Another encounter in the car seat aisle

Tara

Today, at Target.

The family was out, dh had a service call come in, so he drops us off at Target to browse while he takes care of that, as it's just down the road from where we were.

Of course, that means I browse the car seat aisle. While standing there a couple with an adorable little girl are mulling over boosters. I hear them talking back and forth..do we want just one of these, or one with the back?

I say nothing. Dealing with my children for a moment. Then SHE comes to ME and asks for input :)

"What seat do you use for a little bit older child, the ones with the back or not?"
I ask "How old is the child? And weight?"
She points to her daughter, 4 yr and 41lb.
"Oh, she can still be harnessed in a 65# limit seat"
"Oh really?"
And I point down to the Marathon and mention it goes to 65#. They were down there before and I heard them say that's what they have...but what to do now?
So then she's like "Oh, ok, great! Thanks!" Then looks at her daughter and says "Looks like you're staying in your car seat" Daughter says in a semi-whiney voice "I don't want to be in a car seat, I want a booster" Mom says, "Maybe next year"

I had also told her that my 5.5 yr old was still in the MA and that all of my kids were in seats, my 9 yr old in a booster, which isn't so common. Anywho, the mentioning my 5 yr old being in there and saying most kids can make it to 4 or 5 in the MA, is what led her to tell her dd "maybe next year"

So...I think I just aided in a 4 yr old staying in a harness :D

And I told her after that the Graco TurboBooster was an ok booster (that's what was available at that Target) and mentioned the Parkway as well which has even more side impact protection than the TB.
Very receptive.

She and her husband both had the "Oh wow, really?" kind of look on their face when I said their dd could still be harnessed. Then thanked me for the help.

So, as long as they really had the Marathon, they're good to go. I didn't confirm that :eek: But they were down there looking at those and I did SAY Marathon, repeatedly. So, hopefully they DO have the MA and not the RA ;)

Ok, end of car seat story for today. ;)

ADS

lovinwaves

OH what a great story! That's funny that they asked you for help. We should all wear badges or stickers on us that say "ASK ME FOR CARSEAT HELP!" LOL :D

Yeah, let's hope they have the MA, DC, OR BV and not the Roundabout ;)

mominabigtruck

I wonder how someone can spend $250 on a carseat and not know how high it harness to. Like if I wasn't concerned if my kids were in a higher harnessing seat I would be spending that much on a seat. Does that make any sense?

drey

I wonder how someone can spend $250 on a carseat and not know how high it harness to. Like if I wasn't concerned if my kids were in a higher harnessing seat I would be spending that much on a seat. Does that make any sense?

Except, if they have a 4yo + a Marathon, they might not have paid $250 for it. I only paid $175 for mine, in 2003.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Excellent!!!! That is so cool.

I have to admit, right now if I got a job I'd want to work in the car seat aisle at BRU. I'd wear proudly a badge that said CPST and my shirt and have my SafeKids card laminated and wear that as a badge too. LOL I definitely think that we should have CPS Advocate or more written on our butts in the stores. hehe Maybe I should wear my CPST shirt in.

Wendy

Mumoflittleguys

I have to admit, right now if I got a job I'd want to work in the car seat aisle at BRU. I'd wear proudly a badge that said CPST and my shirt and have my SafeKids card laminated and wear that as a badge too. LOL I definitely think that we should have CPS Advocate or more written on our butts in the stores. hehe Maybe I should wear my CPST shirt in.
Wendy

Point #1--DH will no longer let me in the car seat aisle at Target, and nearly had to drag me from the same aisle at BRU.

Point #2--The reason the above near-dragging was necessary is because I heard the BRU associate talking up the Evenflo Embrace, and I couldn't stand it any longer. :: paranoid glance::

To DH's credit, however, he did point out to the unsuspecting parent that two years ago, he'd have called you daft if you spent $160 on a stroller. I saved up and bought a Maclaren Quest on my own, and now he won't stop talking about how much he loves my stroller. He followed that up with he now feels the same way about car seats.

mominabigtruck

My dh is the same way, he won't let me anywhere near the baby aisle in any store. Even if I'm not in the market for a new seat I like to be informed about what's out there so I can help other people make informed purchases. Besides you never know when a seat might accidentally fall into my car and make its way up to the check out.:D

southpawboston

you know what? to be honest, i didn't really take too much note of the difference between 40lb and 65lb harness rating when i was researching car seats. that was of course before i found this forum ;). to me, 40lbs seemed so far away in the future for my DD1 that i didn't even factor in the difference between 40lbs adn 65lbs in my purchase decision, figuring i'd worry about it once she got to 40lbs. that's why i got the $250 recaro with only a 40lb harness rating. it had everything else i wanted (FF only, so no bulky base, narrow, can be used as a booster down the road, and has those awesome torso and head wings). would i have gotten it if i knew then what i know now? possibly not, but i still don't think it was a poor purchase decision. no matter what carseat i ended up with, there would have to be additional car seat purchases in my future now that we have DD2. at least when the time comes, i have one less booster to worry about.

Synchro246

Awesome encounter!

Southpaw- I was the same way, that's why I went for the RA instead of the MA. I didn't know what the extra $50 was for. . .I wish I had known. ..:(

Tara

Oh, I forgot to mention...while there...I played with the Peg whatever infant seat. Sorry, can't remember the name, I'm horrible with that ya know ;) Starts with a V ... somebody jog my memory here...

Anywho...

I put my now 11mo, nearly 20# baby in there hehe He filled it well, I'll say that!
I really like that seat. No re-adjusting/re-threading harness straps. It has the lever on back to raise the thing up. I'd never seen an infant seat like that before, very cool. And the TSIP, awesome!! I just love that seat!
I have no idea how it installs and all that jazz...I just saw it there and thought "hey, isn't that the one someone recently mentioned on the board as just now being *back* at Target?" So I fiddled with it briefly. Only briefly as once I got it off the base, dh called and would be there momentarily to pick us up. That was the most fun I've had with an infant seat in a while hehe

Synchro246

I can't wait to have this baby to try out some seats just for fun:p . . .if I weren't so scared to leave the house with two kids:eek: .

I can't wait to have this baby to try out some seats just for fun:p . . .if I weren't so scared to leave the house with two kids:eek: .

Come on an outing with me sometime, when I bring all of mine along! Two is totally a piece of cake!

Seriously, though-- the baby carrier and stroller (single, as compact as possible) are your friends. Don't be fooled into thinking you HAVE to have a double stroller. Likely as not, your toddler'll be riding in it, as you carry the babe and try to push/steer the monstrosity. :rolleyes: But at least you'll have someplace to set your huge diaper bag down!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC