In need of new car... need suggestions

Cryssy Jane

So I have a 2006 subaru impreza wrx, yes it's a great car, but I need more space. I currently have 2 medium (60lb dogs) that I have to take all carseats out and put a sheet over the seat to take anywhere in my car. This becomes a hassle.

I run a small in home daycare and have anywhere from 1-4 kiddos depending on the day (note all kiddos are under age 3.5).

I WILL NOT purchase a mini van or a station wagon... I mean I'm only 23 I still need a fun car. Safety ratings of course always a plus, and I really don't want to give up AWD, so I'm thinking maybe mid-size SUV or crossover. Any ideas?

note: grandpa does have a mini van that we use on occasion, however it's become a huge deal just to borrow it for an hour that it's no longer worth the hassle.

edit: I think I'm leaning towards a 2010 ford explorer, although I'd like something with better gas mileage.
ETA: Also looking into the subaru forester sport edition. Basically the same engine as my impreza but it's a little boxier and has a hatch back for the dogs. No 3rd row however, and a funky 3 point belt in the center seat in the back row.

Last edited:
ADS

SavsMom

What about a Dodge Journey with the optional 3rd row.
They look sporty, have plenty of room, and you can get a pretty good deal on one.
My fiance works at a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealer and I got to drive one and was really impressed. With the discounts and rebates you can get one for a decent price.

kathysr98

I would look at a Ford Freestyle/Taurus X or Flex. I like the prices on the Freestyle/Taurus X, but I prefer the style of the Flex. The interiors are pretty similar. They all come in 6 or 7 passenger versions. They get good gas mileage, and the safety ratings on the Taurus X are awesome. I haven't looked at ratings on the Flex yet, but being a newer design, I'd guess they'll be good.

Cryssy Jane

What about a Dodge Journey with the optional 3rd row.
They look sporty, have plenty of room, and you can get a pretty good deal on one.
My fiance works at a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealer and I got to drive one and was really impressed. With the discounts and rebates you can get one for a decent price.

I'll check this out, but it looks A LOT like a mini van to me :(

Cryssy Jane

I would look at a Ford Freestyle/Taurus X or Flex. I like the prices on the Freestyle/Taurus X, but I prefer the style of the Flex. The interiors are pretty similar. They all come in 6 or 7 passenger versions. They get good gas mileage, and the safety ratings on the Taurus X are awesome. I haven't looked at ratings on the Flex yet, but being a newer design, I'd guess they'll be good.

I'm not really feeling either of these, however that may change once I see one IRL. The taurus X looks kinda like a station wagon. The flex just looks like a box on wheels to me :whistle:

BudgieStew

I'm not really feeling either of these, however that may change once I see one IRL. The taurus X looks kinda like a station wagon. The flex just looks like a box on wheels to me :whistle:

The Flex does look well, different. Think of it as a giant Mini. I told DH that it was ugly and I would never drive one, but once I checked the inside of a few out at the dealership I fell in love. The look grew on me. We have a 09 Limited AWD fully loaded and it is awesome. Including some IRL pictures because the stock pictures online are kinda funky...dark lighting, etc.

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

I am laughing b/c I am only 24 & dream of owning a mini van. I just think it would be awsome to be able to not have to worry if the next baby is one or two. Also not to worry about 3 accross if we have twins next time.

As for options. What about a Ford Expedition with a 3rd row option. Or a Chevrolet Tahoe with the 3rd row option.

firemomof3

I would also suggest the Pilot. Its got a great 2nd row and a very good size 3rd row :thumbsup: It will be more expensive than an Explorer but it is safer, bigger & will be more reliable.

Cryssy Jane

I love my Pilot, and the 2009 has LATCH in four seating positions and TA's for all six rear seats.

This sounds awesome, although the only pilots in my area are only 2 wheel drive, and I require all wheel or will settle for 4 wheel drive. I just have this secret issue with honda for some reason anyways. :eek:

Cryssy Jane

I am laughing b/c I am only 24 & dream of owning a mini van. I just think it would be awsome to be able to not have to worry if the next baby is one or two. Also not to worry about 3 accross if we have twins next time.

As for options. What about a Ford Expedition with a 3rd row option. Or a Chevrolet Tahoe with the 3rd row option.

The expedition is HUGE! I don't even think that would fit in my driveway (pops' minivan barely fits). The tahoe is 55, 000 plus, way too far out of my price range.

If I had children of my own I'm sure it would be a difference situation, but as it is I'm 23 with no kids of my own, I just have them during the day, so I don't want to get locked into a 'soccer mom (no offense)' car when I don't have kids 24/7

BananaBoat

I looked at this the other day actually. The problem is if you put the optional third row up, then there's not even enough room to put a stroller between the back of the third row seats and the hatch.

Hmmm - that's annoying. I'm a Subaru junky, so I'm not that familiar with other AWD vehicles. :eek:

As for the Pilot, my cousin has one which I've driven & I think that thing is huge. Then again, I drive a Forester...but somehow the Tribeca isn't so gigantic to me. I'm curious to know what you end up getting since we will need to size up in a year or 2 and :love: Subies.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Mazda 5?

Plenty of room for the dogs with the 3rd row folded down, seats four in the back with top tethers in all seating positions. Great gas mileage, nice price.

And it only looks like a minivan because of the sliding doors, but trust me, IRL no one calls it a minivan. It's too short! :D

Cryssy Jane

Mazda 5?

Plenty of room for the dogs with the 3rd row folded down, seats four in the back with top tethers in all seating positions. Great gas mileage, nice price.

And it only looks like a minivan because of the sliding doors, but trust me, IRL no one calls it a minivan. It's too short! :D

This is the version that replaced the mpv... not a fan. I hate the mpv that we have.

I just need to customize my own car, because I don't think I'll find anything on the market that I'll fall in love with.

cookie123

Maybe you should decrease your daycare to 3! I've been looking at the Santa Fe. The newer model has an optional 3rd row. I figure I don't have the kids that much, so they can suffer back there when needed. The older 2 are both in boosters now when they're with me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC