Need carseat recommendation, please.

MelanieT88

Hi everyone. I'm Melanie. I've been reading this forum forever for awesome advice and have decided to become a member today since there's so much correct information here.

Now on the my question...

I have a 9 1/2 month old who is still in her snugride baby bucket as of now. She is our third and smallest. (16 1/2 lbs 25 1/2 in.)
Though she'll probably make it to her birthday in her bucket, I want to find a replacement soon to have on hand.
I've been looking at the MyRide at Target, and really like it, but when I looked at it closer today I noticed how very, very far in leans back RF. Does it have to go on the middle tilt RF? when it's with an older baby?

I'm asking because my sister is our nanny and the kids are in her car a lot. She also takes my 4 year old son who is in a triumph. Right now she drives a 2 door 2002 Hyundaii accent. I need a carseat that will work RF but will still allow room for driver and passenger. Any recommendations? Thanks so much!!!

ADS

jujumum

Hello and welcome!:)

The My Ride and Britax convertibles (Marathon, Roundabout50, and Boulevard) take up about the same room (front to back) as eachother, and less than the Radian (in most vehicles). One thing that the Britax & Radian have over it is a rear facing tether.

The My Ride and the Britax are fairly easy to install and don't need to be in the middle position. Other popular seats include the Recaro Signo and the Learning Curve True Fit. I've never handled a Signo, but prefer the My Ride to the True Fit. It is a great seat.:)

Last edited:

armywife12

The best way to find out is to go to BRU and try it out in her vehicle. We have the MyRide rear facing in the center position of my husband's Neon for my 26 month old and it fits great and isn't touching the front seats at all. We had it outerboard rear facing in my mom's Camry last weekend and it didn't touch the front passenger seat that I was sitting in. I know that vehicle has a much larger back seat though. The seat has a very natural recline to it so I think you should be able to get the seat more upright while still having your little one nice and reclined because of the natural recline it has. There are ways to get seats more upright while still in the recline position. If it doesn't fit, the Scenera is a nice seat that is smaller and very buget friendly. While it is the cheapest convertible seat available, it is one of the nicer ones for under $100 and will rear face most average children to at least 2 yrs old so your little one should fit even longer than that. When rear facing is outgrown, you can get a higher weight harnessing seat like the Nautilus afterwards.

cookie123

Check carseatdata.org for ideas. Just plug in the make and model of car. Skip the year, since it's likely other years are the same. Also skip the type of carseat. You'll get some listings back. You can click on them for further info.

(Broken link removed: website no longer exists)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I use a MR for an older child and, with a bit of work, am able to get it reasonably upright. I don't think it takes up any more room in my vehicle than the Scenera it sits next to, or the True Fit (when the headrest is on.) I use a baseless SnugRide on occasion as well, though, and that does seem smaller.

A lot of it has to do with your seat geometry, and I definitely second the idea of taking your sister's car to Babies R Us. (Don't trust the install on the test bench, it was way, way off, for me, at least.) You can install it back there and see how it works as far as passenger room goes.

Only concern I would have is the width of the backseat of her car? Due to the cupholders, the MR is a very wide seat. However, in my experience it puzzles well with many (though not all) seats, as the other seats are able to slide underneath the cupholders. I don't have a Triumph, so I'm not sure how that would work, though I suspect you'd have a better chance FFing than RFing (but who knows.)

Kat_Momof3

okay.. first... what Triumph is your 4yr old in... the old Triumph with the 40lb limit or the new Triumph ADVANCE with the 50lb limit?

because what I would likely do is pass down his seat to your baby (especially if it is the 40lb triumph) and get him a Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.

all together ooky

Eh, if it's the 40lb Triumph it wouldn't last long rear-facing. If it's the 50lb Triumph Advance I'd give that to the baby and get a new seat for the 4 year-old (probably a Nautilus).

MelanieT88

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to try the MR in both of our cars because I really, really like it.

okay.. first... what Triumph is your 4yr old in... the old Triumph with the 40lb limit or the new Triumph ADVANCE with the 50lb limit?

because what I would likely do is pass down his seat to your baby (especially if it is the 40lb triumph) and get him a Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.

Eh, if it's the 40lb Triumph it wouldn't last long rear-facing. If it's the 50lb Triumph Advance I'd give that to the baby and get a new seat for the 4 year-old (probably a Nautilus).

He's still in the older Triumph, FF. He's 4 as of August but just hit 32 lbs. We're waiting for him to outgrow it and then we'll be getting him the Nautilus. I didn't really want to hand it down to dd since it does have the shorter shell so we had to turn my son around due to height (though he's not really that tall) since his head was coming to close to the top.

cookie123

The most cost effective thing to do would be pass down the Triumph and get your 4 year old a Nautilus. Even if he hasn't outgrown the Triumph, he will soon. The Nautilus is a great long lasting forward facing only seat.

Your 4 year old has outgrown the seat if his shoulders have gone above the top harness slot (harness at or above the shoulders for forward facing), if the tips of the ears go above the shell, or of course if the weight limit it met. Most kids outgrown their seat by height first.

Kat_Momof3

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to try the MR in both of our cars because I really, really like it.

He's still in the older Triumph, FF. He's 4 as of August but just hit 32 lbs. We're waiting for him to outgrow it and then we'll be getting him the Nautilus. I didn't really want to hand it down to dd since it does have the shorter shell so we had to turn my son around due to height (though he's not really that tall) since his head was coming to close to the top.

Okay... with his weight... here's what I 'd do.

I'd get the MR... and put your SON in it... rf... he can rearface to 40lbs... or until his sister outgrows the triumph rf (and I know what you mean about hating that short shell... we had one for Ruthie and upgraded to a Britax Marathon for the same reason)

anyway... when your daughter gets too big to rf in the Triumph OR your son hits 40lbs (whichever comes first) I'd then move your son to a Nautilus at that time and pass the MR down to your daughter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC