ADAC Test Results: Multitech, Besafe, Monterey

joyride

http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Kindersic...t.asp?ComponentID=254397&SourcePageID=130822#

Monterey: Result good (2), Negative: Belt routing bad
HTS BESAFE iZi Kid X1 (ERF): Result good (2), Negative: Hard to harness child, limited view out of car for child
Multi-Tech: Result sufficient (4), Negative: High loads at front crash (I bet they tested ist FF), high probability of misusage
Britax Fixway (ERF): Result satisfying (3), Negative: average loads in side crash, limited view out of car for child, hard to harness child

Joy

ADS

Morganthe

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Chicco Key 2-3 is the same as the Strada that should be out here soon, it seemed pretty good, too.

I'm loving that Cybex, though. :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

Watch the video, the danger from the side. They did test the multitech ff. They also did front seat airbag tests with and infant seat and a booster.

joyride

I wonder why they said "Belt routing bad" for the monterey? Very odd.
Also seen at the Video, I think with the 15kg Dummy, the Monterey is much to wide for the Dummy.

Screenshot Video ADAC Germany.

Attachments

• video.jpg
    video.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 26

Jennifer mom to my 7

Wow! I had missed that! But I did notice that the monterey was quite wide for that dummy. Do we have the top shoulder height of the cybex booster?

emandbri

in case others are curious 15 kilograms is equal to 33 pounds. So in the weight limits that sunshine kids put on it, just not the weight limits we would choose. :whistle:

Wow, that combi video is scary, I guess it is a bad idea to put 33 lbs kids in backless boosters. :whistle:

The dummy also seemed to come out the bottom of the recaro in the forward facing crash test. I would like to see how it does with a 6 year old dummy instead of the 3 year old one.

Last edited:

joyride

Thanks Lena for the Link!

In the Multi-Tech Video from above, you can clearly see that the adjuster strap has gone after the crash. So it has loosen during the impact. Scary :eek:

Joy

Adventuredad

I will need to look at this some more and talk to some people to find out more. Multi Tech is rarely used FF with harness since it only goes to 18 kg. In Sweden it's never used with harness since harnessing older kids is not any safer than high back booster (unless special needs).

Multi Tech does a pretty good job FF (and a great job RF of course), belt routing works well which is a problem with many combo seats. The issue with combi seats is weight. A dedicated booster seats is far lighter which means forces are lower for a child since seat is installed with seat belt.

- Cybex is a nice HBB, we just got it in this week. It's similar to Britax Kid Plus which is the most sold HBB in Sweden.

- Britax Fixway is safe but not a big seller. It needs both support leg and tether straps despite being Isofix

- Izikid Isofix. Nice but very expensive Isofix seat which now is the first seat to pass the new Swedish "Plus Test". The new Plus Test is a little bit like the old "T-Standard". This new standard measure forces in the neck which means anything but a good rear facing seat will not pass. It's a nice initiative from the Swedes IMHO. ECE R44 is a bit stricter than the US FVMSS 213 but there are still many seats in Europe which are approved and are not suited for young children since they are FF.

Even though it's almost impossible to find a FF seats for a small child in Sweden the new plus test makes it far easier to choose a seat for parents who don't know anything about car seat safety.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think you mean "combo" seat. :) Short for combination-- Combi is a company that manufactures seats and strollers and such, wouldn't want any confusion. :)

joyride

- Forget about Britax Fixway, it's an extremely rare seat and not recommended. It's safe but too clumsy. It's being discontinued by Britax who have not put emphasis on this seat for years.
The Fixway was introduced this summer as Volvo 0/1 Seat (and also the Multi-Tech as Volvo 1/2 Seat) as one of rare ERF seats available in Germany.
Thats why ADAC tested the two this year.
Joy

emandbri

I was checking out the monterey video again and trying to figure out if it was latched. I can't tell in the video but the seat does not seem to move out of the seat bight at all. With the latch not getting all the way tight it seems it would move out a little, very odd. The seat belt does not ride up on the dummy though.

The recaro start does move quite a bit from seat bight and the dummy does go under the lap belt. So it isn't as cut and dry as "latched boosters make dummys go under the lap belt."

I think there needs to be more testing on the effects of latching a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC