No MA courses?

NannyMom

I have a nanny friend in MA that wants to become a tech. I just looked online, and it said there were no courses in MA. Does anyone know differently?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I hope someone has more info for you, but Massachusetts also has its own website for CPS classes, and it says, "The fall/winter CPS schedule is still pending. Please check back at a later date for updates." That's been up for at least a couple of weeks, so maybe there will be info released soon.

Is she near RI at all? There's going to be a class in Providence in March/April 2010.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, they're national certifications, so if she's near the NY, VT, NH, CT, or RI borders (and who isn't in MA?) then she can just pop over and take one in a different state, so check out those five, as well as Maine if she's up that way.

Wendy

NannyMom

Thanks. I think she's in or very close to Boston. Not sure what other states that puts her close to. But I passed the info along and she'll know what she's near :)

I know she wanted to get it done soon (not spring) because she's currently between jobs and thought it'd be great to add to a resume (that's not her only reason though).

mykidsmylife

I was just looking at this last night. I want to get certified around Christmas and was hoping there would be a course. The tech here has lost all my respect, but they are not offering courses here.

So THANKS for the link

NannyMom

So she contacted someone that put her on a waiting list and will contact her when a course is available. He also said she needed to be affiliated with 2 places that will install carseats (ex- police dept, fire dept, etc). In MD I don't have to be affiliated with anything (other than SK obviously), is it different in MA?

Jonah Baby

So she contacted someone that put her on a waiting list and will contact her when a course is available. He also said she needed to be affiliated with 2 places that will install carseats (ex- police dept, fire dept, etc). In MD I don't have to be affiliated with anything (other than SK obviously), is it different in MA?

Must just be the Boston-jerks who sit in nice swivel office chairs with Starbucks coffee all day with their feet up and try to dictate the WORST way for everyone to do everything, including new data merge systems that never work correctly and who try to deny you health insurance if you are Caucasian...no, I have never heard that before. I think they made it up.

If she's near Boston than she is close to Rhode Island or Maine.
I believe you can search for classes on SafeKids website. They site will at least tell you/her which department she can call to get the info. I went on once and found, to my surprise, a SafeKids location 20 minutes from me.
Try asking our Tech Maedze.

NannyMom

She did search surrounding states, and they had no classes. The only states with classes were more than an hour from her and after her knee surgery, she's not ready to drive that far everyday (btw- does anyone think that should keep her from doing the course?).

If Maedze doesn't see this before I get home (cant pm from here), I'll pm here.

pastrygirl

Ugh, that is so annoying. When I took the course, the instructor just wanted to make sure that I was going to do something with the certification. I didn't have to affiliate myself with anything! A new crew runs it now, so they might've changed the rules.

I know of one ongoing fitting station that runs every Wednesday in Boston, if she wants that info. I used to go to one they ran once a month on Saturdays, but they just cancelled that one. There's supposed to be one near me in Worcester, but apparently you have to be a hospital employee to help out there. (Grrrr...) I haven't found any other places to volunteer. The Framingham police dept has a regular check, I think. I don't know if they accept non-police volunteers.

Pixels

As a rather newly-certified (March, I think) tech in MA, no, you do not have to be affiliated with anyone in order to get certified. Mass has a grant or something, and they will pay the SK fee for you to take the class the first time, as well. :thumbsup:

Have her send an email to cps@fisher.edu, with a subject line "CPS - LastName - Tech course" They get hundreds of emails a day so they want the subject line just so, in order for them to handle it better. Kym Craven is the state coordinator, and she is the one who usually responds to that email address.

NannyMom

As a rather newly-certified (March, I think) tech in MA, no, you do not have to be affiliated with anyone in order to get certified. Mass has a grant or something, and they will pay the SK fee for you to take the class the first time, as well. :thumbsup:

Have her send an email to cps@fisher.edu, with a subject line "CPS - LastName - Tech course" They get hundreds of emails a day so they want the subject line just so, in order for them to handle it better. Kym Craven is the state coordinator, and she is the one who usually responds to that email address.

Thanks, I just passed that info to her. No fee would be great since she's unemployed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC