Question Maclaren Repairs

Mylilboyblue

My friend has a 2003 Maclaren Techno XT that really needs some repairs. The wheels need to be replaced (or at the least re-aligned), the brakes don't work anymore, and the little foot folding part (the plastic that you put your foot on to fold) broke off leaving just a metal lever needs to be replaced. The frame is great, the ride is still smooth and the fabric is still intact (just a bit faded). She just ordered a new canopy for it since the old one is broken.

She really LOVES the stroller, but is wondering if it is worth it to fix? She is a bit pissed since the only place to get it repaired around here is in Soho (NYC) and you can only go there in person. Also - she is wondering if they will replace her solid rubber wheels with the crappy plastic wheels that are on the newer versions of the XT? She loves the solid rubber wheels.

Do any of you stroller Gurus have any idea what to expect from repairing a Mac? She asked me to ask you guys since I am always taking about how informative you are when it comes to car-seats and strollers....

TIA!

Christine

ADS

lovinwaves

Well considering there are deals to be had on 2003-2004 XT's I'd say scrap the stroller and buy another used one. Maybe
she can sell the skins on her and other parts to help pay for a "new" one?

I might even be interested in the skins :)

I think when I looked into getting my Maclaren fixed, not only was I going to be paying for shipping, but the price of the part and labor was outrageous.

Mylilboyblue

She did call the repair place in Soho and they said that they can fix it. It would $40 for the wheels, $25 for the brakes, and a bit more for the folding pedal. They didn't mention not having parts. Hmmmmm....she really doesn't want the plastic wheels they have now. Maybe she can just deal. She is having one more baby and she wanted too keep it for the last kid. I told her to buy a newer used one, but she doesn't want to give this one up.

Why did they do away with the older rubber grooved wheels! :mad:

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Yeah, they told me a while back that they will no longer be storing parts for models after they hit the 5yr mark...so once they are gone, they are gone. They also will not realign old wheels, they insist on replacing them and then doing a new alignment on them.

Sounds like it's really up to her...I know back in the day, I paid $85 for an overhaul...that was before any parts/labor, plus the $20 in shipping there & back...but for me it was for a collectible stroller...one that I plan on keeping for grandkids, etc so it didn't bother me to put the money into something that I loved.

Mylilboyblue

Don't get me wrong...it is totally functional, pushes really smooth considering it is 6 years old. It is just that the brakes and the plastic part of the lever to step on (to fold) is broken off. She can still fold it, it opens and closes well. Maybe she should just use it and not worry about repairing it seeing as the repairs aren't vital to using the stroller (well other than the brakes).

She did order the new canopy which was just because the old one wouldn't stay open anymore and it was faded and rusty in spots.

:shrug-shoulders:

BabyGearCollector

...but for me it was for a collectible stroller...one that I plan on keeping for grandkids, etc so it didn't bother me to put the money into something that I loved.

Mel, which collectable Mac did you get restored? I've still got two 2000 Macs - a still-new Louisiana Vogue and used Marseilles Mistral - purchased from Janet. I'd love to be an authorized repair center for Maclaren and other nicely made brands. The nearest Mac center to me is the one in NY, some 300 miles away. I sure wouldn't gouge anyone for stroller repairs. I'd set my own self up as an all-brands stroller repair center, but the liability insurance I'd need would probably cost me an arm and a leg.

Dave

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC