point.

veggiegirl228

I have pictures of the two positions and it made no differences. DD has less room in this seat than in her EFTA (both uninstalled and installed). Maybe a bad batch? Maybe if someone is at a BRU they could measure and see what is gotten?

veggiegirl228

I redid the pictures this time inside the house. I have closer to 16" now, what changed I don't know. I seen no difference if the seat was reclined or not.

Cloth:
DSCN2365-1.jpg

Metal:
DSCN2354-1.jpg

Kat_Momof3

I remember this being an issue with the Bolero/Generations that went to 40lbs... some got closer to 15... others got 17

we never figured out why.... just freaky seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC