Word is getting out about rear-facing!

emandbri

Someone on my St. Louis board and there are 2 others moms with kids over 2 rear-facing! I'm so happy I have tears in my eyes! One is in an EFTA one orbit toddler seat.

Three said they kept kids backwards until 18 months, not bad!

Three moms said they wish they had kept their kids rear-facing longer.

Last edited:
ADS

AtTheSouthDam

Yay!
A mom at DD2's preschool was making an offhand comment about her daughter, 12 months, needing a new seat soon. I mentioned she had plenty of time and that Ciara still technically fit in that seat at 2 years (SS1) and that RF was safer. She told me her pediatrician had told her that at her daughters 9 months appt that children should rf until at least two! I should have asked who her pedi was ;)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've seen a lot of ERF kids lately. I think the peds here are starting to spread the news (well, some of them...)

I also have had lots of success getting parents to turn kids back RF. It helps to have good data! :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yep, the peds are getting on board! I have had a lot of moms tell me that their peds told them to!

Mommy2Marcus

Yes, the word is getting out there slowly, but surely. I have also had quite a few people as of late tell me that their ped told them to keep them RF to at least 2 years old. It is SO nice to know that peds are finally catching up on it. I know my ped tells parents to keep their kids RF to 2. I have only seen a few ERF kids around here.

steph_s

My pediatrician makes all parents sign a safety waver for their children. If they want him to be their doctor they have to do certain things (or get approval from him otherwise). Here are some of the things on his checklist...

-Must stay rf until 2 years old, 30lbs or until parents can prove child has outgrown a convertible car seat. (help is available to those who can't afford a seat)
-Children must stay in ff in a 5-pt harness until 4 years and 40lbs
-Children must stay in a high back booster seat until that booster is outgrown and then stay in a no back booster until 8 years old and 80lbs.
-Children must be enrolled in swim classes before age 2 and learn water safety. (offered free in my area to those with a physician referral which he will gladly do.)
-Children must wear bike helmets at all times while operating a moving device (it lists things like scooters, power wheel toys, ect).
-Hot water tanks in the home must be set at no higher than 120 degrees
-Children must attend safety city before kindergarten (program put on by police department to teach children how to cross the road, what to do in case of fire, stranger danger, ect)
-Children must learn to wake up to a smoke detector and what to do in case of a fire before age 3. (I thought he was crazy, but he gives pamphlets and my son at 2.5 knew exactly what to do!)
-Wall outlet covers, cleaning supplies put up or locked up and all guns, knives ect locked up.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE My pediatrician!! He has seen too many kids get hurt or killed and has basically had enough. He wants all the parents of the kids he cares for to know basic safety for their children!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My pediatrician makes all parents sign a safety waver for their children. If they want him to be their doctor they have to do certain things (or get approval from him otherwise). Here are some of the things on his checklist...
I would refuse just on principle, but I suppose it works for some.

Little Ps Mama

Wow! I wonder how receptive his new patients are to that.

steph_s

He is the best pediatrician in this area and we have a lot of pediatricians. People generally call him when they are pregnant for a new patient consult and appointment, if you want until after your child is born you have to wait almost a year to get in to see him. I didn't have a problem with signing it, but I see it as him wanting to protect children not rule my life. He is also very against formula unless mom has an issue with bm, but that isn't something he pushes just requests that the mother at least try bf. He actually paid for the rented pump for my friend out of his own pocket so she could continue to bf her twins after she went back to work.

He offers same day appointments, no one to share call with so it's only going to be him after hours if you have an emergency, he has admitting privileges to all 9 local hospitals (most only have 1 or 2 they can admit to), he will do house calls if your child is super sick, ect. I love him, everyone I know loves him...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC