Preemie and a scenera

cookie123

At work last night another nurse asked me to bottle a baby for her. The baby had a Scenera at the bedside, given to them after taking a car seat class. Baby is 4.5 lbs. I couldn't resist the urge to stick her in there. Really, the harness looked so little sitting there.

So, in she went. Harness about 2 inches above the shoulders and the harness couldn't tighten tight enough. This time I checked for more loops in the back, and there was only the one set.

I can't wait to see what they say in car seat eval. A couple weeks ago they wouldn't let a baby use the insert in a Keyfit, or the foam insert for the Chaperone.

Actually, I sent a baby home in a Keyfit recently. The chin could not get off the chest no matter what. I tried taking the headrest out, and it didn't help at all. Baby's head didn't seem extremely molded or anything. Although the dad said the baby's head was the same in the seat we have to do testing in (they didn't have theirs yet), then he showed me a pic, and the chin was on the chest.

ADS

Shaunam

Why wouldn't a baby be able to use an insert that came WITH the seat? :confused: That's one reason the keyfit is so often recommended is because preemies fit so well with it.

When DD had her car seat test, I brought up the EFTA and the nurses were about having panic attacks. They didn't jump on me or anything, but they thought the seat was too big and "she'd never fit". Hello! She was 11 lbs!!! And they told me I couldn't use rolls beside her, outside of the harness. Uh, whatever. :thumbsdown:

I hope they realize the baby needs something smaller than the scenera.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ilana barely fit in the Scenera at 8#, no way a baby that small would fit. The harness could've been a little tighter on her, but it was as tight as it could go.

swtgi1982

Ilana barely fit in the Scenera at 8#, no way a baby that small would fit. The harness could've been a little tighter on her, but it was as tight as it could go.

Both of my older two fit into the scenera at birth just fine they were 6lb 6oz and 6lbs 7oz. I guess they must have just had long torsos.

We are planning on using this seat for number three from birth in a few weeks too.

If you can check to see if the harness is getting stuck on the underside when tightened. The splitter plate tends to get stuck when it is tightened this tends to happen on mine when used with a smaller child. (I understand the harness is above the shoulders, but just chiming in on the other issue).

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Why couldnt they use the insert for the Chaperone or the Keyfit insert? i have heard of that problem with the Keyfit. Oy. Hope that is not a problem when my sis has her baby!!! Did the insert/foam on the seats make the fit worse for the baby?

cookie123

Don't know if the reason the inserts were nixed is only because they were inserts or what. They do these carseat evals on the day shift twice a week, and I work evenings. I rarely see the car seat folks, let alone find out what went on with individual babies when they had their test. It's frustrating.

The parents of the babies in question are teenagers with limited resources, so who knows what will happen. Today was the car seat test. I hope I find out what happened. I didn't work today, or the rest of the weekend.

3acorns4Christy

I'm confused at the Keyfit insert problem as well. Mostly because I brought home my 4lb 3oz baby in the Keyfit30. Was told through pregnancy THAT was the seat to get because of how tiny she would be, even my Peri. highly recommended the KF30. Everyone was suprised how it cradled her when we had her carseat test.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
This is Ilana at 6 wks and 8#.
carseats089.jpg

carseats093.jpg

sunnymw

in this case, maybe see if they can squeeze out 12.50 for one of the sale comfortsports from target?

LOL yep... except they'd need to put a washrag in the crotch area. DS2 rode in it at 2 weeks old... he was above the bottom slots already, but had 3" between him and the crotch strap :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC