I'm completely crazy but...a seat for my nephew?

abbi_n_nadia

Dh is really going to think I've gone bananas now but heres the thing...

We traded refrigerators with my brother and SIL and now the one we gave them has quit working! And the one they gave us is still working great. So I feel bad and feel like we owe them. They are having to spend $300 on a used refrigerator now.

My nephew is still riding in the carseat they got him after he outgrew his infant seat, I think it might be either a cosco scenera or a high back booster or something else similar but either way I'm sure it has a 40lb weight limit! I thought I remembered them saying its a graco so maybe its a comfortsport? I don't know... My nephew turned 3 in June and he is well over 40lbs! He is a big boy! I don't know his height though. I would guess around 40in.

They have been talking about getting him a booster. :thumbsdown: I KNOW he is not ready for a booster! He still sleeps in the car and he would probably never leave the belt where its supposed to be plus I really doubt my SIL would even try very hard to put it on him right.

So anyways I'm thinking about getting him a new seat! He desperately needs it! I was thinking a Nautilus but are they easy to install? They have to move his seat from car to car pretty often and I think they just quickly thread the seatbelt through and call it good. :( She had to install it one day while we were there and it took her maybe 30 seconds so I really doubt that she tightened it down at all. Seriously it took me longer to strap Nadia in than it took her to install their seat AND strap him in. SO they need something super easy and fast to get a good install!

We have a Regent that is just sitting here but they would never be able to figure out how to install it and SIL has an older car that dosn't have tether anchors so I don't think the Regent would work for them. Plus it is not easy to move. We have a TF and it is pretty easy to install FFing with the seatbelt.

So what should I get?

Nautilus or TF or something else? We don't have a whole lot to spend so I'm thinking I will watch for one on swap.

Also should I talk to her about it or just get one and say merry christmas!? :p

ADS

dhardawa

My guess is they won't want to buy a booster when the time comes so I'd get the Nautilus so he is good to go permanently.

abbi_n_nadia

Thank you for the suggestions! I was thinking the Nautilus would probably be best but I've never had one or installed one or anything so didn't know how easy they are to install. I will look at getting one of those then! :)

babyherder

But if he's not ready for a booster you might not want to mention that the Nauti converts to a booster. They might be ready to change it over right now, especially to make it easier to move from car to car.

abbi_n_nadia

Yeah I'm worried about that too cause I can't really give them a seat as a gift and then tell them what to do with it...and I'm afraid they would just think 'oh cool thanks for the booster, thats what we wanted!' Not really what I'm goin for! lol

Ah what to do what to do....

Mommy2Marcus

What about a Generations 65?? That harnesses to 65lbs & is only around $100. So that would be another option unless he is really tall to.

abbi_n_nadia

Hmm...dosn't look too bad I guess. Is it easy to install? I wonder if they have it at our BRU...I will have to investigate!

Joyofbirth

I would get her a Nauti. Super easy to install. And I could install one in 30 seconds. It's much easier than the TF. Maybe you could not mention the booster thing and ask them if they'll let you know when they're ready to move him to a booster and you'll swap them the GN for a Brand New Turbobooster, so you can used the harness for your dd. If you're very worried about them using it as a booster too soon, go with the TF. I would just get it for him and say Merry Christmas. You could say you wanted to help because you knew they just put out all the money for a new fridge and figured they couldn't shell out more money for a new seat.

romanoma

But if he sleeps in the car a lot, the GN still may not be great. Lots of kids have major head slump in it. Do they go long distances often?

TF is good for preventing head slump, but harder to install.

graco myride is also good for preventing head slump, it is graco so a brand they know, it has cool cupholders that an older child would like. Only problem is shorter top slots.

I guess I would ask how often/much does he sleep? If it's not often, then I too say get the nauti. Another perk to this seat is it is sooooooo easy to tighten, very easy to be sure the harness is tight enough.

Kat_Momof3

I'd go with the Nauti... it's SUPER simple and easy to install... and it does convert to a booster down the line.

they probably just didn't KNOW that there was a seat that would fit him... and with buying a fridge, money might be tight... and I agree... buying them a seat would compensate for half the cost of the new fridge, making it a fair deal for both of you.

I'd get them the Nautilus... and they'll see the limits if they read the manual or the sides of the seat... just tell them that it's designed to keep kids in the upper percentiles to age 5 (which it stresses on the box, the website, etc.) because kids should be in a harness till at least 5 (which is true).

I'd also take the opportunity to teach them how to lock the seatbelt (if their car belts don't lock at the retractor) and the simple trick of putting a knee in the seat.

I can install a Nauti in 30 seconds (45 with tether, which I always do, but don't count that as "install") and uninstall it in less... definitely an easy seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC