Should I buy a My Ride?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
With the $120 sale and the 20% off coupon at Babies R Us posted in the Coupons, Deals, and Shopping section, I'm wondering if I should get a My Ride. I have a gift card to BRU, so even with tax, I'd be spending about $62 out of pocket for the My Ride. It would be an unexpected expense, but if it would be a good investment, I'd be willing to spend the money.

I think it's a great deal for a My Ride, but I'm wondering if the excitement of spending $62 on a My Ride is clouding my judgement. I like the My Ride, but I don't necessarily know if it's the best seat for me to get in my situation.

I have a newly-turned 2 year old son. He's in the 97th percentile for height, with a longer torso compared to legs (I've started buying 3T shirts for his torso length, but he only needs 2T pants). He weighs 30 pounds. He's fine right now in his seats (a 33 pound Boulevard and a 35 pound Marathon, plus I have a True Fit). I definitely plan to buy seats for him to use in both of our cars when he outgrows his current seats to continue rear-facing him (age 4 being my RFing goal).

But, for a 97th percentile tall kid with a longish torso, is the My Ride the best choice to rear face beyond 35 pounds? Maybe I should be saving any money or gift cards for a Radian (I dislike the Complete Air). I also feel like it could be months before he gains those last 3-5 pounds, so maybe something else will be on the market by then. Plus, I don't know if I should buy a seat that would be sitting around in the closet for months.

So, should I get the My Ride since it such a great deal that's unlikely to happen again? Save my $ and my gift card for another seat that more practical for my tall guy? What should I do?

ADS

all together ooky

I right there with you. I even drove to Target to try Nora in it. But, I didn't buy it. She's also in the 97th and has a large head (100%) and long torso. I think the Radian will be the next seat, unless something new comes out. It fit her great right now though.

jujumum

Your ds is only 33lbs away from the BV, but like you said, it could be months before he reaches 33lbs. The MR is a lovely seat, and my ds fit in it beautifully. DD would have outgrown it at around 4yrs and 35lbs:

I bought one for the extra side protection in the head area compared to the MA/DC, but ended up returning it since I prefered the rock solid DC fit with tether compared to the more wiggly (at the top) feel of the MR.

If you don't know for sure, and he only rides in one of your two vehicles infrequently, it might make sense to get an MR for one car and a RN for another. Do you know if your car will fit a RN rf?

Last edited:

mom2juliarose

Yes, but only so I can play with it when I see you, and you can play with my Radian. ;) Otherwise, I have no credible opinion at all!:p

Spam

I'm having the same complex as well... A is above the 95th% for everything and has a long torso. We tried one when they first came out, but it rubbed his back the wrong way, but I want to try to another one and see if it's better now, but I wonder how long he'd actually last in it :confused: This is him in July in one.
austisc2009-08-03.jpg

TheNimpsGirl

I just bought one for DS but he's only at the 25% for everything. I'm very happy with how he fits in it and he seems to be very comfortable in it, he didn't even scream when I put him in it to see where he was for harness slots (he's at the second one with a seated height of 18", 11.5" torso) and about six inches or more above his head.

That being said, I don't think this will be his only RFing seat and I didn't buy it with that intention. Instead I feel it's a great seat for him right now and in the next few years but will probably need a RN when he's older (3+?). But for that price if you need a back up seat I think it's a great seat!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Thanks for all the input everyone! I think the My Ride might be good for my husband's car, but I just worry about how long it will last DS, considering I have 3 convertibles that fit him currently. :p I know he'd fit in a MR now, but I think he'd outgrow it RFing by height around 3 years old (like the MA/BV if he hasn't outgrown them by weight), so while it might buy me some time if he hits 35 pounds within the next year, I just worry I might only wind up using this seat for maybe 6 months before needing a taller seat. But it's such a good deal!!! And I do like the My Ride whenever I've played with it at the store. And maybe he'll sprout some legs and surprise me with how long he can fit by height in these seats.

Yes, but only so I can play with it when I see you, and you can play with my Radian. ;) Otherwise, I have no credible opinion at all!:p

:ROTFLMAO:

emandbri

I have one sitting in my garage, I like the radian so much more. More leg room, no buried adjuster, rear-facing tether, and it fits my car better. I would try one before you buy because it just doesn't seem to fit well in some cars.

armywife12

We love our MyRide and the price is great BUT I don't think it would get your lil one rear facing to 4 yrs old. My 26 month old is in the 97%+ for height and will probably outgrow it in height around 3 yrs old. For us, this is great and I am comfortable with turning him at that point. Making it to 3 will be cutting it close though. He is in 3T shirts so it sounds like they may be close in height. Caleb is about 38 inches tall with a torso height just over 14 inches I believe. He is 35lbs so he'll make it close to the max limit of the seat. Since you want to rear face closer to 4 yrs old, I think the Radian would be a much better investment though.

NannyMom

Your just turned 2 year old is the size of my just turned 3 year old. I expect the MR to last my DD to 4, but I doubt it will your DS. Could you see him making it to 4 in the MA if it had a 40 pound limit? Sofi has the same room above her head in the MA and MR.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
You guys are right; I very much doubt he could make it to 4 in the My Ride by height. He wouldn't fit in a big Britax by height until 4 either, so I'll definitely need a Radian (or whatever else is out).

I'm weak, though, and DH picked up the My Ride while he was out yesterday (the kids and I were at home sick). :eek: We had a little more on the gift card than I thought, so we decided to go for it, because we figure with winter clothes, he could be close to the limit of the 33 pound Boulevard within the next couple of months, and we could use the My Ride to tide us over instead of having to buy 2 Radians at once. Plus, it seems like the Radian is only available online at BRU (at least near us), and while I did have the BRU gift card, the BRU online prices and shipping can be beat by other online dealers. I figured it would be better to use the gift card on an in-store purchase. I do have a niece (almost 2 years) and nephew (2 months) to pass seats down to as well, so we decided to go for it. I know it wasn't a good long-term investment, and about 40% of me is kicking myself in the butt for buying it, but the other 60% is excited about the new seat. It's been more than 6 months since I bought I seat, so I blame car seat fever! :eek:

all together ooky

Crack me up! Can't wait to see pics.
I didn't end up buying it and I'm still thinking, "should I have gotten it, should I have gotten it?"
I hope something really cool comes out soon...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC