Kira got out of her seat today!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Eva & Nadia had art class this morning, so I drove them across town and dropped them off. About halfway home, I hear Kira's voice. "That's strange," I think to myself, "It sounds like her voice is coming from the opposite side of the car, but that's impossible, because she's strapped in right behind me."

Then she said, "Momma. No seat."

My heart skipped a beat. I turned around, and there she is, crouching in Eva's booster. I braked hard, out of reflex, and she fell off the Parkway and bumped her head and landed on her face on the floor of the Ody, apparently not hard, because she didn't cry or anything. I pulled into the first driveway I passed, and she started apologizing, "Sorry, Momma," which is weird, because she's not even two, and I hadn't even said anything to her at that point, I don't think.

I picked her up off the floor and told her how scared I was, and she almost cried a couple of times while I was talking to her and hugging her, and ACK, MY BABY GOT OUT OF HER SEAT WHILE THE CAR WAS MOVING! None of my other kids every did that. Nadia went through a phase where she would take her arms out of the straps, but she was much older, and she never actually got out of her seat and climbed around!

When I went to put her back in her seat, the straps were still buckled. She had to have pulled her arms out, then wiggled the rest of herself free. They were snug enough to pass a seat check, but I tightened them even more. She didn't do it again today. Here's hoping it was a one time fluke, because ACK!!! :eek:

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Scary! DS liked doing that, with the seat belt, when he was like, 5. When I would slam on the brakes, and he went rolling to the front of the van, he found it quite funny. He still talks about it.

a_js

Aaaah!

DS did that to me a couple of times. I know the feeling--instant heart attack! So sorry.

crunchierthanthou

ack! When I first read your title I thought I had your dd's names confused for a second.

I can see dd doing that. she's a wiggler and a climber. She's also found the push down buckle release on the Coccoro and plays with it. I'm predicting she'll have it mastered by 18 months. :rolleyes:

menfusse

Yikes! Neither of my kids did that. They were both a little panicy at the thought of the car moving while not buckled. My youngest more so than my oldest. In fact, she has down right shaking anxiety about being in the car and not in her seat-even a parked car. Diaper changes in the car are a nightmare. She FREAKS!

I swear that despite my bit of a zealous car seat safety attitude, I've never told my children the gorey what if's of not being buckled and what might happen. I have no idea why they are like they are.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Holy crow! I hope your reaction left an impression on her. She must've felt so Big and Smart working so hard to get herself out.

ceruti82

scary to think about!

i think my almost 2 yr old DD won't be interested in getting out (knock on wood) because one time, i buckled her in and one of the buckles didnt CLICK fully, and i guess i didnt notice (bad mommy:doh:) so when i got around to my seat, I hear her say "mommy, my carseat broken" i went around and sure enough the buckle had popped out! yikes! glad she is keeping an eye on things :love:! though it did teach me to always do a little tug to be sure they are in correctly :)

keri1292

If it happens again, maybe a seat change would help. My petite ones could wiggle out of the MA if they wanted, but the Radian is way too snug in the neck.

Poor Mama. :(

UlrikeDG

Yikes! Neither of my kids did that. They were both a little panicy at the thought of the car moving while not buckled. My youngest more so than my oldest. In fact, she has down right shaking anxiety about being in the car and not in her seat-even a parked car.

That sounds like Roman back in the day. I remember one time we were out somewhere with Hubby and ran into a friend of his. We were standing in the parking lot talking, and it started to drizzle, so I got into the car with Roman and turned it on to warm up. Roman had a COW. I hadn't buckled him in, because we weren't going anywhere yet.

Holy crow! I hope your reaction left an impression on her. She must've felt so Big and Smart working so hard to get herself out.

She actually seemed a bit lost. I think she wanted to sit in the booster, and when she turned around and saw the world moving out the front window, she became unsure.

Today, every time I mention the car/carseats, she says, "I fell!"

If it happens again, maybe a seat change would help.

She's at the height limit for the RA rear facing anyway, so a seat change is in her future whether she gets out again or not.

Kat_Momof3

I know how scary that is... my boys were like your older ones... never pulled anything like that, but RUthie was another story... a total houdini... and I saw how she did it after the first time... she would stick her arm out, bend her elbow so her hand was touching her shoulder, slide her arm through the strap, then pull the other arm out, then push with her hands on the sides of the seat while she pulled her legs up and out...

A lot of consistent discipline fixed it... but it was a horrible time I wouldn't wish on anyone.

But also a lot of positive reinforcement was key... praising her when she stayed in her seat... and I found that stickers or even just drawing on her hands or using temporary tatoos worked wonders.

simplychels

oh man the shakes i'd be feeling if that were me

thankfully my DD freaks out if i even start the car before shes buckled.

UlrikeDG

Apparently, it made an impression on her. She randomly comes up to Hubby or me and says, "Carseat. I fell."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC