Car Not Compatible

HEVY

I recently bought a 1995 Chevy Lumina of which no care seat fits. Theres a web site that shows compatibility, funny thing is I actually tried to install a new car seat and it definately did not fit any which way. So I look up the cpmpatibilty list and it stated the Cosco hhb was a good fit. So I preceded to look online where I can buy one. Heres the funny part it's the same car seat I just bought and would not fit in any way. So much for the list. So I put in my daughters car seat from previous car, Cosco Summit hhb. It fit on the passenger side. (I like the car seats in the middle) but the next day I tested it again to make sure it was secure and the bottom pulled out, top was secure pulling back and forth as well as side to side, but when the bottom was tested it just came out about 6 inches. I thought about getting the ride safer travel vest. (only sold in one store and not the right size). But this would be used as a permanant car seat. and needs A tether and of couse the car doesnt have one. but on the web site it says the small can be used with lap/shoulder or lap/tehter. But everywhere else I see it has to be used with a tehter. Well if anyone has any info on this vest ot another seat for this car I sure would appreciate it. Also this car will never fit a seai in the middle whick is a big reason to get the vest. Thanks.

ADS

skaterbabs

You will not ever be able to put a booster in the middle of your back seat because you don't have a shoulder belt in that position. That said, a friend of mine has a Lumina of that era as well, and she was a tech (now expired), so let me give her a call and find out what she says.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Can you lock the seat belt?

Try pulling it all the way out and listen to hear if you have a ratcheting sound as it retracts. Before it is all the way back in try pulling it out again. If you can pull it back out it's not a locking belt. There is another way that belts lock but I'm not familiar with them.

I bet if you used a locking clip---the seat would be in more securely.

Susan

skaterbabs

A lumina of that age likely has locking latchplates, which means the shoulder belt will slide freely, but the lap belts locks the car seat in.

Last edited:

HEVY

The reason I want to get the ride safe is I would be able to use it in the middle with a tether. Also there is a locking clip on the seatbelt, the problem with the car is the buckle doesn't come out from the back of the seats they come out of the seats about 3-4 inches from the back, where most seat belts are. And because of that the seat doesn't secure tightly against the back.

scatterbunny

Oooohhhh, forward-of-the-bight seatbelts. :( The bight is the crack where the vehicle seatback meets the seating area. Belts that come out of the seat forward of the bight are HARD to deal with. That's what I have in one spot of my 1994 Mazda MPV. The only luck I have had with it is a seat with a long belt path--the Britax Regent.

Are all your belts this way?

How tall and heavy is the child? How old?

Do you only have a top tether anchor in the center?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A lumina of that age likely has locking latchplates, which means the shoulder belt will slide freely, but the lap belts locks the car seat in.

Really? The seatbelts weren't required to lock until 1997, so it might not be locking at all. But yeah, It might have huge 'locking latchplates' on the metal/male end, and if they are coming loose, then you can just give it a single half-twist to keep it tight before buckling it into the female/buckle/red button side. www.cpsafety.com has a page on 'locking in a child seat' and www.carseatsite.com has a 'do you need a locking clip?' page that should help figure out the seatbelts a lot.

HEVY

Sorry what I meant by locking clip is the clip that comes with the car seat to use on shoulder belts. And yes all the belts and buckles are forward of the bight. No tether hooks but from what I hear most (hopefully mine) dealers will put the first one in free. I will probably put in two, one in the middle cause thats where I want her, and one in back passenger side so I have the option of more upper safety with the shoulder belt. I have been in contact with the ride safe travel vest people and it sounds promising, but my daughter is 35 lbs and 38 inches which happens to be thier minimal requirement.

skaterbabs

Julie, my '89 Corsica had locking latchplates in all seating positions, and was the same frame as the Lumina.

Kris has a Lumina from this era, and I meant to call her this afternoon but got side tracked :rolleyes: , but will do it after church tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC