Absolutely no way...right?

MomofFive5

We have an 8 passenger Suburban. The back row is supposed to hold 3 passengers but it currently holds 2 Regents. The second row seat we have a Parkway and then 2 teenagers. We've ran in to the issue of needing to carry one other person from time to time, there is just NO WAY LOL

Am I missing something? We even tried putting my MIL's Nautilus in the back with one of the Regents but still that only gained us 2 or 3 inches....not nearly enough for the Parkway to squeeze in there. Is there a cheap seating configuration we could use when we needed to add another person?

I don't want to go spend gobs on more seats....or I'd try out the Radians. Anyhow....let me know what you think.

ADS

melniemi

Can you put the 2 regents side by side, center and driver's side in the middle row? Then maybe a radian in the center third row. Teens in third row, pw outboard passenger side middle row?

Just a thought.

TheNimpsGirl

How much room if you were to do the regent and parkway? Do they leave enough room in the middle or puzzle with each other and leave enough room on the side? How much room do you have with just a regent in there in the second row (does it install there?) and a GN and parkway in the third row? Just throwing those out there, never played with any of those seats in a Suburban.

MomofFive5

I don't think we have the tether straps in the middle row. It's been 2 years since we got these, so I would have to get out my book again and read but don't the Regents either have to have the tether strap after a certain weight or that bar?

BabyKaykes

What year is the Suburban? My cousin has a 2004 and her center row has LATCH and tethers in the 2nd row driver and middle, and in the 3rd row, passenger.

I would think you'd gain a seat by splitting up the Regents.

MomofFive5

Phhhhewww, I'm tired LOL Those Regents are heavy. Anyhow....I went out and tried them in different configurations and this is what I've come up with. Now I just have to find that latch on the middle seat (ours is a 2003).

1)It will work if I put a Regent on the driver side middle row and the Parkway in the center since we have a shoulder belt there. Then we gain 2 seats in the back and 1 in the middle/fold up outboard.

2)We can also put a Nautilus in the back on one of the sides, the Parkway on the other side where the shoulder belt is and that leaves a lap belt in the center for a teen (small one) and then put the Regent on the drivers side 2nd row.

Again....this is only safe if I can find that other tether....going to look for it now.

Thanks for all the ideas :) They are such huge seats and everyone tells me to just get something else but I just love them and so do the kids.

Be back after finding that tether :) I know the 2nd row has those latch things, but it's in the center and I'm pretty sure my youngest has outgrown the weight for those...not to mention I doubt the Regent would fit in the center and leave much room on either side of it.

melniemi

The lapbelt in the third row center is not safe for anyone to use. It is only good for installing a carseat.

MomofFive5

Okay...we're back to square one LOL We do not have any carseats that I feel safely install with a lap belt. If I sit the Parkway there, no one can get their hand to the buckle with the Regent or Nautilus next to it. Sadly I can't find Tethers anywhere on the 2nd row seat....so that rules out the Regents anywhere on that row :(

Oh well, back to 2 Regents in the back LOL

scoutingbear

What about a RSTV (with top tether...you might have to get it retrofitted) for the middle position as needed? It is no bigger than the bum of the child sitting there. It can be used with lap belt as long as it is tethered; unlike the parkways.

MomofFive5

On another thread I was told that the dealership will not add anchors to a vehicle that came with anchors from the factory.....so not sure how we'd get it retrofitted for another tether?

scoutingbear

Isn't the seating position in question the center of the 3rd row? On the other thread you stated that you do have a tether anchor there. :confused: If that is the case, if a child will fit in that position, would the RSTV work? It can be used with a lap belt if it is top tethered.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I know you said you werent looking to get a bunch of new seats, but i guess I'd ask if the kids in the regents NEED to be in them. They are overkill for 95% of neurotypical kids, who simply do not need that height or weight before being ready for a booster. A few years ago, they were pretty much an "only" choice for hwh, but now, with so many seats that hwh, all of which are smaller, i think, they really are a space waster. Which is fine, if you've got like 2 kids, lol. If the kids in the regents need to be in them because they are essentially being used as special needs seats, then okay. There isn't any better option. If the kids in them are on the smaller side, but just using them because that is what you have (like, ages 3, 4, 5) then I would probably get that child A smaller harnessed seat. If the child in the seat is older and could be boostered(ages 6, 7, 8+) i would get that child their booster. But then again, I loathe the regent, and would always look for a way not to use one whenever possible, lol, so my opinion is biased.

MomofFive5

Okay, figured out the tether anchors....I have one on the center of the 3rd row seat and on all the 2nd row seats. The 3rd row seat center doesn't have anything other than a lap belt though and that never gets the Regent tight. So I think we're going to have to put the Regents in the 2nd row and the Parkway in the back with a lap belt....the 2nd row is a bit wider than the 3rd row seat so maybe 2 Regents will fit side by side and not interfere with the folding seat for another adult/teen.

As far as the reason we use Regents.....we figured they were the safest car seats for our 2 youngest boys, who have some special issues. Again, if they made 10 point harness seats we would have those LOL

The Regents are a bit bulky though, and we've often considered getting something different.....neither of them are ready for a shoulder belt car seat yet though.

zactayaus

Sadly I can't find Tethers anywhere on the 2nd row seat....so that rules out the Regents anywhere on that row :(

If by 2nd row you mean the middle row (not the 3rd/last row) you have tethers for all three seating positions. They are located on the back of each seat near the floor.:)

TerisBoys

So I think we're going to have to put the Regents in the 2nd row and the Parkway in the back with a lap belt....the 2nd row is a bit wider than the 3rd row seat so maybe 2 Regents will fit side by side and not interfere with the folding seat for another adult/teen.

The Parkway cannot be used with a lap-only belt. If the child that normally used the Parkway fits in the Nautilus, that would be an option. Otherwise this is not a workable solution (Parkway center back).

Like the others said - a Ride Safer Travel Vest would work in that position provided the child using it has adequate head support.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, figured out the tether anchors....I have one on the center of the 3rd row seat and on all the 2nd row seats. The 3rd row seat center doesn't have anything other than a lap belt though and that never gets the Regent tight. So I think we're going to have to put the Regents in the 2nd row and the Parkway in the back with a lap belt....the 2nd row is a bit wider than the 3rd row seat so maybe 2 Regents will fit side by side and not interfere with the folding seat for another adult/teen.

As far as the reason we use Regents.....we figured they were the safest car seats for our 2 youngest boys, who have some special issues. Again, if they made 10 point harness seats we would have those LOL

The Regents are a bit bulky though, and we've often considered getting something different.....neither of them are ready for a shoulder belt car seat yet though.

Okay, you can't use the parkway with a lap only belt. You can't use any belt positioning booster with a lap only, they need a lap shoulder belt. Like was asked, how old are the children in the regents, and what slots are they in on the regents? Other seats may be available. Who else are in the vehicle? and their weights and heights and ages, etc?

MomofFive5

The Parkway cannot be used with a lap-only belt. If the child that normally used the Parkway fits in the Nautilus, that would be an option. Otherwise this is not a workable solution (Parkway center back).

Like the others said - a Ride Safer Travel Vest would work in that position provided the child using it has adequate head support.

Typing duh on my part LOL I meant to say that she would be in a shoulder belt with the Parkway and my teen would have a shoulder belt too....that way everyone is in a shoulder belt. :)

MomofFive5

It won't gain us a seat in the back this way....as that lap belt is useless but still, the only way things can safely be put back in with TAs.

We have 2 shoulder belts in the 3rd row seat, and all 3 seats in the center have those.

When I typed that I was focusing on saying that we couldn't use it with the Regents....it's not a solid install that way for us. We can't use it on the Parkway of course though since it's not that type of booster.

MomofFive5

Okay, you can't use the parkway with a lap only belt. You can't use any belt positioning booster with a lap only, they need a lap shoulder belt. Like was asked, how old are the children in the regents, and what slots are they in on the regents? Other seats may be available. Who else are in the vehicle? and their weights and heights and ages, etc?

I have 2 boys in the Regents, one is 5 years old and 35 pounds and the other is 6 and 48 pounds. One is in the 2nd slot and one is in the 3rd for the Regents. I also have a 6 year old daughter in a Parkway who weights 55 pounds. I have two teenagers, myself and my husband in the Suburban. So while it is supposed to fit 8...it fits 7 LOL since we have 2 Regents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC