Coccoro on the plane - small enough to stow??

ChristyH

I'm traveling tomorrow with my 18 month old and I am bringing the Coccoro. On the plane ride there I have checked and the flight is only 1/2 full so I'm almost 99% sure when I get there tomorrow that we'll be able to put her in a seat and install the Coccoro.
Unfortunately on the plane ride back in a week the flight is already full so she'll have to sit in my lap.

Do you think the Coccoro is small enough that I might be able to stow it in the overhead compartment or am I going to have to gate check it?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

It does fit in the overhead bins (on full size planes), according to the Combi rep. :) I'm sure it will count as your carry-on, though. I don't think it will fit on a regional jet, but a regular carry-on suitcase doesn't either.

I'll let others bombard you with info on lap children. ;)

Pixels

Depends on the airline and the exact aircraft you will be flying on, as the size of those bins overhead and the space by your feet will vary. Check with your carrier; most list the carryon dimensions right on their website.

ChristyH

I'll let others bombard you with info on lap children. ;)

Trust me, I know and I hate it but I have to take this trip and simply cannot afford to buy 2 tickets. :( I do know that it's safer to fly than to drive and I feel a little better knowing she'll be in her seat on the plane flying there at least and I'm praying a seat opens up on the flight home and I'll get lucky.

According the Delta they do not count car seats as carry on luggage but if for some reason they decide to then I'll just check my carry on suitcase and carry on the car seat. I'm much less worried about my clothes than I am the Coccoro.

Pixels

Delta's rules for carryons:
# Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.
# Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).
# Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

crunchierthanthou

According the Delta they do not count car seats as carry on luggage but if for some reason they decide to then I'll just check my carry on suitcase and carry on the car seat. I'm much less worried about my clothes than I am the Coccoro.

I think that's for when you are buying a seat for the child or the restraint will at least be in use. They might let it go at the counter, though. I'm sure those agents won't think twice about it or will just expect that you're gate checking it.

ChristyH

From their website -

A fare-paying passenger may carry one bag plus one personal item on the plane. The following infant items may be brought in addition to the one bag carry-on allowance:

* Booster seats or other infant seats
* Bassinets Diaper bags

I only have a carry on suitcase that I stick a small diaper bag in so I only have 1 carry on then the car seat.
It's not a big seat at all, I'm thinking it will fit and since it's so lightweight I'm just hoping they let me stick it up there.

Pixels

I think that's for when you are buying a seat for the child or the restraint will at least be in use. They might let it go at the counter, though. I'm sure those agents won't think twice about it or will just expect that you're gate checking it.

A fare-paying passenger may carry one bag plus one personal item on the plane. The following infant items may be brought in addition to the one bag carry-on allowance:

* Bassinets Diaper bags

As a carry-on item, it must meet our carry-on size restrictions.
Looks like she can take it on without it counting as a carry-on.

crunchierthanthou

From their website -

* Bassinets Diaper bags

I only have a carry on suitcase that I stick a small diaper bag in so I only have 1 carry on then the car seat.
It's not a big seat at all, I'm thinking it will fit and since it's so lightweight I'm just hoping they let me stick it up there.

That's good to know. :)

Vera told me she took it as a carry-on and that it did fit in the bin. :thumbsup: They have a Coccoro travel bag that is coming out soon (this month?). When she told me that I thought, "great, but if I'm taking a Coccoro on a plane, I'm using it on the plane." :p It's nice to know it should fit though.

ChristyH

Awesome! Thank you!

I haven't flown since 1999 and I'm freaked out enough as it is and I really, really don't want to have to check it if I don't have to.

We're going to be on a pretty big plane so I'm really hoping it fits!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My cousin's family flew with their two kids, but could only afford one seat. They brought the Scenera for the baby to use at their destination, and the RNXT for the older child. They put the older child in the Scenera on the plane, and folded the XT and stowed it. Had no problems. :) The Coccoro is shorter and not much taller than a folded XT! They've also carried on and stowed guitars, which are larger than a Coccoro.

jubgulia

I was forced to gate check the Coccoro twice (I think it was United?) and they wouldn't give me the option of waiting to see if there was a seat available. Which there was the second time. :mad: A couple of my travelmates were also forced to check their carryons because they didn't fit in the shrunken size guide thingy. I think almost everyone's were too big, but they only checked a certain # of people's.

ChristyH

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I am hoping if I am just super sweet the agents they will at least let me bring it on board. My husband flies Delta almost weekly and he said they have always been extremely accomodating with him. I just hope they are just as much with me.

InternationalMama

Please update when you get back and let me know if this works. I'm dying to know! When I was pregnant I asked on another board if there were any carseats that would fit in the overhead bin and be allowed as carry-ons and was told no.

One of the reasons was that they aren't actually allowed to stow that kind of thing in an overhead compartment even if it fits. So try to find a bag to put it in if you can. I have a stroller that fits in the overhead compartment and was told that it -has- to be in its bag.

Eclipsepearl

I was a Flight Attendant for 13 years. Forget the agents! Put the gate-check tag on the seat as the agents instruct. Take the car seat to the door of the plane. Ask the Flight Attendants if it's okay to bring it on board. Promise to bring it back out and gate-check it if it doesn't fit in the overhead.

The critical issue here is NOT what is allowed but if there's room! If everyone brings half of their worldly belongings, no, you wont get it on, technically allowed or not.

Remember too that seats often pop open last minute so use that as an excuse. "I was hoping for some misconnects!" tell the agent. Believe me, I saw plenty of empty places on supposedly overbooked flights.

So forget the whole deal of whether it's allowed. If there's no room, there's no room, allowed or not allowed. Be cooperative and nice and they may give you a break!

Good luck!

ChristyH

Well there were seats available on both flights so she got to sit comfy in her seat rear facing on the plane going and coming home.

And let me tell you that the Coccoro is a DREAM to fly with, it fits awesome rear facing even in the little planes and was very easy to install. The flight attendants were ga-ga over her seat too, it was so cute.

And super easy to install in our rental car too, awesome travel seat!!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
And let me tell you that the Coccoro is a DREAM to fly with, it fits awesome rear facing even in the little planes and was very easy to install. The flight attendants were ga-ga over her seat too, it was so cute.

And super easy to install in our rental car too, awesome travel seat!!

YES YES YES!

I posted a thread about flying with it a couple weeks ago. It is an AMAZING travel seat. I installed it on four planes (each a different type) within seconds, and had no trouble in our rental car, either.

On the way home, we had just gone through security when I noticed another Coccoro on the conveyor belt behind us. I talked to the mom and she said she bought it just for traveling with since they have the "bigger version" at home. (They have a Zeus :eek:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC