Introductions

SpaceAngel

Since I am new, I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Heather, and I have been lurking since around Thanksgiving. I don't even have any kids. It's kinda crazy. Another message board had a link to the Kyle video, and since Iwas bored, on a whim I did a search on the Regent to see what it was all about. Found my way here, and the rest is history. I have had dreams about carseats and scrutinize the seats that come through the McDonalds drive-thru. Anyway, hello!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi there and welcome from a carseat obsessed mom. Do you work at McD's? I bet you can tell us some hair raising misuse stories from the drive through window vantage point. :eek: Maybe you can convince McD's to hand out child passenger safety brochures of some sort with kid's meals, like a car safety happy meal. :)

scatterbunny

Welcome to the boards, Heather--and to the ranks of the carseat-obsessed. :p We'd all love to hear some of your McD's misuse stories sometime!

And just think, when/if you do have kids, you'll be so well-prepared (something few of us can really say WE were; most found our way to the correct path after a time of relative car-safety ignorance).

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
SpaceAngel -

I just found this website about a week ago - and my child just turned four years old. So thumbs-up to taking an interest in child safety when you don't even have kids of your own ;)

Maria

lovinwaves

Hi there and welcome from a carseat obsessed mom. Do you work at McD's? I bet you can tell us some hair raising misuse stories from the drive through window vantage point. :eek: Maybe you can convince McD's to hand out child passenger safety brochures of some sort with kid's meals, like a car safety happy meal. :)

What an awesome idea Jean!!! :D

Welcome to the forum Spaceangel!! Just so you know, you're not the only one on here that does not have any kids. ;)
The people on here are amazing and very talented Technicians and CPS Advocates. Enjoy!!! :)

SpaceAngel

Yes, I work part-time at McDonalds, and full-time at a daycare center. I am a licensed teacher who cannot find a teaching postion.

I did have a quick question about car seat techs. When you do checks and the like, is it a voluntary position?

I could tell you tons of drive thru stories. Babies who can't be more than two, if that, sitting on a seat with just a seatbelt...or nothing. Kids sitting IN a carseat, but with the harnesses unfastened. It has gotten kind of funny lately, everytime a car with a kid in it pulls away from the window, I find myselt telling my coworkers, "That kid should have been a booster." "He could ahve still been facing rear" "Those straps were WAY too lose on that one". They all love me there, so they are indulgent. :D

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'm kid free...well sorta. I teach Kindergarten...so most days I have about 20 kids! But none of them come home with me. I have a God-Daughter and 15 neices and newphews.

Susan

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm kid free...well sorta. I teach Kindergarten...so most days I have about 20 kids! But none of them come home with me. I have a God-Daughter and 15 neices and newphews.

I'm similar. I don't have any kids either, but I am also a teacher and have nieces. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The vast majority of technicians are employed by police departments, fire departments or health care. Many of us here are volunteers. I sometimes do inspections for a fee as well.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm similar. I don't have any kids either, but I am also a teacher and have nieces. :)

I also don't have kids of my own. When people ask (since I talk about them all the time) I say, "I rent my children."

But actually it's a reverse rental - I'm often paid to hang out with kids: I'm a teacher, I do respite for 4-5 families who's kids have disabiliities, have babysat for forever. I also have 7 nieces and nephews.

I love the idea of a CPS "Happy Meal." We gotta work on what the toy or prize would be. . .

Longhorn Lady

Welcome!
I'm kidless also. I do student teach right now, and am a nanny, so I do have kids ride with me pretty often. And my nieces too!

SpaceAngel

I have cousins, ages almost 7 and almost 8. They do not ride with me as much as they used to, but I think next time they are with me, to check out how they sit etc. If they don't fit, I guess I will go get some no-back boosters, the most affordable ones I can, to have when they do ride with me. They don't like it? Tough. I guess we don't go to Chuck E. Cheese, or McDonalds, or the park or wherever.

scatterbunny

As long as your vehicle provides the adequate head support needed (seatback or headrest at least up to the tips of their ears), backless boosters are fine. They make sure the belts are in proper place so they can protect and not cause injury in a crash. They don't, however, protect in side impacts like highback boosters do. And highbacks are necessary if the vehicle does not provide head support.

Check out Prorider boosters. They sell boxes of 2 backless boosters for just under $25 with free shipping. I'm going to buy a couple sets with my tax refund to give to some of my daughter's kindergarten classmates. They are in nothing but a seatbelt (sometimes in the front seat), even though that's against the law in my state. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC