Odyssey club webpage?

Aaron'smommy

This isn't a car seat question but I can't remember did I see somewhere on here that there is an Odyssey fan club website? I really, really have an important question and wanted to ask some experienced Odyssey owners. I can't lock my Odyssey when one of the doors is open- which is SOOOOO unsafe. I need to be able to lock my car when I have the back hatch open and I can't! I'm wondering if any fan club people can answer whether or not I can change that.

Thanks! Wendy

ADS

southpawboston

This isn't a car seat question but I can't remember did I see somewhere on here that there is an Odyssey fan club website? I really, really have an important question and wanted to ask some experienced Odyssey owners. I can't lock my Odyssey when one of the doors is open- which is SOOOOO unsafe. I need to be able to lock my car when I have the back hatch open and I can't! I'm wondering if any fan club people can answer whether or not I can change that.

Thanks! Wendy

that's actually an electronic design feature built into all hondas. i can't stand it. my MIL has a civic and a CRV, and they both do that. i don't know why honda designed their locking system that way, since every other car i've owned has allowed me to lock the car with the remote while a door is open. i wouldn't go so far as to call it unsafe, but honda must have some logic behind their decision to design their cars that way.

there *may* be an electrical hack that someone has devised to fool the car's computer into locking with a door open (i was an automotive installer and did those sorts of things but that was long ago and i don't know how honda's system works). maybe someone on the ody club has devised a hack or workaround. i doubt it, but that would be the place to ask!

in addition to the electronic design, honda puts a mechanical restriction on the driver's door as well. the lock switch refuses to move down (to the lock position) when the driver's door is open. this feature dates back decades and was designed to prevent locking the key in the car.

Aaron'smommy

that's actually an electronic design feature built into all hondas. i can't stand it. my MIL has a civic and a CRV, and they both do that. i don't know why honda designed their locking system that way, since every other car i've owned has allowed me to lock the car with the remote while a door is open. i wouldn't go so far as to call it unsafe, but honda must have some logic behind their decision to design their cars that way.

there *may* be an electrical hack that someone has devised to fool the car's computer into locking with a door open (i was an automotive installer and did those sorts of things but that was long ago and i don't know how honda's system works). maybe someone on the ody club has devised a hack or workaround. i doubt it, but that would be the place to ask!

in addition to the electronic design, honda puts a mechanical restriction on the driver's door as well. the lock switch refuses to move down (to the lock position) when the driver's door is open. this feature dates back decades and was designed to prevent locking the key in the car.

Crap, I really, really can't stand this! I am very uncomfortable having my son in the car and having the doors not lock while I'm loading groceries or something. Granted, I know someone couldn't get him out of his car seat in time, but heck, who's to say the couldn't just randomly get into my car and not get out? That's a shame. Not to mention that if it's raining and the electric door is closing and you are trying to hurry inside, you have to wait around until the door is shut because you might be out of range by the time the door is officially closed. Oh well... you spend $30k, what do you expect???

My mom had a honda in 1988 and has had one ever since. I know you used to be able to hold the inside door handle and push the driver's lock down, but I haven't tried it in my odyssey.

southpawboston

well, there may be a solution, albeit an inconvenient one. i assume you're referring to the remote, right? since you already know about the driver's lock button, you know that you have to get out and shut the driver's door before it will lock. but THEN, you can walk around, open the hatch, then open the passenger's door and use the central locking switch to lock the doors. i *think* that will work. the ody does have a central locking switch on both front doors, right?

Aaron'smommy

well, there may be a solution, albeit an inconvenient one. i assume you're referring to the remote, right? since you already know about the driver's lock button, you know that you have to get out and shut the driver's door before it will lock. but THEN, you can walk around, open the hatch, then open the passenger's door and use the central locking switch to lock the doors. i *think* that will work. the ody does have a central locking switch on both front doors, right?

Wow, thanks for the idea, I'll try that! Cool- everyone here is so nice! Thanks

granolamama

I have an '05 Odyssey, so this may not be the same as yours, but:
Even though I can't lock the doors using the remote when a door is still open, I can lock them using the switch on the door handle of the driver's or front passenger's seats. I just have to be very careful that I have my keys in hand before I do this, so I don't lock myself out. :rolleyes:

Jacques

I believe Honda designed their locks in that way because to avoid accidentally locking your keys in the car. However, my wife still managed to do that when she locked the car, opened the trunk with the key (not using the remote fobber), and locked the keys in the trunk. :rolleyes:

In any case, the suggestion by southpawboston on the central locking switch should work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC