Driver VS Passenger side safety?

Blondie87

So a mama on my Infertility board posted a story about her sister getting into an accident with their baby. Well he was on the passenger side. Then she said this-

Oh ya the point I was getting at was that the pediatrician told my sister to always put your car seat on the driver side. Seems backwards right? Well he said most of the injured children that come in were on the passanger side. That the driver cannot see clearly what is happening on that side of the car so you're more likely to get hit on that side. If you turn left at a light you'll get hit on that side. Oh and if you swerve you're more likely to swerve left cause that's the side of the car the driver is on and the side they can see better. He said that yes it seems silly for getting them in and out of the car if you park on the street but that at least that is something you can be in control of. Don't take them out until the coast is clear. You can't control other drivers. Makes sense when explained that way...

Obviously I know Pediatricians don't know everything, or a whole lot about car seats. But this does make sense. I do know there is a safer outboard side, but it's not that much of a safety difference... Right?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I must be a very jaded cynic, because my first thought was that I very much doubt that an ER pediatrician is taking the time to ask "which side were you sitting on?" of accident victims or their parents and then keeping track of the responses. :eek:

As far as I know, there is little to no difference between the safety of driver vs. passenger side (for instance, statistics might show that one year one might be safer than the other, but then the next year, the other one is safer). I think that's a nice theory by the doctor, but I don't believe that there are accident statistics that support it (at least based on what I've read on this site over the years).

I also don't think drivers are going to swerve to the left just because the driver is on the left; drivers are going to swerve to avoid whatever they need to avoid, so if what they need to avoid is on the left, then they'd have to swerve to the right.

Pixels

Some studies show that the driver's side is a smidgeon safer than the passenger's; some studies show that the passenger's side is a smidgeon safer than the driver's. It's a wash.

Blondie87

I must be a very jaded cynic, because my first thought was that I very much doubt that an ER pediatrician is taking the time to ask "which side were you sitting on?" of accident victims or their parents and then keeping track of the responses. :eek:

My friend's sister was told that.. so maybe it wasn't an ER doc or they had extra time to talk to her.

I figured as much at what side was safer. Just wanted to make sure, because it does make sense somewhat that the driver could pay a little better attention to his/her side of the car.

fyrfightermomma

I've been on lots of accidents. I see head on, rear end and each side T boned equally :) I've seen no difference in injuries in kids from where they are sitting (other than the front). If the accident was severe enough to have injuries, it doesn't appear to me to make a difference where they are sitting. Obviously I'm sure there are some nice statistics out tehre but from the "real world" I've seen no real difference. Obviously if there is significant intrusion the child on that side will be injured, but if there were, chances are from the force alone the child will be injured anyways regardless of seating position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC