"It is stupid but isn't against the law"....

emandbri

That is the response I got when I called highway patrol about a baby in an infant seat in the front seat if a new Lexus. UGGG

I followed them for a while but then got a phone call that I had to pick up the boys from school.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The good thing is, a new Lexus will have advanced air bags and will have the air bag shut off when the infant seat is there. Not saying it's the spot of choice for an infant seat as there is potential for the air bag to deploy in error (and the big warnings in the vehicle and in the vehicle manual say this!), but assuming the air bag acts as intended in an accident, that baby shouldn't get its block knocked off in an accident.

Your state doesn't have a proper use clause or a "no kids under <age> rule? We don't have either of those here either, so I'm sure I'd get the same response from the RCMP as there wouldn't be anything they could give a ticket for.

sunnymw

Heck, even that response would be a step up here. I see police officers w/ their kiddos in the front all the time...

TiaxMarie

That would scare me. Even though the airbags are probably weight sensored, who knows if that will actually hold true when the forces of a crash come into play. I'm not sure what our police would say about that. Never had to call.

menfusse

Lordy...there is a huge warning sticker on each of my visors, a few pages devoted to it in the manual and probably somewhere else that says something to the effect of "Even with advanced air bags, the possibility of deployment still exists and a rear facing seat should never be placed in front of an airbag." That's not word for word of course, but that's what it means to say.

Our cops around here would probably not do much of anything, if at all. In fact, every day after school there is a cop directing traffic and every day there are the same people, different families in different cars with toddlers sitting up front, in either just a seat belt or nothing at all. One particular seats 4 people, a 3 ish year old and a first grader, the dad and the mom all in an older model Ford Ranger pick up, basic cab. They pass by the cop every day. He's never once stopped them or even picked up the radio to let another cop on the road know.

Mom2FiveGirls

Some police officers are clueless. I had one tell a friend of mine that her son (2.5 years old) was too big to be rear facing and she needed to turn him around so he didn't break his legs in a crash. Thankfully she knew better, but still!

Heather86

Lovely....sounds like the cops around here. Well let's hope for the baby's sake that those advanced air bags are really as advanced as they say they are. How do you flip the visor and see that and still install a seat there...I wonder if she even locked the seat belt :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC